corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Racing Legends - Colin McRae

Poll: Racing Legends - Colin McRae
Legend 59 (93.65%)
Moron 4 (6.35%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Racing Legends - Colin McRae
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 13 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is on on Sunday after Top Gear after being delayed by the BBC due to 'copyright issues'

The discussions on other forums have split opinion over him, most saying he's a legend and anyone from Scotland saying he was a reckless moron.

So... What do you think?

I'll be watching him, in my opinion, he was a legend, the best to watch, probably the only reason I watched the WRC in the 90s
Ben J

23rd Jan 13 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legend for me. No question.

I remember seeing the news flash on the news when the heli went down that was registered in his name, and hoping that he wasn't on board. Was gutted

[Edited on 23-01-2013 by Ben J]
Nath

23rd Jan 13 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flying a chopper with an invalid license wasn't his smartest move. Not that that's why he crashed of course, but he certainly shouldn't have been in the skies.
mwg

23rd Jan 13 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"If in doubt, flat out"
ed

23rd Jan 13 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Flying a chopper with an invalid license wasn't his smartest move. Not that that's why he crashed of course, but he certainly shouldn't have been in the skies.

It's more likely his low level 'watch this' manoeuvres which killed everyone.
Nath

23rd Jan 13 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

It's more likely his low level 'watch this' manoeuvres which killed everyone.

He was blamed in the investigation so
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, having an invalid license can't have been the cause if the crash, that's like saying you crashed your car because your photo card was out of date.
BluKoo

23rd Jan 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He'll always be a legend for me.
Nath

23rd Jan 13 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Yeah, having an invalid license can't have been the cause if the crash, that's like saying you crashed your car because your photo card was out of date.

No shizzle. But had he been found out before he flew he wouldn't have been in the air. So to answer your question he was a bit of a moron in that respect, wreckless.
BluKoo

Still love this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5YXE7J9U58
ed

It shows a lack of professionalism though - he was known for letting his medical, license and type ratings lapse. Not really someone you want to go flying with, let along letting him take your son up for a quick flight.
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely there's a fine line? Did he not become a legend through taking what others might deem as moronic moves, e.g. if in doubt, flat out.
Ben J

23rd Jan 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He made a huge mistake, took a huge risk, with tragic consequences.

But tbf we've all at some time made a huge mistake, or taken a huge risk. I know I have on the road (albeit not with kids in car)

His had the worst ever consequences. But to me he'll still always be a legend.
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
Still love this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5YXE7J9U58

Reminds me of my journeys into work each morning tbh
BluKoo

23rd Jan 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Surely there's a fine line? Did he not become a legend through taking what others might deem as moronic moves, e.g. if in doubt, flat out.

In some respects he could be classed as a legend for doing some of the "moronic" things he did.
Nath

23rd Jan 13 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
(albeit not with kids in car)

Is pretty much the vital point in this debate. He can do what he likes in a rally car, but he had a repsonsibility to himself, his family, and his friends in that chopper.
Ben J

23rd Jan 13 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett

This. Most WRC rounds he'd either win it or bin it. He was always on the limit, often past it but thats where his huge skill and balls came in to play and gave him his success.
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Robin

No shizzle. But had he been found out before he flew he wouldn't have been in the air. So to answer your question he was a bit of a moron in that respect, wreckless.

Absolutely, my point is that a lot of people still say 'he crashed because his pilots license had lapsed' which isn't strictly true.

I agree that it was reckless and tragic however, as someone said elsewhere, people find it hard to differentiate between the athlete and the person.
Pip308

23rd Jan 13 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he was a moronic legend

he was only a good rally driver because he was reckless, he had no real regard for safety.
micra_pete
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His showing off pushed his helicopter well above his, and the aircrafts limit.

The result of this ended up killing two kids and one of his friends. In that respect, I would say an idiot.

However, I do enjoy watching his driving and am interested in the programme.
John

23rd Jan 13 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He shouldn't have been flying that helicopter and killed a couple of kids because of that, that's the person.

He was a good driver but flying a helicopter when you shouldn't be isn't really a small accident.
Mertin

23rd Jan 13 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will definately be watching this programme

In my eyes he was a legend, was a big loss for the country and rallying when both him and Richard Burns died. Who would've thought the two of them would die not at the wheel of a rally car
Tomnova16
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In regard to rallying, he was a legend

arseing about in a chopper he was a moron, this doesnt take away the fact he was and always will be a legend though.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Ben G

23rd Jan 13 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the title of the show is ''Racing legends''. key word there is racing.

when he was up in the helicopter, he wasn't racing. therefore, why does that have anything to do what the show is about?
M16KE B

23rd Jan 13 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Complete and utter moron for me. No question.

Fearless in a rally car but absolutley nowhere near as talanted as his Dad, Richard Burns, or countless other European WRC pilots. Destroyed more of M-Sports cars than anyone else.

Bit of an idiot by all accounst and the only reason the term "legend" is banded about is because he's unfortunatley passed away. If he'd still been here, nobody would give him a second thought.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Racing Legends - Colin McRae 25 database queries in 0.0416150 seconds