corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Vans

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vans
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
8th Mar 13 at 00:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need something fairly big - 10' long and 5' wide internal

Am I right in thinking that if I look at:

Transit
Renault Master / Vauxhall Movano / Nissan NV400
VW Crafter / Merc Sprinter

That I've covered all of my options?

Been to Ford and Vauxhall at the moment. Ford guy was falling over himself to help and talked for ages about everything I'd be doing with it. Vauxhall said here's a brochure, read that.
Dave

8th Mar 13 at 02:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think you'll get 5' across in a Transit, certainly not between the arches anyway. Iveco Daily is a bit bigger.
L3H2 Relays are pretty roomy in the back too, probably similar to Sprinter/Master but much cheaper.

Are you looking at new ones?
Tiger

8th Mar 13 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crafter. VW's make bulletproof vans.
Dave

8th Mar 13 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Crafter is built by Mercedes, who make vans with bullet holes.
Chris C

8th Mar 13 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sprinter all day long for me, work now have a Nissan interstar and it's a piece of shit
pow
Premium Member

8th Mar 13 at 08:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have a crafter, they are awesome!
Gary
Premium Member

8th Mar 13 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a Luton?
baza31

8th Mar 13 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sprinters are ok but prone to loads of faults, they also rot really badly. They do go on and on though and quite good on fuel.

vw crafter - dont touch with a barge pole. engines are terrible for going, turbos ,injectors , electronics , list goes on.

transits - best out of bunch imo , only common problem on mk7 was DMF going , you can replace with a kit to do away with it. Odd problem with injectors .

Vauxhall vans are just shocking in general at that size , they have done well with the small vans ,combo and astra and corsa .

leave the fiat/nissan/peugeot alone .

Cole

8th Mar 13 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work with sprinters everyday and I think the newer ones are much better don't really seem to rot at all the pre 2006models definatly were shite for rotting. The 313cdi model will do 25mpg if it's fitted with cruise control which pre2010 models don't have will still do 22ish if driven sensibly.loads of room in them
mattk

8th Mar 13 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really like my Relay, Id have another one
Root

8th Mar 13 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get the VW crafter, fucking hate those things at work. When you put your foot to the floor, it lags at junctions for 1-2 seconds. Very unsafe. The steering is very heavy and generally, just shit to drive IMO.

The mercs are a lot better than the vw's, a better drive, lighter steering, that's all I can speculate on.
jonnieboy

8th Mar 13 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The transit can only just fit a Classic Mini in the back, with a few modifications to the wheel arches (sledgehammer). And I believe a Classic Mini is around 4 and a half foot wide?
Robbo

8th Mar 13 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theyd be fucking ginormous shoes mate!
Welsh Dan

8th Mar 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new Sprinters are far better than the old ones. Nicer to drive too.

A lot bigger than the Transit though, unless you're considering the LWB/wide one.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

8th Mar 13 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used a Crafter to move house. Was bloody brilliant. Fast and easy to drive too.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Mar 13 at 00:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Are you looking at new ones?

Don't know really, probably got about £250pm to lease one, not bothered about owning it at the end, just need something that looks fairly presentable and won't be any hassle. Not sure how new I can go, Ford dealer has emailed me a quote on their demo and its over £400pm on PCP. Don't really want to own it.

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
What about a Luton?

Would certainly carry the stuff but even worse on fuel than a high roof panel van, needs to compare well to what we're doing now, ie. towing with a hatchback.

Want a bit more security than leaving sheets of wood on a trailer particularly if I do an overnight.

Plus van could be loaded and be at mine when I leave in a morning instead of dicking about going somewhere to hitch the trailer on before you've even set off.

Van is a touch more practical, don't really mind manoeuvring a trailer but it'd be less hassle to not have one on, country lanes if you need to reverse etc., done a few farm deliveries and ended up on single track roads, not fun.

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
vw crafter - dont touch with a barge pole. engines are terrible for going, turbos ,injectors , electronics , list goes on.

Even if it was a fairly new one?

quote:
Originally posted by Root
When you put your foot to the floor, it lags at junctions for 1-2 seconds. Very unsafe.

Better on fuel though? I'd tolerate poor performance if it was saving money, I already own a racing car.

Ian
Site Administrator

9th Mar 13 at 00:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could also do with knowing when the more modern engines come in so if I go for an older one, its likely to be as good on fuel as a brand spanker.
Cole

9th Mar 13 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a sprinter Ian exactly the same as the crafter only real difference is the engine and headlights
Dave

9th Mar 13 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A brand new L3H2 Relay, the common LWB hi roof ones you see about, are £269+vat on a no deposit lease.

If you are going second hand I'd steer clear of them though and stick to a Transit if it's big enough.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

9th Mar 13 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

driven the merc sprinters while at DHL and they went like a train and never had a problem with them had shit loads of space and felt solid

vaux/renault/nissan - all the same turd with a different badge, felt awful to drive and not well put together

driven a few transits when i worked at my first bodyshop as we repaired alot of the commercial vehicles, great drive and a brilliant all rounder

never driven the vws so cant comment
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Mar 13 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
A brand new L3H2 Relay, the common LWB hi roof ones you see about, are £269+vat on a no deposit lease.

If you are going second hand I'd steer clear of them though and stick to a Transit if it's big enough.

Did spot this one, 2008 and <45k but its cheap - http://www.vehicles2lease.co.uk/vans/van/relay3/

Does the L3 H2 mean anything? Also seen L4
Dave

9th Mar 13 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen a 58plate white Sprinter, rust all along the bottom of both back doors Surely that is unacceptable nowadays?
It was delivering medical stuff too so not like it was a beat up builders van.
Dave

9th Mar 13 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The L and H are just what Citroen use to denote wheelbase and roof height. L1H1 is SWB standard roof, L3H2 is LWB high roof etc.
Cole

9th Mar 13 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That vehicles to lease site is mental the boxer ducato relay are all the same van but there is £60 difference in price what person in their right mind would pay more for the ducato than the relay
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Mar 13 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not all the same though, Relay is used, others might be new, different engines and sizes etc.

Think its just what they get hold of.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Vans 23 database queries in 0.0146801 seconds