corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Builders, Outbuilding Help Needed

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Builders, Outbuilding Help Needed
Nismo

User status: Offline
4th Sep 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right long shot but someone might know.

I want to build a brick shed / outbuilding, our plot is a strange shape so i want to make the most of the space we have.

Rough layout of how it goes.

I want to build a shed in the shape of the red, and the questions I have are:

1) Is that shape possible? can you have a tiled roof (lean too) with a diagonal front?

2) am I able to anchor it to the main wall of the house? would the shed need its own back wall or could i use the house wall?

3) footings, im guessing it wouldn't need much more than a foot deep?

4) planning am i going to have issues? it wont be no higher than 2.5m

House from front, there is currently an old wooden shed there but its to small and doesnt use the space.

any help greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 04-09-2012 by Nismo]
AndyKent

4th Sep 12 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. For an awkward shape a flat roof would be easier to avoid the awkward geometry of a sloping roof.

2. Depends how complicated a job you want. Tied to the house with helifix would make MUCH better use of the space. Doing it yourself might be simpler to build 4 walls.....

3. Shallow will be fine

4. Can't remember off the top of my head, but unlikely

Nismo

4th Sep 12 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers!

1) what type of flat roof would you recommend?

2) what Helifix product would you recommend? I would prefer to use 3 walls as I would retain a little more space.
Dave

4th Sep 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are various types, most common is just a track that is screwed to the existing wall then clips fit in that are bedded into the new wall.

Roof would be very difficult in tiles.
AndyKent

4th Sep 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Timber built up flat roof with bitumen over will be fine. Might want to use a pro to make sure it's neat and you get a decent guarantee!

Not sure, check the website and find whichever is relevant to the position they'll be used. Avoid the timber frame stuff if you build in block work obviously.
Nismo

4th Sep 12 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys, guess you mean like this?

Would it be ok in single skin or would i still have to have a cavity? Im guessing single like a garage?

AndyKent

4th Sep 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, that'll do you. Single skin is fine. Quicker/easier in blockwork and rendered/boarded over.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep it under 2.5m as its within 1m of boundary.

Check with local planning, it should fall under permitted development, but maybe slightly different to out buildings as your building off your existing house.

Make it from wood and won't have any issues with planning, thought of just making it a lean to from house to fence?

Timber walls, door on front and lean a roof from house to fence.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Nismo

5th Sep 12 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the space, would I be able to build it in the same bricks the house is built with so it ties all in?

Dan, I did think about making it out of wood but id rather it out of stone as it would be so much better.

As it will go over the height of the fence it will be visible, this is where someone might notice and then check planning?

Nismo

5th Sep 12 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

The things that stand out here, or im not sure of are:

No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation?

Other than that the only thing that might apply is

Building a new garage attached to an existing home would normally need building regulations approval.

I know its not a garage but its attached?
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its going to be out of block and you want it a decent size it will need planning. would be a hell of a lot easier to build it out of wood, set it off the house slightly then you havent got to arse around laying proper foundations. tieing into the house, you would need to chase out where you want the lead flashing or you would get water down the side etc etc
you could have a huge timber shed to cover that space in no time
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also if you didn't have planning and went ahead you could run into problems further down the line with neighbours or selling the house
Rob_Quads

5th Sep 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Building it out of that stone is probably going to be very expensive compared with normal brick
Nismo

5th Sep 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spoke to my local planning office, they have said:

To attach it to the house i need planning, costs £150 and takes 6-8 weeks, she had an initial look at plans and said thats fine cant see any issues.

Dont attach it to the house and i can have a 1" gap and as long as I dont go over 2.5m I dont need planning

To me that seems like the best option, I would like something in writing to say that though
Rob_Quads

5th Sep 12 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its interesting to see she says it needs planning. I'm not sure on what grounds.

its not an out build as its attached to the house but if its attached its then classed as an extension but as long as its single story, less than 3m due to being near the boundary, not the width of half the house so fulfills the permitted development.

Ask them exactly what it is about it that means its NOT permitted development.
AndyKent

5th Sep 12 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would piss me off having a gap. You haven't got much space as it is. By the time you take off 1" gap and 4" blocks you've lost a decent amount of space.
Nismo

5th Sep 12 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i see what you mean, I might arrange an appointment and ask a bit more, like you say the 5/6" loss could be worth it for the sake of £150 I guess.
AndyKent

5th Sep 12 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not only that but you'll have to buy more materials to do the last bit of wall thinking about it
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Spoke to my local planning office, they have said:

To attach it to the house i need planning, costs £150 and takes 6-8 weeks, she had an initial look at plans and said thats fine cant see any issues.

Dont attach it to the house and i can have a 1" gap and as long as I dont go over 2.5m I dont need planning

To me that seems like the best option, I would like something in writing to say that though

Ask for a permitted development form, fill in and will have a letter sent stating you can do so.

1" gap you'll never notice, get it built!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Cole

6th Sep 12 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might not need planning at all if they relax the rules today
Nismo

6th Sep 12 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know

Although Ive had a bigger plan now, will report back with my new plan this evening
Rob_Quads

6th Sep 12 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

found a few bits of info - due to the building being on the side of the road it 'might' be perceived that the side of your house is also counted as front facing and thus it would not be permitted.

Sounds like the changes are more around the size of a development that's permitted than other reasons i.e. 8 meters allowed instead of 4m depth (although apparently still keeping the 50% garden rule though)
Nismo

6th Sep 12 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats what the planning office said, as its kinda classed as a corner plot, the principal elevation and build line passes past 2 facades of the house.
Gary
Premium Member

7th Sep 12 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Planning is changing in the next week or 2 iirc meaning extensions up to a cirtian size are free from planning
sc0ott

7th Sep 12 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The area of land on the other side of the fence, is that yours or the councils?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll