corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Where does my girlfriend stand with this?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where does my girlfriend stand with this?
DC90

User status: Offline
17th Nov 12 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking for a bit of advice and to see if anybody else has had a similar issue.

A couple of weeks ago the mrs bought a Yaris from a local garage, all seemed fine with it until she got it serviced a week later to have a friend of ours report back with the following issues -

Break pipe has corroded, engine is cracked, block has been welded. As well as this, the wrong oil filter cap is fitted and the car has an oil leak.

Now, the report back from the garage the car was serviced in is that the car should never have passed an mot (which was done a day before my girlfriend bought the yaris).

She has since gone back to the garage she purchased the car from and said she isn't happy with this and would like a refund, to which the garage have basically said you can't have a refund but we will repair everything for free.

The main question is - do they have a choice on whether or not they can give her a refund? Is it worth taking this further?

big eck

17th Nov 12 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in kinda the same situation but I bought the car private. It was a 106 quicksilver that was mot'd the day before I bought it but in the way home it drove badly weaving all over the road. I took it to a local garage where they had a massive list for me on the things that were wrong with it and it should never have passed the mot. I contacted the seller and they gave me the garage details where it was mot'd. I told them what was going on and that I was going to phone VOSA if they didn't help. The owner instantly told me to get a quote for all the work that needed doin and let him know. I told him the price and he send a cheque the following day lol. I was happy with that as I knew the car would be fixed right with the right parts.
Gaz

17th Nov 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would go to the citizens advice bureau for help buddy
ShEp

17th Nov 12 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easy to miss 1 brake pipe tbh.

And the block and oil cap isnt an mot failure, (depending on the amount of oil leaking)
Jamie-C

17th Nov 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's wrong with letting them repair it?
kennySRi

17th Nov 12 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
What's wrong with letting them repair it?

Was thinking the same. Probably the case like most woman who buy a car and then regret their decision and as soon as there's a small problem they want shut of it. I would get it repaired and you know the car is in perfect condition then and it was the car that you wanted only a few weeks ago.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
17th Nov 12 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brake pipe might just be an advisory and on an old car they'll need doing anyway at some point, get them done.

Block welded isn't a fault.

Wrong oil cap isn't a fault.

Oil leak should be fixed although the presence of oil isn't a fail either, depends how bad it is.

Legally they have to be given the opportunity to rectify it. You can't just get money back unless you've given them that chance. Even then you'd need to prove it wasn't fit for purpose which really, if it runs and drives you'll have a hard time proving. If it left you at the side of the road after the engine fell out, you'd be in a better position.

None of that is really all that serious.
Rob E

17th Nov 12 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if it was an advisory - the new MOT certificates have the advisorys printed on them so I'm sure they would have been aware of this when initially buying the car.

I would tell him you want your money back or you are going straight to trading standards to complain about him and his MOT tester.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
17th Nov 12 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean he hasn't noticed it but even if he had, it might not have caused it to fail.

You have no legal grounds under which to ask for money back. You'd need to appeal the MOT first, which will just mean you'll need to buy your own next time, plus the trader will still need the opportunity to rectify.

You can't just have your money back, you don't have protection in law. TS will tell you to exercise your legal rights, same as I just did.
huutchy

17th Nov 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

call vosa and call trading standards

car cant pass mot with a bad oil leak
smcGSI16V

17th Nov 12 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's an oil leak, not a bad one. How much an oil leak it is will be different from one pair of eyes to another.
Munchie

17th Nov 12 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Type in your v5 and reg playe into the car mot checker online.

Tells you advisorys
Steve
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you buy it on finance? I I'm sure there is a legal cooling off period you are allowed to return within. Not sure on the term though
Ben G

18th Nov 12 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where is the oil leaking from? if it's from the oil cap, surely a 5 pound replacement from euro car parts will sort that? hardly the end of the world.

ed

18th Nov 12 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to give the garage you bought the car from a reasonable chance to fix the car, you can't go straight for a refund. If they can't fix the car then you can get a refund from them. Standard statutory rights apply - the product needs to be fit for purpose.
taylorboosh

18th Nov 12 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask for a new block
DC90

18th Nov 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said to her let them repair all of the problems, take it to another garage, get them to check it and any more issues take it back to the garage she bought it from.

I think with her it's now going to play in her head that they've sold her a car with all of these problems, so even if they are fixed she isn't going to trust it (woman thing I guess?)

I've not actually seen any of these issues, since it went in for a service she took it straight back to the dealer, the only message i've been given is "the car isn't road worthy" and then a list of things which supposedly back this up.

Going by what i've read online and from what's been said on here I imagine the only option is to first let the garage try to rectify the issues and see where we go from there!
Ben G

18th Nov 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my other half told me my conservatory was going to fall down before we bought the house.

2 and a half years later it's still standing.

women.
andys sxi
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A similar thing happened to me when I bought an Audi a3 tdi, just over a week that I bought it it had a few problems which were going to be expensive, phoned him up and needed up taking it to his mates garage which didn't give me much confidence leaving it there, in the end he agreed to give me my money back after trying for ages, but they do say you have to let them fix the problems

April 08 feature car
DC90

21st Nov 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update on this - they have had a look at it and offered a refund as there are even more things wrong with it (no idea what, I'm heading over there today to get this resolved)

Refund sounds nice but now they are trying to refund only a fraction of the money because, to them, the car is now worth less. They've admitted that the car isn't fit for purpose but some how work out that they want to give the mrs £400 less than she paid! Cheeky fuckers
Scotty_B

21st Nov 12 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DC90
Update on this - they have had a look at it and offered a refund as there are even more things wrong with it (no idea what, I'm heading over there today to get this resolved)

Refund sounds nice but now they are trying to refund only a fraction of the money because, to them, the car is now worth less. They've admitted that the car isn't fit for purpose but some how work out that they want to give the mrs £400 less than she paid! Cheeky fuckers

Jokers.
kennySRi

21st Nov 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's proper cheeky. Seen as they've admitted the car not being right then there shouldnt be a problem getting the full amount back.
andys sxi
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lost a couple of hundred when it happened to me but when I paid £6400 for a car I wasn't that's bothered really because I didn't have a big bill over my head, fight for more money they shouldn't have sold it in the first place of it wasn't right

April 08 feature car
taylorboosh

21st Nov 12 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol no way id accept less than I paid
ed

21st Nov 12 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick phone call to Trading Standards will sort everything out. You might need to get a quote on the repair costs/some kind of description as to why it's not fit for purpose from someone independent but that's no bother to get sorted (especially if you go to a main dealer and get them to price up the work )

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by ed]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Where does my girlfriend stand with this? 23 database queries in 0.0136130 seconds