corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Those in careers

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Those in careers
antnee

User status: Offline
11th Dec 12 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For those actually in careers (ie not working on a checkout), do you actually enjoy the work you do, not the workplace or your peers, Im on about just the work.
spencer88

11th Dec 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends.

Some of the work (which is the work I am meant to do in this career) yes, crap the boss and managers give me because they don't want to do it, no.
James

11th Dec 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I enjoy about 60% of my role. It's quite a varied role, which is good because I get bored easily. I write more documentation than I would like to, but in general I enjoy what I do.
RichR
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I had my chance again, I wouldn't have done what I do now. There are pro's and con's but being in an office 90% of the time isn't me.

Before this 'career job', I had a lot of customer interaction roles, either outdoors teaching watersports or in restaurants/pubs and I got a buzz out of those jobs which is what I don't get in this role

I think my main problem is that I chose a degree and career which was related to my hobby/passion and doing it 5 days a week has completely destroyed any desire to have anything to do with boats in my own time

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Balling
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, enjoy it very much.

Liam-Wilko

11th Dec 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont like my job at all and looking for a change being in an office is good when the weather is horrible but thats it 98% hate it
micra_pete
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love it.
AndyKent

11th Dec 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to be busier, things can sometimes be slack. I'd far rather have a career than no career if that's the question.
Ben J

11th Dec 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I enjoy about 60% of my role. It's quite a varied role, which is good because I get bored easily. I write more documentation than I would like to, but in general I enjoy what I do.

This
Simon_16v

11th Dec 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
Depends.

Some of the work (which is the work I am meant to do in this career) yes, crap the boss and managers give me because they don't want to do it, no.

Nail, head.
Fonz
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mechanical Engineer working as a Development Engineer - food and beverage cans (soup, baked beans, cokecola, beer cans etc)

i love it, like James i have a varied role split between a selection of projects, managing one, supporting another, used as the one "in the know" on others

some days can be dull and boring, but there isnt a "routine" day and every so often there is chance to travel, or we have a deadline to reach and people are pulled in to help

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by Fonz]
James

11th Dec 12 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt anyone will like their job 100%, it's just a case of making sure the money compensates sufficiently for the bits you don't like.
Shelly
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My job is usually split up into two full time jobs in other schools. So at certain times of the year mine can be pretty busy. But I like having the responsibility and work I do.
A2H GO

11th Dec 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, I never take my job for granted, I know what its like working in hotels, supermarkets, call centres and how thankful I am to now have a 'career' job that I enjoy.

If you asked me when I was 16 if this is what I wanted to do when I was older the answer would have been no and if I could have my time over I'd have followed my passion. Hopefully I can support my child in the future to make the right decisions and not make the same mistakes I did. That said I'm about as happy as I can be given the decisions I made.
Ben J

11th Dec 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Yes, I never take my job for granted, I know what its like working in hotels, supermarkets, call centres and how thankful I am to now have a 'career' job that I enjoy.

If you asked me when I was 16 if this is what I wanted to do when I was older the answer would have been no and if I could have my time over I'd have followed my passion. Hopefully I can support my child in the future to make the right decisions and not make the same mistakes I did. That said I'm about as happy as I can be given the decisions I made.

Hey...you can have a career in hotels you know!!!

And Supermarkets, and call centres tbh.

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by Ben J]
A2H GO

11th Dec 12 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely, I went from a part time Bakery packer to fully skilled Baker and then Bakery Manger in less than 12 months and I only got the job to tide me over until I found something else and had no interest in it whatsoever, so agreed the careers are there if you want them (if you class that as a career as it's still a really shit job).
RichR
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Supermarkets aren't that bad a career move, fairly secure too. My missus worked part time at Aldi whilst she was at uni studying law; She's now a store manager and earning more than me and definitely more than she'd be earning if she'd gone into law!! Although earnings are obviously not the be all and end all
A2H GO

11th Dec 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes they have some good development schemes, a guy I used to work with is now store manager, I speak to him regularly when I see him in there. Would still take my job on half the salary though.

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by A2H GO]
chrisritch

11th Dec 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I had the chance to start from scratch I would definitely choose something else I think.

Keep thinking about jacking it in and taking a Farriers course but dont know how I would afford to live
Ben J

11th Dec 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sheath Cleaning not working out as you'd hoped?
RichR
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 14:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
If I had the chance to start from scratch I would definitely choose something else I think.

Keep thinking about jacking it in and taking a Farriers course but dont know how I would afford to live

Missus Dad is a farrier/blacksmith. Proper old school nice bloke but his back, limbs, hands, everything are fucked from having worked out in the cold, hauling metal etc. and bending down to shoe horses for so long. He's had to give up being a farrier as he just can't manage with his back and knees now; still does the blacksmithery though
Ben J

11th Dec 12 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, in summary Chris. Don't.
Ben J

11th Dec 12 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris - start your own mobile sheath cleaning service????

Name could be...
"Shiney Sheath" or "Soapy Sheath" or just "Sheaths By Chris"

You could introduce 2 bucket method and sheath mitts? Then dry it using a ultra plush drying towel?

Niche market?

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by Ben J]
RichR
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not bad money though and its all cash. Would you make your own shoes or buy in and fit so to speak
chrisritch

11th Dec 12 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
its not bad money though and its all cash. Would you make your own shoes or buy in and fit so to speak

I'm not sure really. Forging is an art so it would be quite nice to be able to do but I imagine buying them in and fitting them up would probably work out just as cost effective in this market.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Those in careers 23 database queries in 0.1573582 seconds