corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Subwoofer nightmare

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subwoofer nightmare
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Nov 12 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something is wrong.

I can't figure out if this is an issue with my AVR or my sub. As I don't have a spare of either, I can't isolate the fault.

My sub can no longer play very low frequencies. I noticed it at first when we were watching Return of the King a week or so ago.
When there are deep rumbling bass sounds, what my sub actually plays is a raspy, thundery, cracking sound that is harsh and sounds very broken.

This has come out of no where and I haven't a clue what causes it.

Adjusting the crossover has no effect as I can't isolate the lowest frequencies and these seem to be the issue.
Lowering the volume of the sub seems to help a bit, but to completely remove the issue I have to adjust the volume to its lowest setting.

Any ideas?

[Edited on 19-03-2013 by Balling]

[Edited on 10-02-2014 by Balling]

Munchie

12th Nov 12 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, do you have any places like the UK equivalent of Richer Sounds in Denmark?

Somewhere where you can check the sub whoofer cable and also the sub?
Balling
Premium Member

12th Nov 12 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I guess I could take cable and sub to a dealer or a friends to check it out.

Sam
Premium Member

12th Nov 12 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sounds (excuse the pun!) like the woofer is "clipping" - in other words, distortion due to too much power going to the woofer for too long.

I would start with the woofer first rather than your AVR.
whitter45

12th Nov 12 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have a spare sub woofer lead to try out

Sounds liek the sub to me

what is model your running
Balling
Premium Member

12th Nov 12 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
It sounds (excuse the pun!) like the woofer is "clipping" - in other words, distortion due to too much power going to the woofer for too long.
Too much power? Crossover in AVR and/or sub not set up properly?
It's an active sub, so all that's sent from the AVR is signal, can't see how it would receive "too much power"...?

Sub is a Tangent Evo and AVR is a Denon 2312 so both should be capable enough imo. Been running this setup for almost a year and before that I ran the Tangent sub with a 2310 for a year and a half.

Think I have a the lead the came with the sub some where, so will give that a try.

Might also give Tangent a call to see what they think...

John

12th Nov 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't think of many ways to test that without swapping bits about.

99% it's not the cable. I'd also guess more likely the sub itself.
Balling
Premium Member

12th Nov 12 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just talked to a technician at Tangent. He had no suggestion as to what was the cause, but said I had to go through the dealer if I wanted to claim through the warranty, which I think is a bit strange.

Will try and find a way of testing the sub with a different receiver before doing anything else.

Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Good guess!

Only got around to sending the sub in recently and after a three week repair they found a faulty crossover filter meaning the sub was trying to play midtones as well. At times when it tried to play both very low frequencies and midtones it got overloaded and startet cracking.

At first I thought that would be impossible as the midtones should still have been filtered out in the AVR, but low and behold, I'd set that to 120 Hz for some bizarre reason...

So faulty component + faulty setting = shitty sound.

Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it split
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is what split?

Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the sub around the edge of the cone
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. I actually posted the result of the repair just above your question...

Sam
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Good guess!

Only got around to sending the sub in recently and after a three week repair they found a faulty crossover filter meaning the sub was trying to play midtones as well. At times when it tried to play both very low frequencies and midtones it got overloaded and startet cracking.

At first I thought that would be impossible as the midtones should still have been filtered out in the AVR, but low and behold, I'd set that to 120 Hz for some bizarre reason...

So faulty component + faulty setting = shitty sound.

Glad you got to the bottom of it!
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny that, I was watching Return of the King when I found my cat had mauled one of my front speakers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a good film for thoroughly testing a sound system.

Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I remember right it was some massive trolls stomping around or something. Sounded horrific when my cone decided it wanted to make a break for freedom!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was when those elefant things entered the battlefield. Sounded completely bizarre every time they took a step.

Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Mine was when those elefant things entered the battlefield. Sounded completely bizarre every time they took a step.

That's what I meant by Troll Couldn't remember what they were, but massive things with little huts and soldiers sat on top.

Noisy bastards

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Balling
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it's nearly been a month since I received the sub, so it's about time I had more issues.

Recently the sub has had a habit of... well for lack of a better word, farting.
When the AVR is turned off the sub will sometimes make short spurting noises, basically... farts.

Tonight I had the misfortune of the sub suddenly going on a rampage and playing the soundtrack of a jackhammer at full volume.
The fact that I was playing a slightly spooky game at the time and nearly fucking died of a heart attack aside, this obviously isn't normal behavior.

The AVR was turned on this time, but playing through headphones, so nothing should have been sent to the sub.

Now as the sub has just been repaired, I'd be inclined to point my finger in that direction, but it honestly sounds to me like there's some sort of short circuit in the AVR that sends a signal to the sub even when it shouldn't...

Any ideas before I start ringing the manufacturers?

[Edited on 19-03-2013 by Balling]

Dom

19th Mar 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you think it's the AVR then test the sub with another source. The sub should have a low-pass on it's input so you shouldn't have any problems; just make sure it's line-level.
Alternatively feed the sub from another set of 'outs' (tape-out, pre-out) on the AVR or connect the sub-out to an oscilloscope/another sub/record it via your sound card and see what happens.
Balling
Premium Member

20th Mar 13 at 06:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Denon removed pre-out from the 23XX series after the 2010 model, unfortunately.

I have an old stereo receiver with tape out. Would I be okay just plugging the sub to the L channel? As you say, I guess it should filter out the unwanted frequencies.

Dom

20th Mar 13 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't you go tape-outs on the Denon? That'd also work.
But your old receiver should work, as long as you have some way of attenuating the line-level (i assume the sub has a level control anyway).
Balling
Premium Member

20th Mar 13 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently I'm mistaken.
Looking at pics of the 2312, it looks to have zone 2 pre out as well as DVR out, so shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.jupiter42.de/wp-content/gallery/denon-av-receiver/avr2312bk_e2ea_bk_000.jpg

And yeah, I can adjust crossover frequency and volume on the sub.

Will test it once I get home, just need to take everything apart to get to the back of the AVR...

Dom

20th Mar 13 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be worth trying the pre and post (which ever one you don't normally use) sub out, as it could just be a dodgy signal chain with one of them.
DVR (suspect this post volume) and Zone 2 pre-outs should also work.

Alternatively you could also use a feed from your laptop/iPod/radio, just keep the volume low on the output.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll