corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Garages charging for unauthorised work

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Garages charging for unauthorised work
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Jan 13 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A friend of mine's car broke down over the weekend, AA was called out and they told her that the alternator was knackered.

The car was towed to some garage (on the AA man's recommendation) and on Monday the garage in question were told to diagnose and quote on the job, and give her a call later to advise. The AA guy said to her at the time that if the price was unreasonable or whatever that they could tow the car back to her home.

Short version of the story - they did the work and charged her £167 + VAT for labour and a 'new' alternator as apparently a recon couldn't be sourced, they then later on said it was a recon not brand new as first said...

Anyway, my question is - can they do this (i.e. do the work and charge for the parts and labour without prior authorisation first)?
JamesSXI

22nd Jan 13 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would guess not its abit out of order like
Joe

22nd Jan 13 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if the price was unreasonable the aa drop a broken car on her drive and I'd assume she would have to arrange to get it towed elsewhere?

The price seems fair to me, for what it's worth I'd pay it and just be happy the car is up and running again.
Sam
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I think that was the plan apparently (to drop it back) - she's a fair distance from home at the moment.
mattant

22nd Jan 13 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They shouldn't but it's happened to me before. My car failed the MOT so they decided to replace the parts and fix it without telling me.

I wasn't too bothered though as I would have had them do it anyway.
SXi_Tim

22nd Jan 13 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does happen yes, especially none dealer garages. Sometimes it can be miscommunication or the garage trying to make a quick buck.
To be fair £167 for an alternator and fitting doesn't seem too bad, at least the job is done now.
dragon2309

22nd Jan 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£200 inc VAT though, bit less palettable than £164. But still, it's not sky high.
ed

22nd Jan 13 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The will have probably used a recon alternator - alternators are the kind of parts you get money back from when you give the old one back to the shop.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never do anything without an ok from customer or insurance.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Generation

22nd Jan 13 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Already says they did
ed

22nd Jan 13 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yah
Christopher

22nd Jan 13 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When my head gasket went and i was all the way in newcastle (baring in mind i come from eastbourne) They came out, did the 45 minute check and then he said to me we can either tow it to the garage and get them to get a quote or tow you home! I chose home I think they should have quoted you first but i think its not bad! If it was something like my head gasket and they had done it and left me with a bill of £600+ then that may have been a different story!
Mattb

22nd Jan 13 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they cannot carry out any work without your authorisation. its that simple.

my manager made that massive fuck up with that R8 engine i replaced - didnt get authorisation from the owner - he found out and refused to pay - he took the car with a nice new engine for nothing
daymoon
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simple answer is no.

What car is it? I would ring local motor factors and find out how much a re-con alternator was. Then offer that amount to garage or re-fit old one.
LeeM

22nd Jan 13 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No obligation to pay. If I was her I'd offer to pay what it's cost them for the alternator, including the part exchange they will have got for her old one. No labour.
Tell her to say a friend would have done it for her for the cost of a second hand alternator so they've cost her more money handheld would have otherwise had to pay.
broster
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always had the customer confirm costs before carrying any work out.
How was it booked in? Any paperwork?

End of the day the way I see it is if you didn't ask for it then you don't pay for it.

Most of the time alternators will be on exchange. And that's not too bad a price for recon exhale alternator fitted.
Chris
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lucky when my car got towed to a garge i was told a least a week till they could start the job.

But NO they should not have done the work, but if they give a refund they might go down the stoarge cost route as the car was taking space up.
corsadonk
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 06:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this last week, I took my gearbox to a transmission place to get, a LSD fitted. I said a few times I only want the diff fitting, he yeah that is fine, I'll do it cheap as possible. Then he rang me back the day say he wanted £300 +vat to get it back in one piece.

I told him to get stuffed, and I picked it up. Now I've be putting it back together I can see he didn't need to do half the stuff he did.
Toby
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 06:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She's not entered an agreement verbally or wrottern that she has accepted the quote or asked them to go ahead without a quote. As far as I would be conceded is that they have replaced parts on the car of their own back.

Question is...... Are you happy with the amount paid and the work done? If not tell them you want the car back as it stands or tell them to remove the parts they have replaced and don't pay anything.
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 09:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What car Sam?

An alternator, fitted, for £200 is decent, regardless of if its new or recon.
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Incidentally, most motor factors only sell recon units as the new counterparts are prohibitively expensive for most people. Both the factors I've worked for have been he same, new units are normally only available if a recon one isn't.

Was it reconditioned or remanufactured?
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What car was it ?

Price doesnt seem too bad especially when you factor at least an hours labour dependant on the car.
LeeM

23rd Jan 13 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll bet the alternator cost them less than £100
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's how the motor trade works.
mattant

23rd Jan 13 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
That's how the motor trade works.

That's how any business works

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Garages charging for unauthorised work 23 database queries in 0.0168951 seconds