corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone do MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection?)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone do MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection?)
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st May 13 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone do this? If so im looking for some advice about the training involved.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
alan-g-w

1st May 13 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done it in work, the training I was given was minimal - it basically comes down to whether or not you see the defects in the material at the end of the day. ie, I could inspect something informally and fail it but you could come along after me and officially pass it if you 'didn't see' what I saw, if you get my drift. Very grey area but a lot of money in it - I'd suggest getting trained up in all aspects of NDT (dye pen, ultrasound, etc) though if you were going for it
Dan
Premium Member

1st May 13 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its for work. We have a lot of cranks/heads etc tested, and they are tempted to go for this.

Its a 4/5 course I think.

richc

1st May 13 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would of thought Dye pen would be better for cranks and the like.

SVM 286

1st May 13 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not familiar with this. What industries and applications are involved with it?
Dan
Premium Member

1st May 13 at 15:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its ok, but the forman has used it before while at lotus race team, and belives its the way forward. It wouldn't just be used for this, we work in the marine/oil gas industry, so im sure theres tonnes of other uses

fred7

1st May 13 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mpi is perfectly fine for this. Dye pen would be ok but but has alot of limitations. Well worth doing a course. Ive been doing it for a few years testing my welds etc in the power industry and now aviation industry. Everything gets done atleast twice! What did you want to know? Might be able to help

[Edited on 01-05-2013 by fred7]
Dan
Premium Member

1st May 13 at 16:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just what's involved in the training really? The sites I've found barely show info. Any idea in course costs etc?

fred7

1st May 13 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not paid for it myself was when i was doing my apprenticeship. We had a 40 question test after 5 days training altho my training was over a few weeks. Half practical half paperwork. If i remeber right think it was 40 questions on each and need atleast 85% to pass. On the course you will prob do dye pen aswell as mpi depending what level you gonna do. Might even do u/t aswell
Dan
Premium Member

1st May 13 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The courses I can find are labelled as mpi, then there's all the other types you can do.

Found one price of 500 for level 1 and 795 for 1&2

So what do you use it for? What else can we use it for

fred7

1st May 13 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my job now making oil heater exchangers for planes we only use dye pen to see for cracks holes and porosity(Spelling). Mpi the same really just quicker and less messy really. Spray the item with a liquid with tiny metal particles then hold a magnet either side of the weld or where u want to check and if theres a crack etc the particles go in the crack and show up. Are you testing things that need to be tested internally like root runs or penetration? If you have the chance get the best course you can. If you are at a lose end with work BIG money in NDT and so easy

fred7

1st May 13 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also go on NDT cabin if need in depth advice they are all top end testers and friendly usually willing to help
Dan
Premium Member

1st May 13 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big money? what we talking per test etc?

fred7

1st May 13 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know per test. The lad who use to work for oceanonic think it was called who worked with us on site was taking £1600 home a week for holding some spray cans and squeezing into tight gaps! That was on a gas power station. He earnt abit more tho cuz hes level 3 and done passed off for all testing methods

Dan
Premium Member

1st May 13 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea I mean what can a business charge another business for doing a test?

Im more looking for reasons as to why they should invest in me doing it, so I can throw it at them and say I think you should train me in it because....

£1600 is small change (day rate we charge isn't much less than this) in the offshore industry.

So for a week of me doing it, for a cost of more than someones offshore survival it needs to be worthwhile to them. Otherwise they may as well invest in someone else to go offshore.

Is the equipment very expensive for mpi?

fred7

1st May 13 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as i know no its not expensive just the spray cans and magnet. £1600 was for the wage of 1 lad take home doing 8 hours aday 6 days a week not offshore. Im a welder with level 2 ndt so can do my own stuff if needed its not my main job. Best bet is go onto ndtcabin will find alot more info. We had 1 lad come to ironbridge from derby about 60ish miles he did 4 butts and charged the company around £600 he told us
Dan
Premium Member

1st May 13 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow that site is shit to use lol.

Supposedly a job we did the other week needed someone to do testing like this, and we had to sub it out, so another good reason lol

fred7

1st May 13 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a look and the sites changed alot since i last used it. But seen a few tool kits around £500-700 then ya spray so not much for tools. If your in that industry and do ndt 2-3 times a week well worth the money. Need to be retested every 3 years think it is but that might b dependent of the company
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st May 13 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we do NDT in work
3CorsaMeal

1st May 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got that magnetic silly putty which I've played with a lot. Would be happy to fill in some sort of questionnaire
richc

2nd May 13 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo do PCN LEVEL 2 - all of our customers state they must be level 2 minimum. We manufacture for nuclear/subsea/defense industries.

alan-g-w

2nd May 13 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally wouldn't be using MPI with engine internals. Any time I've done it you need to put this special very fine white paint onto the area you're testing so that you have a bit of contrast with the black defects showing up. That's not too bad but you're then pouring/ spraying a liquid with iron filings suspended in it onto whatever you're testing. Any small cracks create their own magnetic field and attract the particles.

The only way I'd be using it over dye pen for those sorts of items would be if I had an ultrasonic cleaner to put the items in after.

[Edited on 02-05-2013 by alan-g-w]
Dan
Premium Member

2nd May 13 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have the ultrasonic cleaning facility.

Whats the score with level 3? I read someone in the company has to be it?

Tiger

2nd May 13 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this like Non Destructive Testing?
alan-g-w

2nd May 13 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought you might have Dan if you do offshore work

Yes Tiger

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone do MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection?) 23 database queries in 0.0161259 seconds