corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What car for missus?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What car for missus?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Aug 12 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£3k limit, diesel, reliable, cheap to run/maintain.

Basically a stopgap which will allow her to take on more work in September as she's currently restricted by public transport. It will probably only need to last her a year, as she'll be settled at a single location then with guaranteed hours so she can get something "safe" on finance/lease.

If I can fit my fishing gear in the boot and not get my civic dirty every weekend it would be a bonus

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
adiohead

7th Aug 12 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leon FR+ tdi
Nismo

7th Aug 12 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beetle TDi
Mini D?
Bmw 1 series (not sure if they are that low yet)
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fiesta zetec mk 6
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Leon/VAG TDi's are a good shout. I used to have an Ibiza FR and despite the fact I treate it like shit for 6 years, it never really put a foot wrong

I found a couple of Fabia VRS's on autotrader at our budget but they were all 120k + on the miles.

She's love a mini, but a quick glance suggests the cheapest examples are still about £1k over budget and again 120k miles and above.

What's thoughts on mileage nowadays? I used to work with a lad who was constantly buying and selling his way through used cars and his theory was that a 90k car is a better buy than a 60k car as it's more likely to have had it's cambelt/expensive service done... not sure if that's a common opinion but I guess I could see the logic in it.

Buying a 100k car doesn't scare me too much, especially as we'll only have to do about 12k in it over a year, but I'm not sure if there are any high mileage cars which really need avoiding etc.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201228478428025/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/4000/fuel-type/diesel/make/mini/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/yo83ed/radius/1501/page/1?logcode=p

Affordable

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
*CorsaCal*

7th Aug 12 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa C . . . .
Root

7th Aug 12 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't reccommend any "women" cars, as cars that are designed or mostly owned by women are usually shit and embarassing.

Buy a nice manly BMW E39 5 series so that you won't be embarassed to ride shotgun when you're too wasted to drive.

lulz.
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
I can't reccommend any "women" cars, as cars that are designed or mostly owned by women are usually shit and embarassing.

Buy a nice manly BMW E39 5 series so that you won't be embarassed to ride shotgun when you're too wasted to drive.

lulz.

She says something along the lines of GTFO

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by Root

lulz.

She says something along the lines of GTFO

E39 530D. economical when need to and fast when you boot it
daymoon
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually - E46 320D or a 330D
Wrighty

7th Aug 12 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

something vag with a pd motor in mate. gotta be your best bet.
3CorsaMeal

7th Aug 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skoda fabia
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty

That's my thoughts, keep your eyes open locally for me

The beamers are cool, alot of car for money but I can't help thinking they're potential money pits with these kind of miles?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
corsa_sean

8th Aug 12 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leon cupra tdi easy get one in budget and when you go to punt it on year later should hold its value
sc0ott

8th Aug 12 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clio dci
pow
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 07:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely something like a Clio dCi or Corsa CDTi is the way forward? Fuck this cheap to buy expensive to fix VAG and BMW stuff
daymoon
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty

That's my thoughts, keep your eyes open locally for me

The beamers are cool, alot of car for money but I can't help thinking they're potential money pits with these kind of miles?

well mine is on 119k now ( was on 103 when I got it). All it cost me in a year is - tyres, front pads, oil and ignition switch.
corsaben58

8th Aug 12 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seat leon or vw golf both bullet proof diesel engines can last up to 200k if service is done and belt is changed
Jenko_Sport

8th Aug 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If looking at mk4 golfs or other pd engine cars around the 80-100k mark check that cambelts and also check for any sign at at that the turbo is on its way out, i got stung by turbo failure at about 90k, £700ish for replacement garret unit.
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Aug 12 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport
If looking at mk4 golfs or other pd engine cars around the 80-100k mark check that cambelts and also check for any sign at at that the turbo is on its way out, i got stung by turbo failure at about 90k, £700ish for replacement garret unit.

Saw a golf last night on AT which specifically mentioned a cambelt change and turbo change, so I'll keep an eye out for that for sure - cheers.

Seen a reasonable Polo fairly local, may go kick some tyres at the weekend - but we're still waiting for the funding to come through from a previous transaction so probably can't look at buying for another week or so.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jenko_Sport

8th Aug 12 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also if you dont mind a 5 door mk4 bargains can be had, for the same milliage and spec you can find 5 foors for upto 1k cheaper.

Shame yiour not looking in a few months as ill be selling my mk4 thats had all the ikmportant work and other bits all done lol.
simonATR

9th Aug 12 at 02:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vectra b 2.2 dti sri. That will deffo fit your fishing gear in lol. Plus they're fairly reliable and you can have a holiday with the change.
kennySRi

9th Aug 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa D 1.3cdti. You could easily get a 1.2 petrol for £3k but im sure if you look hard enough a diesel will come up for around that.
craig8
Premium Member

9th Aug 12 at 14:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Micra, my mrs loves hers and it cost fuck all to run, tax and insure

E36 328

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What car for missus? 23 database queries in 0.0136390 seconds