corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Working over Christmas...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Working over Christmas...
Norcy91

User status: Offline
29th Nov 12 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend works in Debenhams part time, and is only contracted a few hours per week. She constantly asks for more hours but her manager (awkward cnut) always declines saying they have too many staff, and even when someone leaves, they still go and employ someone else! She always gets given shit hours (evenings and weekends), doesn't get to choose what weeks she has her holidays, and her manager has a go at her for things she hasn't done wrong.

Now suddenly my girlfriend has been put down on the rota for working Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, the 29th, 30th and even New Years Eve and New Years Day! She wouldn't be too bothered about having to work one or two of the shifts over Christmas, but she's been given the same sort of shifts every year, just because most of the other staff are "going down south" or "away" which I know will be complete bollocks. A couple of the shifts are even as cover for the manager because she wants to go away at Christmas!

My question is, is she obliged to do any extra work over her contracted hours when given it? Or is she able to turn the shifts down she doesn't want/can't work? Her manager is a complete arsehole and does what she wants.
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Nov 12 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Difficult one as there's no real way to know if its deliberate.

Although if it is, refusing those shifts will make it worse.

She can turn down anything, even the entire job. By the sounds of it that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Ben J

29th Nov 12 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She can decline anything over her stated days/hours in her contract if she wishes. So if she's contrated to 8 hours a week, and the manager has rota'd her for 16, she can refuse the extra 8.

Sounds like he's being a bit of a twat tbh.

But then she has been asking for more hours, although a decent manager would have asked her first what she was willing to work over that period.
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 12 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just tell her to decline the days she doesn't want to do. What's the worst that could happen? Lose a shit job? More than likely just get a slap on the wrist anyway.
Norcy91

29th Nov 12 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that's the point, her manager never asks her what days/hours she can work each week, they just get put down in the rota and that's them set in stone. She wants a different job, but not just another dead end one on the shop floor of a department store!

She's already told her manager she can't work all the hours she's been pur down for, but her manager just came back and had a go at her for trying to get some time off. I've told her to go to the store manager instead of her department manager to complain about it and to refuse to do all the extra hours.

I don't think she'd be too bothered if it wasn't for the fact all her family are off work that week and so am I!
Andrew

29th Nov 12 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hand in notice, leave on good terms, get another crap part time job. It's not hard!

If the boss is as bad as you say he is, she needs to do this.
Norcy91

29th Nov 12 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just for reference, her manager is female. Seemingly on a life long period
K2 GTi

29th Nov 12 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems to me like she knows her regulars want a few days off between the christmas period so is covering it with someone that can't really say no.

Rewarding the loyals and giving the shit jobs to the part time
Norcy91

29th Nov 12 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone on the department apart from the manager is part time, no one is contracted more than about 16 hours per week.
Norcy91

29th Nov 12 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, her manager told her that Christmas is the busiest time in retail, yet she's taking a few days off over it... Professional
morpheus22

29th Nov 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Hand in notice, leave on good terms, get another crap part time job. It's not hard!

If the boss is as bad as you say he is, she needs to do this.

allways other "part time jobs"

[Edited on 29-11-2012 by morpheus22]
3CorsaMeal

29th Nov 12 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd tell her to commit to it, then never show up and leave them in the crap, then laugh down the phone to them when they call you up and say "not my problem buddy"

She probably just loiters about the place folding jumpers up and pressing till buttons, its more of a school leavers job imo
Hammer

29th Nov 12 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd leave but then I would never work Christmas anyway unless they were offering me thousands of pounds. No point earning 'quadruplegazuple time' if you can't enjoy time with your family.
Gary
Premium Member

29th Nov 12 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
its more of a school leavers job imo

You're not wrong, but hardly in a position to comment.

Has she been in trouble at work before? It's a right fuck on to sack someone now so just tell her to go in and refuse to do it. Fuck all they can do unfortunatly
Norcy91

29th Nov 12 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
its more of a school leavers job imo

You're not wrong, but hardly in a position to comment.

Has she been in trouble at work before? It's a right fuck on to sack someone now so just tell her to go in and refuse to do it. Fuck all they can do unfortunatly

Nope, never been in trouble before apart from trying to get last Christmas off for the same reason!
Gary
Premium Member

29th Nov 12 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell them to fuck and take a verbal warning
Whittie

29th Nov 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just leave. Shit hours, shit people to work for, plenty of jobs like it about. Get applying now, and give them their weeks notice. If contracted for under 16 hours a week, you only have to give 1 week, which im assuming could be used by holidays too.
Lawrah
Premium Member

29th Nov 12 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get boxing day and new years day off, them's the breaks.
3CorsaMeal

29th Nov 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I i had the chance i would work you all xmas long, and by work i mean putting my penis in and out of you at varying speeds
Shell
Premium Member

29th Nov 12 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is she contracted to? She has to consent to what is essentially overtime. But she wants extra hours when it suits her, and that doesn't make her look reliable. I think if you constantly ask for extra shifts yet they hire other people before they'll give you more shifts, you have to question if realistically, you're shite at your job. Rather than calling the manager a dickhead (which to be fair they probably are, and it certainly sounds that way) look at how you're performing and if you'd be worth giving more hours.
Norcy91

29th Nov 12 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She is really good at her job, always on time, does what she's asked to do and does the extra hours she gets given on the rota. She was wanting to be contracted more hours than what she's on at the moment, which they were refusing to do. It's the manager that's the problem, she has too many staff for such a small department and gets them to do all the hours and shifts she doesn't want to do.
Kerry

29th Nov 12 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm part time
I'm working the shittest shift of the whole year
Duty manager Xmas day 3pm-11pm
But it's a job, so I'm not going to moan....
Bprice91

29th Nov 12 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats just retail for you i used to work for bhs full time and you have all these shitty events that you have to stay til 9 oclock at night and again working xmas eve boxing day and new years, now i have left for that reason cus of crap hours now at my current job we shut down all over christmas its great
Shell
Premium Member

29th Nov 12 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
She is really good at her job, always on time, does what she's asked to do and does the extra hours she gets given on the rota. She was wanting to be contracted more hours than what she's on at the moment, which they were refusing to do. It's the manager that's the problem, she has too many staff for such a small department and gets them to do all the hours and shifts she doesn't want to do.

Simply turning up and doing what's asked of you doesn't necessarily make you an employee you'd consider giving more hours. Granted it doesn't make you shite either. Sounds like her manager is gonna be a shit regardless if you were the model employee who regularly went over and above b
Kerry

29th Nov 12 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Company's these days like to give people small hours contracts. Makes it easier to make cut backs.
It's the new full time

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Working over Christmas... 22 database queries in 0.1282349 seconds