corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Employment Law - Grounds For Dismissal?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Employment Law - Grounds For Dismissal?
Mad Moe

User status: Offline
14th Nov 12 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just been informed that one of our site based employees was involved in an unprovoked assault on an elderly Gentlemen. Obviously I need to establish that this definitely the case however assuming it is am I within my rights to sack him on the spot? I dont want any scumbag of this type associated with our company.
Jamie Walby

14th Nov 12 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess you would need to prove beyond any doubt he is guilty.
Ben G

14th Nov 12 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

twas the case where i work.

guy beat the foreman up, guy got marched off by security and sacked.

need conclusive evidence though and witnesses.
Mad Moe

14th Nov 12 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming I could prove that he had committed the crime would that constitute grounds for dismissal?
Mad Moe

14th Nov 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry I should have been more clear this incident happened outside of working ours
spencer88

14th Nov 12 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely not an employment issue then?
Liam

14th Nov 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
Surely not an employment issue then?

Makes the company look bad?
Brett
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Moe
Sorry I should have been more clear this incident happened outside of working ours

I wouldn't have thought you could just march in and sack him because you don't agree with choices he makes in his personal life.
RichR
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suspend him with immediate effect pending invistigation on the grounds of bringing the company into disrepute then sack him after running it past your legal contacts to ensure you're legitimitely entitled to

[Edited on 14-11-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Brett
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has he not been prosecuted for it? Do you not have a policy on criminal records, etc?
Dan
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say it's awkward. What's to say it was unprovoked. The victim could have been provoking numerous times in the past and had it coming etc.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Haimsey
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dong see how it's grounds to dismiss the person.

What if it was an unprovoked attack on a 21 year old. I feel the 'old' person is aggravating the impression you get reading it.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Brett
Premium Member

It's an old guy so by default he's probably an arrogant bastard. Probs deserved a smack really
Matt L

14th Nov 12 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure you could sack him, obviously get proper legal advice on it.

seen as in this day and age you can get sacked for bad mouthing your company/boss on faceache then im sure assult would be acceptable reasons.
spencer88

14th Nov 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
It's an old guy so by default he's probably an arrogant bastard. Probs deserved a smack really

I can't see how it is grounds for instant dismissal.

The accident happened outside work, although yes it may look bad on the company, surely a warning would be more appropriate especially since you don't know the whole story?

I know accidents out side of work can lead to being sacked, but normally for companies in the public eye, such as the police or army etc.
Jamie Walby

14th Nov 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I'd say it's awkward. What's to say it was unprovoked. The victim could have been provoking numerous times in the past and had it coming etc.

Thats a good point you raise there. I myself have been in a position before where someone has pushed me for months and months without me reacting. The time I did he hadn't done anything to deserve it just caught me at a bad moment and I, kind of regrettably, punched him
Brett
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Walby one bomb
_Allan_

14th Nov 12 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pushed an old guy down a helter skelter once....

wait for it....

He died
Mad Moe

14th Nov 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I can gather the guy was in his mid 80s walking home from the local shop when said employee and accomplice attacked him for no apparent reason resulting in the guy requiring a visit to the hospital for his injuries. The pair were subsequently arrested and released pending further enquiries.

If this report turns out to be accurate I simply do not want this person working for or associated with our company.
Daveskater
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they were convicted then you can probably sack them on the grounds of gross misconduct, depending on what your contracts say. Ours has something that covers this situation under the list of things that constitute gross misconduct, so it would be worth checking.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Jamie Walby

14th Nov 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Walby one bomb

LeeM

14th Nov 12 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Moe
From what I can gather the guy was in his mid 80s walking home from the local shop when said employee and accomplice attacked him for no apparent reason resulting in the guy requiring a visit to the hospital for his injuries. The pair were subsequently arrested and released pending further enquiries.

If this report turns out to be accurate I simply do not want this person working for or associated with our company.

whos told you and have you got any evidence? could be a rumour for all you know. prett ysure youd have to wait until he'd been both charged and convicted as well
Steve
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 13:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i got into a fight in a night club, i wouldnt expect to walk back into work and be sacked.

granted beating up an old man is slightly different, not sure where the line would get drawn though, or there even was one legally
Demo

14th Nov 12 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Employment law is different to criminal law.

Employment law you need grounds of reasonable belief whereas criminal law you need prrof
Gary
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get rid for bringing the company into disrepute. It could affect business if folk know what he's done and that he works for you. I wouldnt use your company if i knew you employed guys that beat up OAPs.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Employment Law - Grounds For Dismissal? 23 database queries in 0.0145662 seconds