corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Can I fit EPS to my Corsa 1.0 LS 12V?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can I fit EPS to my Corsa 1.0 LS 12V?
Johnjourno

User status: Offline
10th Sep 12 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey all,
I have agreed to buy a Corsa 12V, for a real good price, but it doesn't have EPS or any form of PAS supposedly, it's a W reg 1.0 12V LS, I haven't collected the car to see if there is a EPS motor there and it just doesn't work, but if there isn't and I want to fit EPS, how much work is it?

I have been informed on another forum I need the column, ECU for it, heater box, heater pipe for the drivers side, the steering cowls, and new info possibly says steering rack

Can someone on here please clarify what I definitely need
reecegsi

11th Sep 12 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need rack ecu wiring heater box and pipes as there different steering plastics as there different cause of the square box thing under column I think also the rack is shorter then most lock to lock as well
Johnjourno

12th Sep 12 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To add more info in this, my rack is 2.7 turn lock, which I am lead to believe is the preffered type for EPS
jay26

13th Sep 12 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clutch pedal is diffrent too
Johnjourno

13th Sep 12 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is starting to sound like a bit of a chew on, I'm going to go to a breakers at the weekend, if anyone has a definite list of required parts, that would be great
reecegsi

13th Sep 12 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All what I said plus clutch pedal?
Johnjourno

13th Sep 12 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry fella, been across a few forums looking, the supposed list of parts are

Steering column with motor
EPS ECU
Steering column cowls
Steering column bracket to bulkhead
Heater box
Drivers side heater pipe
Clutch pedal
Possibly the steering rack, god knows why

At this rate I might as well just not bother and buy a car with EPS, but I love a challenge and would love to turn this car round to something a bit special just to show the previous owner what he could of done with it (he was going to scrap it)
GB123
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it really need power steering?
Johnjourno

13th Sep 12 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I want anything bigger than 165/70R13's then I'd say yes
GB123
Premium Member

14th Sep 12 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got 195/50/r15's without power steering and it's fine for me. Best of luck though, just seems like a lot of work when you might not need it.
gav93

14th Sep 12 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

195/45/15 on mine no power steering lowered a lot ..its fine! man up !!!
Johnjourno

14th Sep 12 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love people saying 'man up', I'll swap spines with you guys for a week if I could, bad times, I used to drive an old Rover lowered 60mm on 15" with no power steering and a small D steering wheel, no issues at all, but since my motorbike accident my back is always bother
john_redtop

14th Sep 12 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright mate am I right in thinking I was talking to you the other day on my front I have the Arden blue corsa? How you getting on with this if you need a hand let me know I'm more than happy to help.
Johnjourno

15th Sep 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now fella, yes it's me, I'm going over to C&L for a butchers now, and to see what I can get, and have a proper look at parts on an EPS system
john_redtop

15th Sep 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought it was you lol how did you got on?
Johnjourno

16th Sep 12 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was there yesterday and got a parcel shelf and side panels as with 'poverty spec' I don't have rear speakers, when I removed my side panels, I found I have no wires for rear speakers, which makes me think I have no wiring running to my door connectors for central locking, electric windows or electric mirrors, so I have been back down today, and removed a full wiring loom which was a pain in the arse as it starts at the OSR lamp, runs across the rear to the NSR lamp, some run off to the tailgate for the central locking/wiper, it runs down the passenger side to the front where there is a multi plug, it runs up the side of the dash and up to the interior light, it also runs to the door connector, it then backtracks, runs under both seats, plugs onto the handbrake switch, across to the sill and runs forward for the drivers door connection

I got the full loom with both door looms, both door latches and the tweeters, boot and fuel cap actuators, both door lower panels in black with the electric window switches, mirror switch

The only thing I didn't get was the door mirrors as they are white and I haven't decided if I should buy them and paint them myself, or pay someone to do them for me, and the passenger door electric window regulator (I already have the drivers side)

£30 for the lot

It has EPS, but I have some queries, where the EPS motor is situated in my car is where my fuse box relays are (I'm quite sure), and I don't know if I need a different dash loom and fuse box to run it, but I am going over tuesday hopefully and removing the comumn with all the wiring I might need, and the rack, turns out my rack is 4 turns, and not 2.7 turns, but I am getting a good price on that

When I removed the steering column cowls it does say a few things on the inside including EPS, so I will need that, also, I took the heater pipe for the drivers side vent as now I can see the reason I need it

I still need someone to confirm if I need the actual heater box and the clutch pedal
john_redtop

17th Sep 12 at 07:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure about heater box but you won't need a pedal my clutch cable snapped on mine and I still had my old corsa non power steering so I took the cable off that to discover the end was different so o also took the pedal off the non power steering one and fitted it to one with power steering and have no problems
Johnjourno

17th Sep 12 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet, nice one, I still need to know about fuse box and relays, and the heater box itself
Jonlem

17th Sep 12 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clutch pedal assembly is different where it bolts to the cage that the column fastens too.

Heater box is also different as pipe work for the drivers outer blower is in the wrong place on the non epas one.

I done the conversion little over a month ago and was suprised myself at how much Vauxhall changed
Johnjourno

17th Sep 12 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounding like the man in the know, I already have the pipe that goes over the column to the vent, but I need the heater box itself too? To add, what was your base car and donor car? I am in a Corsa B X10 W reg, and the donor is a Corsa B x10 V reg but is a GLS, is the fusebox different? I am quite sure it looks different, but any help would be great!!
Johnjourno

17th Sep 12 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, is the fusebox different from non EPS to EPS
Jonlem

17th Sep 12 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't believe it is physically different but it just has a spare slot where the 50amp fuse goes for the epas motor.

The car I converted had a new car loom fitted which was convienantly off a epas car so all the wiring and plugs are there.
Jonlem

17th Sep 12 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car I converted was a R reg, the major differences I found were that the epas cradle had 2 tags that secured itself to the clutch pedal assembly, these would not locate on the clutch pedal assembly that the car had so I changed that to a epas one, the pipe out of the heater box wasnt inline with the hole in the cradle which I then worked out was another difference in the EPAS and none EPAS models.

Quite a suprise how much stuff needs changing but it's a worthwhile conversion personally.
Johnjourno

17th Sep 12 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the drivers side heater pipe fit the heater box already in my car? Does the clutch pedal use the same cable as mine too? Where the EPS motor sits, I am sure my relay box is there, how did you manage about that? Or does it not get in the way? Thanks for your help with this
Jonlem

17th Sep 12 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the r reg one I did the drivers side heater pipe is different to what's used on a epas car ( I have a genuine car here as well ) the epas heater hose also wouldn't fit the heater box and after checking my car the heater boxes were also different.

I can't be 100% on the fuse boxes but I think they are the same, from memory I think I did change the clutch cable as well.

Adam Dewis ( Dewis Motorsport ) also did the conversion at a similar time and found the same issues.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll