corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » AppSung

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author AppSung
A2H GO

User status: Offline
7th Aug 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else sad enough to have been following along in the current Apple/Samsung lawsuit?

I think its doing Apple a lot of damage, uncovering all the 'magic' and unknown workings behind the products.

Numerous iPhone prototype designs here:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/31/3210809/apple-iphone-prototype-pictures-cad-files-new#3616428

According to Samsung, this Sony device inspired the iPhone

Today Apple claims Smasung copied its App Icons:

Cavey

7th Aug 12 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone is suing everyone aren't they? Does it make a difference to the consumer?
A2H GO

7th Aug 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might mean eventually companies can't patent trivial stuff that improves the user experience like swipe to unlock, pinch to zoom, scroll bounce etc.

On the flipside it might force companies to become more innovative.
Sam
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather these handset manufacturers concentrated on building reliable phones/phone operating systems instead of concentrating on suing each over what sometimes seems to be the most pathetic of lawsuits.
A2H GO

7th Aug 12 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Apple have got a case though:

Sam
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But where do we draw the line though?

For example, TVs and monitors these days look pretty much identical, should the manufacturers be making them in different colours for argument's sake to avoid being sued for making their products look similar?

Kinda what's happening with phones IMO.
AndyKent

7th Aug 12 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pisses me off that both Apple and Samsung can charge so much for phones yet wasting millions suing each other.

Only people winning are lawyers.
Rob_Quads

7th Aug 12 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does get a tricky one. Part of the problem is that patents have been granted for things which are a bit too generic IMO

This is quite a good picture

I think this differs from things like TVs as they have all followed the same designed changes.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HTC and Nokia have found their own visual style in a world of multi touch smartphones, so why can't Samsung design something unique?

Dom

7th Aug 12 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO

http://upl0ad.org/images/untitled.jpg

That the bevel is similar?

You also have the F700 which was released prior to the iPhone and had a single home button, slot type ear piece and icon based OS. You could argue that the Galaxy S was merely an improvement on a design they already held.

The main issue is patent offices being too relaxed in granting patents or even granting patents when they already exist ie: Neonode's swipe to unlock. They should be a bit more frugal, especially when it comes to the noninnovative and stupidly obvious ideas.

Edit - The F700 for anyone that doesn't know the design....

[Edited on 07-08-2012 by Dom]
Dom

7th Aug 12 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
It does get a tricky one. Part of the problem is that patents have been granted for things which are a bit too generic IMO

This is quite a good picture

http://cdn4.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Apple-samsing-before-and-after.png

I think this differs from things like TVs as they have all followed the same designed changes.

Similarly -

As Picasso said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal". And Steve Jobs was a big fan of that quote
A2H GO

7th Aug 12 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

http://upl0ad.org/images/untitled.jpg

That the bevel is similar?

Its more blantantly obvious than that, even the UI is the same. This was perhaps a result of said internal email from Samsung head to designers at the time:

“All this time we’ve been paying all our attention to Nokia, and concentrated our efforts on things like Folder, Bar, Slide,” Shin wrote in the email, dated February of 2010, just one month before Samsung announced what would become its first extremely successful Android smartphone, the Galaxy S. “Yet when our UX is compared to the unexpected competitor Apple’s iPhone, the difference is truly that of Heaven and Earth.”

A bloke a work keeps saying to me 'what more can you do with a black rectangle' but at the end of the day even small differences result in a completely different style of phone, just look at how the iPhone has progressd from 3G to iPhone 4 and now iPhone 5, they're all essentially black rectangles but very different, same goes for the Lumia.

[Edited on 07-08-2012 by A2H GO]
Dom

7th Aug 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its more blantantly obvious than that, even the UI is the same.

Which is an Android problem surely?

You had the F700 which was released prior to the iPhone and had a similar icon grid based setup. You also had versions of WinCE that used a grid based menu for the launching applications and now BlackBerry have something similar as well.

Apple might have popularised the used of the grid icon format but they certainly weren't the first to use it nor the 'inventors', so it's all a bit clutching at straws on that front.

As mentioned, the only direct similarity between the 3G (/iPhone) and Galaxy S is the bevel; the rest you could argue is a natural progression from the F700 ie: centred menu button, slotted ear piece, rounded casing.

[Edited on 07-08-2012 by Dom]
A2H GO

7th Aug 12 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get me started on android

Agreed the grid design has been around a while but a least Blackberry and more recent versions of android look a lot different from iOS, which shows it can be done unlike the above which is virtually identical down to the dock shading.

I'm also sure I saw a samsung phone on a blokes desk here that looked very similar to the iPhone 4 with flat sides and a metal bezel.

[Edited on 07-08-2012 by A2H GO]
Balling
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 15:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sGEXpG_C4Yk/Tnb8EJHHtsI/AAAAAAAABGk/S2iUgGZBph8/s640/Slide4.JPG

Pretty freakish hand holding the Motorola...

This whole case is making Apple look like idiots.

Good thing people don't judge each other on what the developers of the phone they carry are up to...

Rob_Quads

7th Aug 12 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is Apple have to defend their patents. IF they don't defend them they essentially counting them as null and void which means they would loose a lot of IP

[Edited on 07-08-2012 by Rob_Quads]
John

7th Aug 12 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smartphones looking similar when they all moved to touchscreen isn't exactly a surprise.

Apple are the biggest copiers out there as well.
Nath

7th Aug 12 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread stinks of fanboys.
noshua

7th Aug 12 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
This thread stinks of A2H GO's cum stained pants.
Russ

7th Aug 12 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SamPle woulda been better title
LeeM

7th Aug 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont get how apple use samsung parts in the macbooks, so obviously have good working relationships yet therye suing each other. all publicity
Rob_Quads

7th Aug 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Different divisions the phones to the semiconductors etc. Apple is the biggest customer for Samsung for their memory chips.

I just hope they don't screw with the patent system too much. It gives me a chance to make a bit of extra cash at the moment.
noshua

7th Aug 12 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
I just hope they don't screw with the patent system too much. It gives me a chance to make a bit of extra cash at the moment.

AndyKent

8th Aug 12 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like apple are slightly losing a grip on reality.

They're pushing major partners away in what seems like a hope that their existing strengths will keep their market share, but the most important thing (the UI) is what people are getting bored with and they aren't touching it.
A2H GO

8th Aug 12 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
This thread stinks of A2H GO's cum stained pants.

I'm unbiased believe it or not, I have a SGS3 and an iPhone 4(not even the latest model ).

Noone can deny Samsung\Android have blantantly copied Apple over the years though.

[Edited on 08-08-2012 by A2H GO]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » AppSung 25 database queries in 0.0170782 seconds