corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Show me the money

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Show me the money
Gavin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Jul 12 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... trades men (plumbers/drainage) earning 50-100k a year

Is that the smell of bullshit? or am I in the wrong profession

pew pew pew pewwwww
Root

11th Jul 12 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think they earn that much imo.

when I was contemplating what do for a career. It was electrician/plumber as people always want these trades, but I found they earn about the same, only an electrician doesn't have to put his hands in shit.

And we get about £15 an hour, so can't see a plumber getting 50-100k a year
All Torque

11th Jul 12 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you run the company then maybe....
James

11th Jul 12 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't it Pimlico Plumbers? They are renowned for making a shit load, the founder is a multi millionaire.
RichR
Premium Member

11th Jul 12 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know a guy who runs his own drains company, started off working for dynorod then set up by himself who now lives in a £2.5m house, has a £20k motorbike and a car collection to make your eyes water. All that without a single academic qualification or privileged upbringing so id guess with graft then yes, you could earn that kind of money. Although every plumber I know is scratting for work and struggling now compared to a few years ago
Gavin
Premium Member

11th Jul 12 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, its about Pimlico Plumbers

The owner (Charlie!!) is on 1m a year apparently
Most of the trade men where putting down 50k plus!! which had me scratching my head - its not like they run the business - our man CHARILIE does innit! lol

pew pew pew pewwwww
James

11th Jul 12 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pimlico service some of the most affluent parts of London and have some of the wealthiest people in the country on their client list. Interview with the founder here, he talks about salary:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-1619566/Millionaires-interview-Charlie-Mullins.html
All Torque

11th Jul 12 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also have you ever seen the numberplates on their vans?
Gavin
Premium Member

11th Jul 12 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm I guess 24x7 call out will boost up the salary by abit. I used to do oncall (within IT) and saw the benefits at the end of each month....

Still quite alot considering. Working all hours of the day isn't a weird concept, I'm sure many do it on here. I know I do. hmmmm. Greed is starting to kick in now

pew pew pew pewwwww
James

11th Jul 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, I'm sure Pimlico is a great company to work for, but I'm pretty sure any experienced plumber with a client base in the affluent areas of London could make well over £50k a year.
Jakey
Premium Member

11th Jul 12 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've seen BOG1 BOG2 D4AIN(?) and W4TER
harrisp

11th Jul 12 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
I've seen BOG1 BOG2 D4AIN(?) and W4TER

Sure I saw rad 1 and rad 5.

We work for a plumbing company and their lads are on 32k basic and usually make bonuses of 5k plus per contract.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

11th Jul 12 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pimlico are always on capital fm donating money and bidding stupid amounts for concert tickets for charity etc.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
James

11th Jul 12 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm watching it now. Biggest shock is the call centre manager on £120k, he's the owner's son but I would say he is overpaid by about £80k.
Paul_J

11th Jul 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I watched this...

That's the plumbing place you see as you pull into waterloo station right? Often wondered about that.

- I was shocked by the amount the plumbers were paid... £80-£150k seemed fairly average. They must have to be earning the company a LOT more money to be paid that.

The CEO was a bit of a twat, I'd hate to have to work for him - seemed to be brain dead and not really know wtf was going on in his company. Where was their HR department ?

I agree with James, the bosses son was overpaid considerably!! bearing in mind his team just needed a few people to get a 3k rise, I think he should've stood up and took the pay cut - instead he let other people take the cuts?!
Paul_J

11th Jul 12 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol their website is fucked at the mo, clearly they don't pay their IT staff enough

http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/
quote:
Too many forwards have been detected for this request.

stack trace
at ()
in SF_ROOT_DIR/lib/vendor/Subdomains/symfony/lib/controller/sfController.class.php line 182 ...
if ($this->getActionStack()->getSize() >= $this->maxForwards)

{

// let's kill this party before it turns into cpu cycle hell

throw new sfForwardException('Too many forwards have been detected for this request.');

}

// check for a module generator config file
Tomnova16
Premium Member

11th Jul 12 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

///M

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Gavin
Premium Member

11th Jul 12 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the HR guy was the worse... clearly didnt give a shit!

pew pew pew pewwwww
Paul_J

11th Jul 12 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gavin
the HR guy was the worse... clearly didnt give a shit!

the PR guy you mean? the one on £57k?

- thing is... going from 57k->56k - he hasn't actually lost £1k... due to tax etc, he's only lost a little bit really.

I just read an article interviewing the owner of the place previously and what's interesting is that the plumbers could only earn the 80-120k if they worked 7 days a week and were on 24 hour call. That kind of makes sense then and I now see why that guy didn't really want to give up salary for the call centre girls. Ultimately he only earns that much by making himself available 24x7 - the call centre girl can go home and put her feet up and not worry about being bothered.
James

11th Jul 12 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the concept of the programme but they have basically advertised the fact that if you work there you get:

- No proper pay structure
- No regular pay review

I also can't believe people are working in London on £18k. It costs me £3k a year just to get into London FFS.
James

11th Jul 12 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think it's a fucking stupid concept. It shouldn't be down to high earners to fund the low earners. The company should either increase the wage bucket or expect people to quit. All this has seemed to achieve is piss everyone off.
Paul_J

11th Jul 12 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I like the concept of the programme but they have basically advertised the fact that if you work there you get:

- No proper pay structure
- No regular pay review

I also can't believe people are working in London on £18k. It costs me £3k a year just to get into London FFS.

Exactly, anyone who works in HR must have been laughing quite hard at that company structure.

I bet none of them get a pay rise in line with inflation, which means each year you work there you essentially get a pay cut. Also a joke that they only got pay rises when they went to the CEO.

They were scratching their head at why the new guy was on 21k, but ultimately the other girls were probably hired on 18k a few years ago - then with inflation / rise in market rate for the job, 21k was probably the current market rate. The girls should have been getting a pay review each year and some form of rise to counter for this, but clearly it wasn't happening.

Also it made me laugh how the guys in the van work shop, they got exactly what they asked for on the sheet they submitted. So one guy went from 25.5k -> 32k ... another guy went from £31k-£40k.... and then some guys just stayed on £35k or whatever. It is still a total mess.

Plus, if I was the CEO - I would be furious at the fact, at a drop of a hat they can suddenly find they can save £31k a year in costs in the workshop. Why the fuck haven't they done that sooner??! - Essentially they've been wasting £31k a year.

I would fucking hate to work at that company - just such a fucking shambles, would be impossible to expect any career progression / predictable rises.
James

11th Jul 12 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking hell that PR manager gave up £1k a year and they are making out he was a saviour. Am I right in thinking the £120k call centre manager lost nothing? What a load of bollocks.
Paul_J

11th Jul 12 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
In fact the more I think about it, the more I think it's a fucking stupid concept. It shouldn't be down to high earners to fund the low earners. The company should either increase the wage bucket or expect people to quit. All this has seemed to achieve is piss everyone off.

Yeah it is dumb. Proper management and reviews serve the purpose of determining an employees contribution to the company and the value they bring. The salary is a renumeration based on how much the person is worth to the company.
e.g.
Can we replace this person easily?
What is the market rate for a person like this?
How much would it cost to train someone new?
How much will a recruiter charge us to re hire a person like this?
How hard does this person work compared to their peers?
What is this person's skill set like compared to his peers?
How much experience in the particular job has this person got?
Overall how much value is produced / saved / created by this person?
How does this person fit into the organisation and where will they progress in the future?

- These things are useful to determine the salary.

Instead, if you say the better paid people need to take pay cuts, to pay for the low paid people, then you end up with a work force working for under market rate? - no one is happy.

Also just because 'Dave' earns £40k ... doesn't mean 'Bob' doing the same job on £31k should be on 40k... for all we know, Bob may not work as hard, or not have the same skills or experience. It's just nonsense.
Colin

12th Jul 12 at 05:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was in the construction game quite a few of the tradesmen working on sites doing price work instead of salaried were in the 40% tax bracket. That was in the boom days though different story now.

Also possible I guess if self employed and robbing the tax man but theres always the threat of him catching up with you.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Show me the money 23 database queries in 0.0138390 seconds