corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » track tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author track tyres
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Aug 12 at 07:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to be getting some soon, maybe in time for combe, question being for anyone that's used them on the road too, how do they wear as il be driving it to any venue so will be a stupid waste of.money if they are going to be shot after a couple of long journeys
Alex_Rally

13th Aug 12 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your worried just take them in the boot of the car and change the wheels when u get there ??? would a mate not be going down with u in there car ? they could take 2 if you cant fit them all in ?

i would be doing that anyway incase u get a blowout or run them to death and are totally bald for the trip home.

[Edited on 13-08-2012 by Alex_Rally]
FAZ
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just change the front two on an ff car surely?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 08:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had some Yoko AD08 since may. Done a trip to Germany, 2 Track days and my daily driver of 50miles each day and i need to now change them. Backs on the other hand will last another 6months!

[Edited on 13-08-2012 by VrsTurbo]
Steve
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good vrs
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They arnt the great in the wet though. Im sourcing a second set of wheels for some wet tyres as its a 50-50 chance of a uk track day being wet
Adam_B

13th Aug 12 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to get a couple of trackdays and 3-4k road miles miles out of a pair of R888s on the back of a VX220.
Nismo

13th Aug 12 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The pumas stripped out right? plenty of room to fit 4 wheels and tyres in, take them and swap them on the day, my mates with AD08's do that as they cost to much to wear on the road.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yokos lasted fine on the astra when driving to germany, I was also concered about tyre wear on the roads.

Lee303 reccomended I just run different pressures in the tyres then go back to track spec pressures when I get there.

iirc its not the tyre wear on the road you should worry about, its when you are driving in dry conditions then suddenly you get hit by a fucking storm. Me, Lee and Brian all had semi slicks on on the way to germany and for the last 45 minutes had to go up/down hills in the pissing rain with fuck all grip
Steve
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probs get a set of those ad08's bit of a better price then the r888's

other wheels wont fit in the puma with all the cage and strut brace etc in
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

They are good tyres! Once you have some heat in them they just stick.
smcGSI16V

13th Aug 12 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Of course they will, unless your too worried about scratching the paint. There is always a way to fit them in.
I always used to carry a complete set of wheels with me, what ones I drive on I carried the others which was a full set of 888's and a set o F1's.
Used to also carry tools, tool box, jack etc. there is always a way. And at least that way you can cater for all weather conditions and wear rates etc.

You're pooma probably weights as much as my corsa did, I got 8 track days and about 6 action days at Combe out of my set of 888's but they were almost slick after all that.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd get a set in the puma no problem!
Steve
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
quote:

Of course they will, unless your too worried about scratching the paint. There is always a way to fit them in.
I always used to carry a complete set of wheels with me, what ones I drive on I carried the others which was a full set of 888's and a set o F1's.
Used to also carry tools, tool box, jack etc. there is always a way. And at least that way you can cater for all weather conditions and wear rates etc.

You're pooma probably weights as much as my corsa did, I got 8 track days and about 6 action days at Combe out of my set of 888's but they were almost slick after all that.

i am worried about that

the wear seems acceptable anyway, so thats my main concern answered
AK

13th Aug 12 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AD08 - compromised track tyre... OK on track, OK on the road

048/032/888 etc more focussed on track but not the be all and end all of track tyres, but prob best value. Federals too.

Wear shouldnt be a factor steve - you will not wear them out by simply driving on the road a few times a year. I wouldnt even bother about it.

I'm using 888s that are now 3 years old.... they only get used on track but they must have done about 20 events. No problem with wear... our problems come with heat. I.e they are now at the point where we'd sell them on because they go off so quickly when pushing hard (2laps!)

You arent running crazy camber so shouldnt have issues with inside edges wearing. You MAY get excessive outside edge wear and heat (look for blue marks!) with so little camber and soft susensoin though - so look out for it.

pressures - run them normal on road (preferece driven, but prob around 28-30psi I think) and then soften them off to a cold temp pressure of around 22psi for track. Again this will be driven by your own feeling but I'd make those suggestions as a good starting point. Pop more pressure in the rears if you want it more direct and lively into the corners (and can deal with liftoff oversteer)

I still find 888/048 MUCH better than normal road tyres in the wet. Only once have I been a bit concerned about there grip but I just slowed down to an safer speed and dealt witht he issue. Use your head and you'll have no issue.

If you are simply looking for a cheap trackday tyre AVOID remoulded RB5 maxsport things.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool mate, all sounds good
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you not get another bar welded in? so in they have a place to sit kinda like below

I[][][][]I

AK

13th Aug 12 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is just retarded

welding a bar to the rear of your car to act as a tyre rack

just use a dustsheet and a strap to hold the together and to something.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

il just drive on the fucking things
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
that is just retarded

welding a bar to the rear of your car to act as a tyre rack

just use a dustsheet and a strap to hold the together and to something.

Well he is scared of scraping the paint inside and he likes to do weird and wacky things to the puma
Steve
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going mental here
smcGSI16V

13th Aug 12 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve, you should have a look at what Tony done In the back of his golf to transport the spare wheels.
Iirc he had an extra bar welded in on the cage between the back and thickness o wheel inwards then used straps to secure sideways motion, so at least the bar worked with the cage.

I always used a few cotton dust sheets and some rope lashed around everything and the dust sheets. And in handy for covering everything over once there and used them for kneeling on when working on the car.
Gaz

13th Aug 12 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why compromise on tyres for a track day to use them on the road?
Just buy full track tyres and a spare set of wank wheels to throw your current tyres on to drive there any back.

My worry would be having an off, fucking a tyre/wheel up and not being able to get home because of poor planning.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you going mental about this?
possy

13th Aug 12 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I swear by yoko a048s they are my favourites at the moment

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » track tyres 22 database queries in 0.0146210 seconds