corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » how many of you have a car loan and how much did u borrow??

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how many of you have a car loan and how much did u borrow??
corsa120

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically me and my mrs are considering a loan for a car.... we are completely debt free and i mean debt free........ bar our mortgage which is in a very good position, we have not had a loan for approx 8 years now between us but we do use credit cards etc to pay for a holiday blah blah just to keep our credit ratings up... we saved up for our last car so no loan was needed etc etc etc however.............

we are considering a loan for the first time for a decent car for around 15k but we really dont no whether to do it or not, we are both in fairly good solid jobs bringing home enough money to comfortably pay the loan back, its just i cant seem to get the amount out of my head it seems like such alot of money.

we would not be using the loan just for a car as we would like to use some for couple of home improvements, plus we have 5k put on top from the sale of our current car so we'd have 20k for nice motor and few other bits and bobs, sorry its a life story im just interested in what u guys all do and what you have borrowed now or previously?
N16K

22nd Jun 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People who say they have no loans / finance are just playing internet baller, it is easy, you just lie! If you can afford it go for it.

[Edited on 22-06-2012 by N16K]
BluKoo

22nd Jun 12 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by N16K
People who say they have no loans / finance are just playing internet baller

Shite
I have no loans, but my car isn't worth that much.
I don't think any of my mates have loans for their cars either. Then again most my mates work in oil.

[Edited on 22-06-2012 by BluKoo]
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jun 12 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have, borrowed 5k, just paid it off. Looking at borrowing another 10k for a new car soon.
Bart

22nd Jun 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took out a 10k loan for 22k car.
My previous car was £8k and then £2k before that.

I was in the same position and infact had also just had a baby at the same time

But the way I looked at my loan was that it was always going to be less than what the car was worth, so worst case I could make a quick sale to pay off my loan.

I dont regret getting my loan and had previously had a few other loans about to finish (my NAS box, £2.5k TV etc).
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Jun 12 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no finance, loans or debts bar mortgage but m car is shit and I hate it, I'm considering going the other way entirely and getting a brand new Evoque just because I could! Probably won't though as I'll shit it if it comes to it
N16K

22nd Jun 12 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:
People who say they have no loans / finance are just playing internet baller

Shite
I have no loans, but my car isn't worth that much.
I don't think any of my mates have loans for their cars either. Then again most my mates work in oil.

[Edited on 22-06-2012 by BluKoo]

fine or have cheaper cars! not really answering the posters question to be fair.

Ben J

22nd Jun 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no loans or finance etc. Just mortgage.

We had a loan a few years back for Jen's old car. Paid off now though.

You can often get loans at better rates than finance so it's worth comparing figures. Best would be some 0% finance of you can get it.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

22nd Jun 12 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make sure you don't get a loan for the whole value of the car. Basically if you get into trouble you can always sell the car to pay it off and not have anything outstanding.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

23rd Jun 12 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have my mortgage and credit cards, paid off each month! I'm after a new car and in two minds put a few K on top of Golf and get something half decent or take out bit of finance / loan and get something better.

Not a fan of owing money, I like to save up and pay outright for my stuff! But obviously can't always have the nicest of things!

Just don't get finance on a car over 3yrs then decide after 1yr you no longer want it then repeat and get more finance on another nice car for 3yrs turn your 15k into 20k and so on!

Pay for it outright and you know what your able to spend!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Tiesto

23rd Jun 12 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took out a 8k loan on a 14k car.

I can comfortably afford the repayments and if I need to pay it back I have enough equity in the car to do so.
AndyKent

23rd Jun 12 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd quite happily borrow half the cost, more than that I think I'd start getting itchy feet.

More if it was a 0% deal and it wasn't costing me anything to take it out.
Nic Barnes

23rd Jun 12 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If like you say can comfortably pay it off without any worries then I can't see any issues or worries. To be honest it would be easier to pay 15k off in a loan than if
I had 15k and wanted to buy something. Easier to spend money that isn't real.

Just think about what it is you spend that money on now each month, if it's spare, get among a posh car.
Nic Barnes

23rd Jun 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
People who say they have no loans / finance are just playing internet baller, it is easy, you just lie! If you can afford it go for it.

Truth.
nathy_87

23rd Jun 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since my Polo I've always had finace for my cars, it doens't bother me. I can't afford to pay a car outright, those who can are lucky so good for them.
JordyCarter

23rd Jun 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt ever get finance or loans, i always just save. Im normally the want everything yesterday guy but for some reason im against loans and finance etc
Fro

23rd Jun 12 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most people could afford to buy a car outright as they're that cheap nowadays they just choose to get something flash and get finance etc.

I used to be the same, bought last few cars without loan or finance and wouldn't have it any other way now
Nath

23rd Jun 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished my last car loan about 3 years ago. Would like a shiney new car but I enjoy having no loan!
sc0ott

23rd Jun 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My loan will be paid off in september. Cant wait tbh, ive saved so much after i bought a diesel, and to have an extra £255 saved a month will be even better.
A2H GO

23rd Jun 12 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if I had the money in the bank that I'd saved for a long time, I wouldn't buy a car outright. I'd still have a low interest loan and have the money sitting in the bank.
Ben G

23rd Jun 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JordyCarter
Wouldnt ever get finance or loans, i always just save. Im normally the want everything yesterday guy but for some reason im against loans and finance etc

this is where the old have you got 200k for a house debate starts poking it's head.

so, did you pay cash for your house?

mortgage is the same as a loan/finance/whatever you call money lending.

i've had 3 cars on finance which is the same as a loan. nothing wrong with it if you can comfortably afford the repayments and know you have good job security.
micra_pete
Premium Member

23rd Jun 12 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

90% of Posters in this thread saying they don't have loans / would never have a loan live with their parents.

If you can pay it, do it.
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

23rd Jun 12 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had one when I just turned 18 to get my corsa. Loaned £1300 and just finished paying for it over 3 years.

Way I see it if you can afford to pay it every month then why not.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
Matt L

23rd Jun 12 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Even if I had the money in the bank that I'd saved for a long time, I wouldn't buy a car outright. I'd still have a low interest loan and have the money sitting in the bank.

that seems the oddest mentality to me ever tbh, why would you pay for money you already have? yes it could be a low interest loan but still paying for it when you already had it which makes it a waste of money.

I have never had a loan/finanace and only use a credit card to get cash back (it gets paid off in full each month anyway).

im under the firm belief that if you cant afford it dont have it (obviously bar a mortgage, thats the only loan i intend to ever get).

to answer the original question, I have never had a loan so cant comment from first hand experience, but a friend of mine had a loan for a car and he to this day claims its the worst thing he ever did, hes still paying it off and hasnt had the car for a good few years now.
Ben J

23rd Jun 12 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:

Truth.

I have no finance or loans. No lie.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » how many of you have a car loan and how much did u borrow?? 23 database queries in 0.0132799 seconds