corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » TT - [Update: Insurance collected]

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author TT - [Update: Insurance collected]
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Sep 12 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone shunted into the back of my missus' TT yesterdayat a roundabout. Aside from the visible paint/bumper damage, is there likely to be damage behind? Looks like he did hit both exhausts too. Hitt her at<5mph

[Edited on 20-09-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Phillips_91

13th Sep 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exhausts usually get bent out of shape slightly in rear shunts, listen out for any knocking/vibration, replaced quite a few where its creased every bend all the way up to the manifold from a low speed impact
SteveoBC
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cross member, heatshield, exhausts

But you won't know for certain until it gets the rear bumper taken off
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's what I thought - first bodyshop said its just paint but it was in there 5minutes, didn't take the bumper off, not even the valance, didn't look underneath etc etc. Fairly reputable but just said £250-£300. I don't see how you can estimate without checking out all the facts
AndyCorsaSport

13th Sep 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said exhausts can take impact all the way down. Rear bumper beam is a lot higher than that, take it to a body shop and get it up on a ramp to see if any damage can be seen.
thegsi

13th Sep 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck all wrong with that, just a minor bumper repair.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probs best to get the other party to go through insurance then if there's any nasty surprises down the line it's covered

Take the cash off him and find anything else you will be out of pocket
AndyCorsaSport

13th Sep 12 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I don't see how you can estimate without checking out all the facts

Cause it's exactly that, an "estimate"

They should have said £250-£300 untill we take the bumper off.
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsi

even with hitting the exhausts?

Guy has said he doesn't mind either paying if its cheap enough or going through insurance if there's more damage but I don't see how the first bodyshop can quote without looking behind/under the bumper

[Edited on 13-09-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Phil W

13th Sep 12 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go through his insurance.
thegsi

13th Sep 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by thegsi

even with hitting the exhausts?

Guy has said he doesn't mind either paying if its cheap enough or going through insurance if there's more damage but I don't see how the first bodyshop can quote without looking behind/under the bumper

If it's been hit at sub 5mph and with the tailpipe being so low, I can't see it causing that much damage. Audi exhaust will obviously been very strong and the flexy/rubbers will take the brunt of the energy.
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only reason I'm mindful about her going through insurance is that when my A3 was crashed into whilst I was in bed, so zero fault, my insurance went up for the following three years when declaring the claim; using comparison websites it was up by over £100p.a. That's the only reason that I think she'd be better keeping it away from insurance; however, if there's any likely hood of further damage then it's not worth the risk. I've never had the abck bumper off so don't know what's behind it
SetH

13th Sep 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee when your A3 was crashed into whilst you were sleeping did the other driver drive off? Thus you had no one to claim agaisnt?

This guy who drove into the back of your missus is 100% at fault. The insurers will state that he failed to exercise appropriate skill and diligence. Thus this is no fault of your missus and this should not affect her renewal as it is a non fault claim.

anyone who drives into the back of someone is a complete Mong, there is no excuse for it 99% of the time other then being a Mong.

Go through your insurance or you may come to regret it. Of course he is going to try and settle the damage himself he will save £££ overall. Why the hell should you do him a favour and potentially shoot yourself in the foot?
Ben G

13th Sep 12 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will affect her insurance. they class you as being a higher risk of having another accident in the future, for some strange and unknown reason.

RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SetH, no, the guy accepted liability but declaring the claim, even with zero liability has affected me for 3 years to the tune of about £300

Edit: as Ben says

SetH

13th Sep 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
it will affect her insurance. they class you as being a higher risk of having another accident in the future, for some strange and unknown reason.

Ok, I am not disputing that but would be good to understand what the strange and unknown reason is. Lee I guess you should check with your insurer.

I have had a few people go into the back of me over the last few years. All logged as non fault accidents and my premium was £80 lower this year. I have been with the same insurer for the last 3 years in which 2 of the accidents were whilst I was with them.

Thus in my case it has not gone up.
Wrighty_1988

13th Sep 12 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
SetH, no, the guy accepted liability but declaring the claim, even with zero liability has affected me for 3 years to the tune of about £300

Edit: as Ben says

Something similar happened to me, car got stolen, phoned up the insurance company to tell them and to hold my policy whilst i bought a banger (didnt claim or anything). 3 weeks later the car was found on diff plates and returned to me. Went back to driving that car, but because i had told my insurance a car had been stolen from me i had to declare it on my insurance for 3 years even though i didnt claim or anything.

Ill keep my mouth shut next time.

[Edited on 13-09-2012 by Wrighty_1988]
BarnshaW

13th Sep 12 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you might find though seth if you didnt have them claims on it that it may have gone down £200 or something.
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Ok, I am not disputing that but would be good to understand what the strange and unknown reason is. Lee I guess you should check with your insurer.

I have had a few people go into the back of me over the last few years. All logged as non fault accidents and my premium was £80 lower this year. I have been with the same insurer for the last 3 years in which 2 of the accidents were whilst I was with them.

Thus in my case it has not gone up.

mine didn't go up as such; but when comparing the costs using comparison websites, they were all £100(ish) above the quotes without declaring an accident. This year, 3 years later and no longer having to declare, I saw a more significant drop over the previous years'
SetH

13th Sep 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
you might find though seth if you didnt have them claims on it that it may have gone down £200 or something.

Possibly, I guess I could try a quote on comparison site and not list the claims and see what it comes out of.

Insurance is fucking disgusting, you get penalised for other peoples incompetence.

Next idiot to crash into me gets full on ROIDZ attack.
adiohead

13th Sep 12 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Next idiot to crash into me gets full on ROIDZ attack.

I'm imagining some old cauliflower headed old woman being screamed at now
N7 THD

13th Sep 12 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

out of interest whats the reg? a mate's missus has a TT and her reg is K4SSY C - your looks similar...
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KE03 ###
Colin

13th Sep 12 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got hit on the motorway in my Golf GT-tdi at about 5mph & it was just paint.

Still cost about 300 quid for a good job though!!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Sep 12 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get under it yourself and have a look.

If it looks straight and doesn't blow its OK.

Is there actually damage to the tailpipe where it has contacted? If not it may have missed it.

And avoid going through the insurance even if that means skimping on the repair, you'll be bummed for years otherwise, no questions.

[Edited on 13-09-2012 by Ian]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » TT - [Update: Insurance collected] 22 database queries in 0.0297549 seconds