corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » First ever accident... few questions!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author First ever accident... few questions!
kz

User status: Offline
11th May 13 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah so after 8 years of driving I finally went up some woman's arse, and not in a good way. Only occurred about 3 mph... basically pulling on to an A road, woman about to go on ahead of me, look right, notice the nearest car is quite some distance away (would have been enough time for her, and me to pull on before it got close) then look left again about to pull on and low and behold she stopped! Slammed on the brakes but didn't manage to come to a complete stop before smacking her rear bumper. I accept it's my fault, even though it wouldn't have happened if she wasn't dithering, but that's much by the by.

Unfortunately her car was a company car, so the choice of what to do was out of her hands. I asked her to please let me know if she could settle outside of insurance, but this morning I just received a letter from her insurance company... I took photos and have got my own quote for repairs and including preparation and spraying I've been quoted £150 so you can tell it's not a massive deal! I would have happily just paid that, but there you go.

So, what happens from here? Do I need to notify my insurance company? I won't be making a claim for any repairs on my car as there is literally no damage to mine... typical eh (wish it was the other way round) my NCB wasn't protected, I've been told they only take 2 years back, not the full amount, is this true? Obviously my insurance is going to go up, but is this something I pay straight away? Or do I only see this increase come renewal time?

So, in summery, just wondering what I do now!
Generation

11th May 13 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do need to inform your insurance mate
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This isn't much if a help to be honest but the same thing happend to me at a roundabout. Woman In front on her phone! Car I front of her goes. She stays there as she's too busy texting. She looked up and noticed so shot forward. I looked right. There was nothing. She was still going. I set off and looked right again. Car comeing with its indicator on to turn where we were exiting from. Got into second gear as I looked forward (maby 10-15mph) she had stopped over the white line. Slammed on and hit her at about 5mph. Popped her reversing sensor out. That was it. Said we would settle out of insurance. Then all of a sudden I get a letter off a solicitor for whiplash. Cunts
John

11th May 13 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Her insurance company will inform your insurance company if you don't, might as well phone them yourself.

You'll also have a whiplash claim but that's irrelevant really as your insurance will deal with it anyway.

You'll lose all your no claims I thought but have never had over 4 years and not protected. Increase will come when you renew and put down the crash.
kz

11th May 13 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either way I did a quote on Confused as if I had no NCB and my insurance only went up around £200-300 so not the end of the world, although I guess it will have a knock on effect for a few years. After 5 years you don't have to declare it anymore is that right?

I'm guessing as I won't be claiming on my own car, I won't need to paying any kinda excess this time round? Also... probably a dumb question, but when I phone up my insurance is it technically still going to be referred to as a 'claim' even though all I'd really be doing it notifying them of what happened, not actually 'claiming' myself?
John

11th May 13 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other party will be contact your insurance and will claim from your insurance. So although you aren't actually asking to claim, it's still a claim on your insurance.

I suppose you could also just answer the letter from her insurance company and pay for it from there, not telling your own insurance. This will undoubtedly end up being a large bill though so probably best to just let your own insurance deal with it.
MarkM

11th May 13 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She'll claim off your insurance so you'll have to pay your excess. You might as well have your own car repaired by your insurer.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th May 13 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The excess is on the full bill for both cars so assuming her repair takes you over that figure you may as well have your own car done as Mark says.

In fact, the bill will probably run it to thousands by the time you've had a load of quazi-legal hangers on writing you endless letters about nothing.
Steve
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regards losing all no claims when I had a small my fault accident, i didnt have protected no claims, and I only lost 3 or 4 years of my no claims, they dont all get removed, or they didnt with direct line any how
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We didn't pay any excess when my brother got found at fault after being involved in an accident a few years ago. Similar scenario, third party claimed but our van was undamaged so we didn't.

Regarding the no claims, I think it's insurer dependent, some only knock 2 years off, others take the lot off you.

[Edited on 11-05-2013 by Mike]
RichR
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Mike said, there isn't normally any excess to pay on a third party claim, so if you're not claiming, the only thing that should come out of your pocket is the hike in your insurance for the next 3 years as the result of a declared accident and regaining any lost NCB
sc0ott

11th May 13 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done the exact same thing before but luckily i didnt hit the car in front, and it was a woman driver surprise surprise. In situations like that you cannot remain calm.
Carl

11th May 13 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine went back to 3years no claims from 7 after my girlfriend nudged a car in front and she claimed for whiplash, no damage to either motors!. Thas with Admiral.
kz

11th May 13 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a couple of people saying I'll have to pay excess, and a couple saying I won't lol... I guess I should find out because my excess is £250 iirc and I can get it repaired for £150 so hardly worth claiming in that case is it. Anyone claimed with Aviva by any chance!?

There's no point in claiming for my car, because as stated there is no damage to mine apart from this tiny scratch, it's not taken any paint off. Bit of polish and elbow grease will get rid of that!

Her car

Ian
Site Administrator

11th May 13 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grands.
M2RTY

11th May 13 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No excess on third party claim. Going through similar with axa now
M2RTY

11th May 13 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ps i have 12 years ncb and would get knocked back to 6 but im protected
kz

11th May 13 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aviva only counts NCB as '5 or more' for maximum anyway! I have 8... but guessing that'll go down to 3 with them at least, rather than 6, which would still be maximum NCB. It's all rather confusing.
LeeM

12th May 13 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Got a couple of people saying I'll have to pay excess, and a couple saying I won't lol... I guess I should find out because my excess is £250 iirc and I can get it repaired for £150 so hardly worth claiming in that case is it. Anyone claimed with Aviva by any chance!?

excess is for your own claim only, not a third party claim.

call the other insurer, see what they say about paying them directly. there will probably be a weeks hire car though which will be £500+

but if the insurer has contacted you by post, are they asking for your insurer details? if they are they dont have them, so id ignore them
MarkM

12th May 13 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Presuming she has his registration they'll just do a MID check. Waste of time ignoring them and may increase costs including hire car use etc.
LeeM

12th May 13 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont increase any costs. but they might have the wrong reg...
pow
Premium Member

12th May 13 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm only due to loose 2 years NCB after an at fault claim so you won't loose the lot :-)
kz

12th May 13 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes... confirmed, just phoned up to make the claim and I'm done to 3 years NCB (even though I should technically be down to 6, but oh well)
pow
Premium Member

12th May 13 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah cos full is 5 years... So they'll scale you back 2 years to 3NCB
kz

12th May 13 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I get it. What I'm saying is before I was with Adrian Flux who actually counted it (whether or not it made any difference I don't know) as 8 years NCB. So with them, if I lost 2 years, I'd be on 6 years. Which then, according to Aviva would still be 5 years or more, which is their personal maximum.

It all pointless anyway because that's not the situation that happened, but was just thinking about it!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » First ever accident... few questions! 22 database queries in 0.0155661 seconds