corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New Car & Advice from a Detailer(?)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Car & Advice from a Detailer(?)
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Nov 12 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About half of CS has been involved with the decision to sell up my Civic and buy one of these, so I thought it only fair to post up the storyline and a few pics!

This all started a few weeks ago with the following thread:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=644254

And this quote...

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I still have such a softspot for these, really, really like them.

So no prizes for guessing what I now own! 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi.

After asking a few CS members, and the guys on Scoobynet I decided I wanted the widebody version with the adjustable Diff - so I pretty much nailed my search down to 2005 cars only.

I got a PM from a chap on Scoobynet who had seen my post/questions, and thought I might be interested in his car. He didn't have it listed for sale anywhere, but had just got a job promotion with a company car - so the Scooby was somewhat redundant.

After chatting with him a lot, and seeing lots of pictures - it seemed the car for me. 37k miles, he's a wannabee detailer like I am and almost standard (prodrive performance pack which includes exhaust and a 300bhp remap, but it's also been remapped again and estimated at 320bhp). Oh - and I loved the colour.

He was asking £8k... so the way I saw it, it was a grand cheaper than the local "standard" and so I could afford to fix any minor niggles which may come up later down the line.

The day I got the cash (Friday this week) from selling my Civic, I drove ~90miles over to St Helens to meet this guy and see his car. The car looked/drove as good as he said it would, so we did the deal and that was that!

The drive home was lots of fun, but no drama. Few interior rattles/squeeks which I need to track down, but nothing which concerned me.

I fitted a new headunit as soon as I got home, wired up the microphone for handsfree and also plumbed my ipod into the glovebox. Nice and tidy Headunit is an Alpine W530BT - as recommended by CS!

I was out all day saturday so didn't get chance to get daylight pictures etc, but today the rain was due to hold off - so it was time to clean and photograph!

During cleaning, I had my first panic - and this is where I need some advice.

The paintwork in certain areas feels "rough". It's an overcast day and I haven't seen the car yet in bright sun - you can't see anything but when rubbing your hand across some of the panels, you can definately feel it... it's as if the paint isn't glossy in some areas. My initial thought was "OMG RESPRAY CUT N' SHUT" etc, but after I calmed down and had a real good look from lots of angles - I guess it could simply be somebody inexperienced on a machine polisher at somepoint(?).

If it has been painted, the colour match is good - but the finish isn't, so would a proffessional paintwork correction be worth a go? After I polished and waxed the panels do shine alright, but not quite as well as the rest of the car - and it's still "rough" to touch. I polished the car with Meguires Ultimate stuff, but tried AG SRP on the rough spots too. Car was waxed with Meguires Ultimate Paste Wax.

So if anybody could advise on that, I would much appreciated - and if anybody knows a skilled detailer/paintwork restorer local to North Yorkshire who would be happy to meet up and take a look/feel for me, I'd appreciated that too. If somebody can say without doubt the car has had paintwork, I'll contact the previous owner. He claimed to be an anal wannabee detailer so he must have known about these spots, so he maybe lying about the history of the car.

The car drives fantastically, so much quicker than my Civic and the power feels so much more usable too. I'm still getting the feel for it, but this car is going to be a lot of fun!

I filled the car with fuel about 5mins after I bought it, then again 113 miles later. The difference came in at 22.87litres which I work out to be 22mpg! Not bad says Obama

This is one of the "dodgy" panels. If I rub my finger along the door (back to front) It becomes "rough" just under the wingmirror then is glass smooth again on the front wing. Only above the "crease" which is level with the doorhandle, bottom of the door is fine.

Worst Picture ever, but I was crouching in a bush

Job List:

The previous owner had told me the wheels had been resprayed earlier in the year, as they were showing their age. I assumed powdercoating, but upon inspection they've clearly been sprayed as the back of the wheels isn't done. I'll probably get these done properly after winter, either same colour or maybe a dark silver/gray colour? Not sure yet.

The previous owner also had the front headlights de-tangoed, which looks good - but upon inspection the seals are a bit knackered, so I may look out for some replacement light clusters.

Previous owner also went on a bit of a badge changing spree, changed the various pink badges for black ones - but also took the STI stickers off of the foglight covers, which I think makes the car look a little bland from the front - so I'll get some decals and sort that out.

Speaking of foglight covers, one of them has a massive stonechip and is the only noticable scuff/scratch on the car - so I may get that resprayed before the decals!

Needs new floor mats, car came with a full set minus the drivers one as it had worn out - so a new set probably needed!

Detail, and get the paintwork looked at by a pro - I just want to know what's happened and if possible, why!

Rolling Road/Remap(?). I'd like to know what the car is running as it only had a "live" on the road remap, and I'd just like somebody to give the car a general healthcheck from a performance point of view. If needed, I'll have somebody do their own remap on it and will invite some expertise to recommend a modding route for under the bonnet... I don't want massive power, but I'm sure the bug will bite at somepoint.

The car also looks to be lower than other "standard" STI's which I've seen, so I should probably get on my hands and knees and see what suspension is fitted. If it has indeed been lowered, and with springs on standard shocks - I may invest in some coilovers at somepoint for piece of mind.

So, thoughts? My Sister has already called me a Chav - so it can't get much worse than that

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

4th Nov 12 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably one of these pdr guys that have sprayed a small patch.

Had a guy do the same on my fiesta and the area he sprayed never felt as smooth as the rest of the pai.twork.
Bonney

4th Nov 12 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That car looks familiar. When you put on a keen wannabe detailer and st helens i expected to see a mates old one, Seems familiar this one, what part of St Helens was it from?
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben, that's my thinking but there are a few sections of the car like it.. Perhaps it's been keyed as I can't imagine a single accident causing all these areas to require paint.

Bonney, was about 5mins from St Helen Junction station. I believe the owner before was from Wigan.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian W

4th Nov 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rough paint could be any number of things, first thing I would try would be a clay bar.

Mine was rough as hell all over but once clayed it was smooth as you like

Looks nice, not a massive scooby fan but good to see one not in blue
Gareth T

4th Nov 12 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks stunning, I've always loved impreza's.
Bonney

4th Nov 12 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive seen it around a bit, sounded quite nice when i seen it too!
Rich H

4th Nov 12 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
Rough paint could be any number of things, first thing I would try would be a clay bar.

This
Ben G

4th Nov 12 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that wouldn't revive the area back to the glossy look of the rest of the paint though, would it? hence why i suggested it was maybe a smart repair.
Rich H

4th Nov 12 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it wouldn't, but it *may* help restore the smooth finish to the touch at least (and if he hasn't clayed it, then the polishing & waxing as an initial deep clean was a bit of a waste of time anyway unfortunately)

TBH it's difficult to say from the photos and description, but yes it's almost definitely had bad paintwork one way or another
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, I should have mentioned I did rub over the car with my claybar using Meg QD as lube.

The rough areas did get slightly smoother, but I didn't want to attack it too hard with the clay... maybe I should revisit those patches with more aggression on the clay.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rich H

4th Nov 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah cool, tbh I was a little surprised if you hadn't just from our brief chats in the past!

You can try, but tread carefully because if it is a smart repair aggressive clay or a spirit based tar & glue remover can strip the paint
BeetleGav

4th Nov 12 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good, I'd get them plates changed, what's the need for the dodgy spaces, I don't get it.
AndyCorsaSport

4th Nov 12 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the doors rough under the wing mirror, sounds like its been painted with the wing mirror still on, it can be hard some times painting with it still on.
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Looks good, I'd get them plates changed, what's the need for the dodgy spaces, I don't get it.

Yeah good point, I had that on my "to do" list. Bit odd aye, he gave me the original ones in the boot, they're looking a little worn out though so I'll get some new un's made up.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

4th Nov 12 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks lovely!
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
That looks lovely!

Thanks Jambo!

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
If the doors rough under the wing mirror, sounds like its been painted with the wing mirror still on, it can be hard some times painting with it still on.

I know what you mean, but as there are other spots on the car - I'm tempted to say it's just a flat lack of talent from whoever painted it.

Saying that, the colour match is perfect... so I'm still not 101% convinced it's been sprayed.

I'm terrified of seeing the car in bright sunlight anyway, but if it looks as good as it does when overcast - it's probably something I'll just learn to live with.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
big eck

4th Nov 12 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a cracking looking car mate.
BarnshaW

4th Nov 12 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks stunning mate, proper perfectionist arent you

I quite like the STI stickers taken off the fog covers, need to get your pink badges on the back though, also that prodrive exhaust is really quiet maybe something a little bit nicer

Looks like you got a minter though! exhaust, filter, remap next
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
looks stunning mate, proper perfectionist arent you

I quite like the STI stickers taken off the fog covers, need to get your pink badges on the back though, also that prodrive exhaust is really quiet maybe something a little bit nicer

Looks like you got a minter though! exhaust, filter, remap next

Yes

The foglight stickers will be the subject of much thought, but pointless moving on them until I get the chipped one painted anyway. I think the front just looks a little bland without them.

The exhaust burbles like a bastard when crusing at low speed or idling in traffic, but when I'm on the motorway sat at 70 it's actually really quiet compared to the other road noise/wind/etc.... I quite like that.

I test drove a similar car a few weeks ago, and it was much louder though - and I think it also had an aftermarket dumpvalve, this one doesn't do the tsscchh bit when I change gear

I want it up on ramps somewhere so somebody with a clue can have a good look around, and recommend me some next steps. If the prodrive exhaust is limiting me in any way, it'll be right off

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

4th Nov 12 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

prodrive system has a sports cat, a full decat system, filter and remap will see 340-350
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But then don't I need to suck off an MOT guy once a year?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

4th Nov 12 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome
CORSA NUT

4th Nov 12 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should hope it's quicker than the Civic worlds apart IMO

Looks nice but I'm not a fan of silver scoobys of any shape if your happy though then i'm welcome to the world of bad MPG and constant worry about it breaking.

A remap is a good idea on any scooby modded or otherwise IMO as they are very prone to running slightly 'off' even in standard spec when you think there running fine. Unless you've driven loads you wouldn't really get what i mean.
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Each to their own on colour, I like them all to be honest.

I think black ones are excellent, but to find one seven years old without being absolutely pebbledashed to fuck seemed impossible

Blue ones are nice, of course - but seemed like the "safe choice", and again they seem to show up stonechips loads

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New Car & Advice from a Detailer(?) 23 database queries in 0.0190461 seconds