corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jul 12 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/6271

Following the above link will explain, but basically it's a government petition to get the title 'Engineer' protected for accredited engineers as it is in most of Europe where the profession holds a more respectable image. If 100,000 signatures are gained by mid September it will have to be discussed in parliament and hopefully the law will be changed.

It's something I feel quite strongly about and believe it is definitely worthy of protected status.

If you could take just a couple of moments to read the short brief and sign it I would be really grateful.

Thanks

MX5 Project Thread
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Jul 12 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the engineering sector in this country has more problems than what the people in it are called.

'People believe that engineers simply fix things, but we don't: we invent things. '

Go ahead then...

[Edited on 12-07-2012 by Ian]
Ellis

12th Jul 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic, fed up with self acclaimed engineers in my office. I suggest Mr is replaced with En before first name
Russ

12th Jul 12 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I invent solutions and fix problems. Am I an engineer?
adiohead

12th Jul 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The first engineers were self taught.
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my trade doesnt have qualifications. yet it takes 2 years of on the job learning to become an engineer, and a brain of course. so why should that take my title off me?
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jul 12 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eckers90
my trade doesnt have qualifications. yet it takes 2 years of on the job learning to become an engineer, and a brain of course. so why should that take my title off me?

What's your job?

MX5 Project Thread
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a commissioning engineer i commission heating and chilled water systems.
without me heating and chilled water systems cannot work. they would stand no chance of working, they get installed. then i take them from a static completion to a completion up and running.
mainly on construction sites, anywhere from 10 units to 1000 unit systems.
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jul 12 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you're a technician, not an engineer.

MX5 Project Thread
csweatherston

12th Jul 12 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or a fitter.
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21

why? my job description is commissioning engineer, what part of my job makes me a technician?

and fitter? really? i think you havent read what i do properly. i dont fit nothing.
when i get there the system is installed.
Ryan

12th Jul 12 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say you're a Tech reallt. It sounds like you're not even time served? Not like its a problem.

As Ian says, bigger problems than this in the sector, and the fact that people are actually worried about it just highlights the fact.
Aaron

12th Jul 12 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of my colleagues call themselves IT Engineers

Monkey Technician is more like it
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jul 12 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

why? my job description is commissioning engineer, what part of my job makes me a technician?

and fitter? really? i think you havent read what i do properly. i dont fit nothing.

This is the whole point. The word engineer is being wrongly used in job titles. You're a perfect example of this. Just because your job title says you're an engineer, that doesn't mean you are one.

A real engineer is someone who invents and designs the product and software you are installing. You're a technician, whether your job title says otherwise or not.

MX5 Project Thread
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really. im sick of stuck up uni grads thinking they're the only people who deserve to be called engineers.
ive done my job for 5 years, its un heard of at the moment as its only just becoming recognised. but im extremely switched on and extremely good at my job. considering im 22 and assistant manager/engineer at my current company. time served hands on is way better than time served in a classroom. and cars is a perfect example. i know a lot of people not a qualification to their name and theyd blow a lot of fully qualified mechanics out the water, its all bollocks.

[Edited on 12-07-2012 by eckers90]
Hammer

12th Jul 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have 15 'engineers' in work.

You are lucky if 5 of them are good enough to be deemed an 'engineer'.
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
We have 15 'engineers' in work.

You are lucky if 5 of them are good enough to be deemed an 'engineer'.

i fully agree with you a lot are useless. but not everyone.
Dave

12th Jul 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

What part of it makes you an engineer? What have you actually engineered?

Someone making components for aeroplane engines is an engineer. Someone who fixes household appliances, for example, isn't.
Edd

12th Jul 12 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You feel quite strongly about some people being called engineers?

Seriously?
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
quote:
quote:

Someone making components for aeroplane engines is an engineer. Someone who fixes household appliances, for example, isn't.

so a dude working at a factory watching machinery thats churning out engine parts 20 times a minute is an engineer? turn it in.
ajscorsa

12th Jul 12 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave
quote:
quote:

so a dude working at a factory watching machinery thats churning out engine parts 20 times a minute is an engineer? turn it in.

I think you forget they have to set the machine up, fix any problems and inaccuracies.

My brother is an engineer with rolls royce and operate robot arms to do his stuff for him but its a hell of alot more than pushing buttons and sitting watching them do their thing
Dave

12th Jul 12 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More so than a "dude" who commissions someone elses work, yes.
John

12th Jul 12 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love how people with an engineering degree get annoyed at this. Massively anal.
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but according to dave hes not an engineer, i fully agree with you that your brother is an engineer, but dave is saying an engineer is someone who engineers something.
a chilled water system is designed, installed, commissioned. it takes every step to "engineer" it. without one of those steps it wouldnt be complete, there for isnt engineered.
i believe everyone in those 3 steps is an engineer.
neil h

12th Jul 12 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh I don't think the petition really puts across the argument properly. The issue isn't the lack of graduates. Simply being a graduate should not grant you the title of engineer. Iirc in places like Europe you need a degree in your field and acreditation by a professional body (Ieng or equivalent minimum). If there's any argument for protected status for the title engineer, then that's the criteria I would like to see.

Tbh it should be protected, there are to many self proclaimed engineers who really aren't.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title 23 database queries in 0.0131140 seconds