corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Delivery Drivers

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Delivery Drivers
Adster

User status: Offline
31st Jan 13 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/21183060

This was discussed on radio 1 the other day.

Personally, being a courier driver myself, I feel that the public see us as having such an easy job but im delivering over 100 parcels a day and when somebodys not at home its either left with a neighbour, taken to a post office or taken back to depot.

IMHO, if your not going to be in, dont order online. Saves me a bloody job of standing outside a house waiting for someone in the freezing cold or rain
Gaz

31st Jan 13 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if people didn't order online, you wouldn't be paid to stand outside their house? not a bad job really when you think hard enough.
_Allan_

31st Jan 13 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LeeM

31st Jan 13 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best one ive had was when i ordered a pair of joggers online, after a few days i rang up and they were down as being delivered. the note said no one was in so they were put through the letter box.
i live in a block of flats with a 24/7 reception and no letter box.
jonnieboy

31st Jan 13 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the service from some companies is shocking though.

I've had parcels left in my wheely bin regulary, and I've only noticed it there when I've gone to put the bin out, no note or anything
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We get stuff left in our wheelie bin too. Pretty bad when it's new clothes for the mrs and there's cat shit in there or somethin
Adster

31st Jan 13 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have actually delivered to places were a different company (UPS, interlink) have just left the parcel at a door in plain view.

That bugs me because it does put a bad name on drivers
Cavey

31st Jan 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I leave something that's not obvious i'll put a note through the door saying exactly where it is.

I'll happily go into someones garden and leave stuff under cover somewhere.

And i've also been to places where other drivers have left stuff on the doorstep, or worse in the rain, had one recently that was absolutely soaked, so handed her that too making sure she knew it wasn't from us!

Also driving along the other day saw a box in the road, went round the corner, and another one, so i stopped and checked them both, one was a crate of 12 bottles of wine, and one was a VM Router thing, I delivered the wine to the person, and the Yodel guy was at the house as I got there, didn't even seem to care that a few bottles had smashed when they'd fallen out the back of his van.
Cavey

31st Jan 13 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Question though for people.

Would you prefer that I left something round the back under cover, or would you prefer to pick it up 2 days later from the delivery office, or ask for me to re-deliver it a couple of days later?

Imo, it's half and half, get some people moaning that you didn't just leave their stuff, and some people moaning if you do leave them.

[Edited on 31-01-2013 by Cavey]
DanCobb

31st Jan 13 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worst courier by far is MyHermes. Very cheap but very, very shit.
mattk

31st Jan 13 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your job is piss easy, I do your job on the way to and from my job
jonnieboy

31st Jan 13 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MyHermes or UKmail I find are the worst.

MyHermes delivered a parcel to a house 10 doors down by mistake

UKmail tried to deliver and I wasn't in, so I arranged to pick it up from their depot, after 20 of trying to get through the gate, it took another 20 minutes for them to find the parcel. Waste of time.

Most local delivery offices are on my way to work, so id rather collect from there if they can't leave them in a safe place.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jan 13 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Multi-drop driving isn't particularly skilled but its also not what I'd class as easy.

I know a few people who do it and they all say that unless they rush about all day they would be doing 12 hour days for no more pay.

Proper tracking and scheduling is long over-due. I think a lot of companies would save a lot of hassle if the quoted actual times they're going to be there.
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've wasted no less than a weeks worth of holiday time waiting for parcels which didn't arrive on time. It's CityLink every damn time, and their "local" depot is a 100mile round trip from my house.

A courier that operates (as a standard service) between 6pm and 10pm would get a lot of trade I would imagine.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
LeeM

31st Jan 13 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Multi-drop driving isn't particularly skilled but its also not what I'd class as easy.

I know a few people who do it and they all say that unless they rush about all day they would be doing 12 hour days for no more pay.

Proper tracking and scheduling is long over-due. I think a lot of companies would save a lot of hassle if the quoted actual times they're going to be there.

DPD text you with a time, theyre great
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt class multi drop easy at all, even if you are doing business drops instead of residential drops all day. The guys we use to have in from DPD/Parcel Force were always rushed off their feet, after they have delivered all them parcels they have to do collections and finally drive back to the depo which can be a right old slog.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

DPD text you with a time, theyre great

And they email you, but the problem with this is that is puts alot of pressure on the drivers. DPD work out how many drops they have to do, how long it will take them, time between drops, all it takes is one traffic jam or something and everything gets thrown out of sync!
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jan 13 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be making sure people knew it was an estimate. Most of the time I don't care what time it will be, just that I have a bit of notice beforehand.

I'd be having the list of all the drops, your queue position highlighted, tick them off as they're going.

Be like watching the train thing or the Domino's web site.

They're paranoid about privacy though, I've asked to meet the guy a few times to give him stuff that needs to out a bit quicker and they won't disclose the locations in spite of driving round in bright yellow and green vans.
BluKoo

31st Jan 13 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Delivery driving was one of the hardest jobs I had.
Although that was due to the snow, and the fact that it was coming up to christmas so we had the vans loaded up with up to 160 parcels.
I never once managed to complete the deliveries. Thankfully it was just a temp job via and agency.
John

31st Jan 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I've wasted no less than a weeks worth of holiday time waiting for parcels which didn't arrive on time. It's CityLink every damn time, and their "local" depot is a 100mile round trip from my house.

A courier that operates (as a standard service) between 6pm and 10pm would get a lot of trade I would imagine.

I'm still waiting on a citylink parcel was was guaranteed for last Saturday.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a couple of deliveries recently both delivered to a neighbour. one was 6 houses away and the car said delivered to mrs san. the other was to 3 doors away but left no card

had one that was put in a small bin then thrown over my fence. easily could have broken the product and the bin. it was raining that day and the product was out of the bin getting soaked.

delivery is a piece of piss, how long do you stand outside someones house for? 20 seconds?
Cavey

31st Jan 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, 20 seconds is completely correct. I don't even leave the van, and just drive past and lob the parcels, and paperboy style
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive seen one driver knock then immediately walk to his van.
jonnieboy

31st Jan 13 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
delivery is a piece of piss, how long do you stand outside someones house for? 20 seconds?

i think the industry standard is less than 2 seconds

if no one comes to the door as your knuckle leaves the door on the last knock, you can assume no one is home
noshua

31st Jan 13 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
ive seen one driver knock then immediately walk to his van.

The one advantage of living in a block of flats is that everything gets left, downside is it's usually in the porch where anyone can pick it up - or Joe Boggs if he decides to press the 'trade' button...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Delivery Drivers 23 database queries in 0.0156450 seconds