corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Best Man Speeches

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best Man Speeches
Iain M

User status: Offline
15th May 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone done one?
Anyone got examples of what they did. Shitting myself about this to be honest.

Any help much obliged.
Matt L

15th May 13 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in the same boat got to get one sorted for my brother and has to go through bloody vetting from his soon to be wife
Nath

15th May 13 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got one next year. Already dreading it. I'm not very good at speaking to a large group.
GTM

15th May 13 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did one about a month a go. Got fairly drunk for a bit of courage but once you get going its fine really. Look on the internet but try to stay away from American sites as its not uncommon for them to be like twenty minutes long! Few jokes, few nice bits, compliment the bride etc
Iain M

15th May 13 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah mines for my brother too. Younger sensible brother.
Ryan

15th May 13 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did one last year, really enjoyed once id got going. Have a look on youtube, I found some decent ones when I was writing mine.
Hammer

15th May 13 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did one last month as well, don't bother yourself worrying about it for months before. Have a couple of drinks before it then stand and talk for a few minutes, most of the folk are your family and friends and don't want you to look like a dick and more importantly they're more interested in you finishing so they can get their dinner and get drunk.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did one years ago, vid is on you tube
Iain M

15th May 13 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wedding is next Saturday. How long was most of your speeches?
Ian
Site Administrator

16th May 13 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing on one Friday, 1100 words, going to last 7 minutes.

Internet the standard bits as you do have some thanks and acknowledgements to make. Then keep it as real as possible.

Internet jokes are shit, everyone's heard them. Also don't go too edgy, you'll end up not wanting to say half of it on the day. Better to have something short and genuine rather than full of jokes you fluff or discard.
Carl

16th May 13 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good tips Ian. Make sure you plan and practice it if you arent best at public speakinv. I picked up on stuff tbrough day to say but as soon as I started they went out of window as I went through what id practiced. I had 1 edgy generic joke, something along lines of "i hope this goes well, i have practised it at work at a centre for the elderly, i think it went well, they all pissed themselves anyway" (brides mother didnt look happy!) then the rest were general family friendly stories, leave all the stories you'd talk about as pals well alone really! I got heckled and wound up all day but when time comes everyone is supportive. Also another tip is do the speeches before eating so you can enjoy your food!

The feeling of relief once done is unbelievable!

[Edited on 16-05-2013 by Carl]
Tommy L

16th May 13 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got one in the 4 weeks. Done the opening and closing bits.

Can't say i'm looking forward to it.
Nath

16th May 13 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
The feeling of relief once done is unbelievable!

I read a poem at a mates wedding when I was an Usher, and the relief was immense. I started to enjoy the rest of the day after that.
baza31

16th May 13 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO it's the perfect excuse to rip to shreds your best mate. Tbf if you need to resort to Internet jokes you either don't know them well enough or they are boring . The only time Internet maybe useful is for the structure .Do people still get married?
Nath

16th May 13 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
Do people still get married?

wut?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th May 13 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worst thing I've ever had to do in my whole life
Ben G

16th May 13 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brothers getting married in 2 years and theres not a chance in hell i'll be doing any speeches. going to tell him to ask a mate instead.

at my cousins wedding, his best friend done it, and i cringed through the lot. it was boring, full of crap jokes, crocodile tears and shite no one cares about.

all i was interested in was the food i was getting afterwards.

[Edited on 16-05-2013 by Ben G]
mwg

16th May 13 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if your brother didn't want you as his best man anyway?
SVM 286

16th May 13 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did one a few years ago for one of my oldest, bestest pals.

Scared me witless for months in advance and on the day too.

Went down a storm once I got going though.

The relief once I was rolling was great and the relief once I was done was immeasurable.

It meant I could finally get drunk too.

I just wrote from the heart really and made sure I thanked and complemented everyone I needed to.

You can be formulaic with a best man's speech but it's a very personal thing and no two are the same. Just start mocking up bits of it in rough from ideas you have and facts about the bride and groom and then start tying them together with a bit of gentle good humour. That's what I did.

The worst thing for me was that our printer decided to throw the towel in, the night before the wedding, so I had to sit and write out by hand, the entire f*cking thing off of my computer screen when I should have been asleep.

Took for ever
Gary
Premium Member

16th May 13 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope no one ever asks me to do it. I'd end up getting pissed and making a twat of myself!
sc0ott

16th May 13 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best man speeches are all the same.

Do something different. Create an exhibition. start off with a presentation, followed by notice boards with various pictures, life stories etc etc and then have some of his personal belongings on stands etc for people to see, touch, smell etc.
Maybe create an agenda for everyone, give them an idea of how long each session will be, let them know of any break out session, coffee times.

5 hours tops.
GB123
Premium Member

16th May 13 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Best man speeches are all the same.

Do something different. Create an exhibition. start off with a presentation, followed by notice boards with various pictures, life stories etc etc and then have some of his personal belongings on stands etc for people to see, touch, smell etc.
Maybe create an agenda for everyone, give them an idea of how long each session will be, let them know of any break out session, coffee times.

5 hours tops.

With a guided tour on headphones
Ben G

16th May 13 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
What if your brother didn't want you as his best man anyway?

He already asked you twat
Carl

16th May 13 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
IMO it'h the perfect excuse to rip to shreds your best mate. Tbf if you need to resort to Internet jokes you either don't know them well enough or they are boring . The only time Internet maybe useful is for the structure .Do people still get married?

Its not the perfect time at all, its someone ie the brides, special day. Funny stories that you share with your pals about kurb crawling I cidents and what not arr best not shared, you have to proper tone it down and go for family orientated funny stories, more peter kaye than frankie boyle!
Russ

16th May 13 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not done a best man speech but i would love it as i am a big head attention whore

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Best Man Speeches 22 database queries in 0.0138500 seconds