corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bench pressing

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bench pressing
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
4th Jun 13 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can someone explain to me why people who do this always have an arms day, a legs day, a back day etc etc etc. I am asking as when I go to the gym I go and do the whole lot in one evening, yet everyone says that's wrong. I can't seem to find out why people seperate it into days though so it makes no sense why I'm doing it "wrong"

Hopefully someone can shed more light on the situation.
Carl

4th Jun 13 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its for people going 3, 4, 5 + times a week. The theory is isolating certain muscle groups so that they can train other groups the next day or 2 whilst the muscles trained fully repair from the exercises. When you rest thats when your muscles recover and repair which is the process inwhich they grow, so if you keep training the same body parts day after day you are ripping the same muscle fibers and arent giving them adequate time to repair and hindering your training.
Nath

4th Jun 13 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not "wrong", just probably less effective. I don't have 'days' either. I just do whatever.
MoesTavern

4th Jun 13 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're a beginner it's better to follow a full body program, with linear progression, 3 times a week or so. As that takes advantage of a beginner's ability to recover from workouts faster and will give you the best results.

A split routine (leg day, back day etc) is more suitable for someone who's trained for a few years, and wants to focus on bodybuilding as it lets them to concentrate on training a single area or body part intensely then allow it a week to recover.

Of course most people in the gym don't know what they are doing and jump straight into a split routine anyway.
Nic Barnes

4th Jun 13 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just doing 3 times a week and doing all of it each time. I ain't on any massive weights as I have no interest in getting massive just stronger. People keep telling me split it into days but I can't really find any info that says why this is the best. Most info says the opposite.
Corsa_Sport21

4th Jun 13 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long do you spend in the gym each evening doing the routine you do??
MoesTavern

4th Jun 13 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're interested in getting stronger then I'd follow a strength program, try Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or Ice Cream Fitness. All of these will give you a routine to follow in the gym, what exercises to do, how to do them etc.

I did Stronglifts myself. Starting Strength is a very good read though. There's loads of good info out there.

Marc

4th Jun 13 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing it on different days allows the specific muscles to recover.

There is no way I could do shoulders and chest in one session for example.
Nic Barnes

4th Jun 13 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do the machines not free weights, will write out the list of machines and weights I do on them later when I get home. I'm not particularly strong as I lost a lot of muscle I had when I lost all my weight last year so building it up slowly.
Nic Barnes

4th Jun 13 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
How long do you spend in the gym each evening doing the routine you do??
about 30-35 minutes on weights then usually do either an hour spinning bike or 40 mins running then a swim. Do that 3 times a week then all weekend on mountain bike.
McWillster

4th Jun 13 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How strong are you looking to get?

With such a high amount of cardio and i'm going to assume not a particularly high surplus of calories you will find that strength gains will be slow and minimal.

Can see your muscle endurance being far greater, you will get a bit stronger but i'd say after 3-6 months following that style of training strength will plateau.
sc0ott

4th Jun 13 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Terry crews 'euro training' is also a good routine.

Really shocks the muscle, and turns heads.
Nic Barnes

4th Jun 13 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by McWillster

With such a high amount of cardio and i'm going to assume not a particularly high surplus of calories you will find that strength gains will be slow and minimal.

Can see your muscle endurance being far greater, you will get a bit stronger but i'd say after 3-6 months following that style of training strength will plateau.
say today I will eat maybe 2000 women numbers but as I will be on the push bike tonight probably burn off 1000+ I'm really looking at building strength more than roid sized arms as that is of no use to me. Upper body strength isn't the best. I can do 2x20 at 20kg on the arm curl and 35-40kg on most other upper body machines. I started doing this in April and have put the weights up 10kg in 2 months as I can manage them.
Matt L

4th Jun 13 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Terry crews 'euro training' is also a good routine.

Really shocks the muscle, and turns heads.

love that episode
McWillster

4th Jun 13 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:

say today I will eat maybe 2000 women numbers but as I will be on the push bike tonight probably burn off 1000+ I'm really looking at building strength more than roid sized arms as that is of no use to me. Upper body strength isn't the best. I can do 2x20 at 20kg on the arm curl and 35-40kg on most other upper body machines. I started doing this in April and have put the weights up 10kg in 2 months as I can manage them.

Roid sized arms are of no use to anyone really haha

But the principle in terms of calorie intake and the amount you burn off are the same whether your trying to get bigger or stronger. It's the training style that differs.

My suggestion would be:

Up your calories. You've lost alot of BF so you're obviously no longer eating shite. Eating more doesn't mean you will get fat again. If you're loking to up stregnth aim to eat about 3000 cals aday of decent food.

Training wise, ditch the machines. You'll notice gains in stregnth using them because your in like a honeymoon period where whatever you do your muscles will get stronger. However the difference between using machines and doing compound lifts is like night and day.

Stick to low rep (5-8), high weight for 4-6 sets on the following:

Squats
Deadlifts
Benchpress
Cleans
Shoulder Press
Rows

Those will work your whole body including smaller muscle groups like forearms, hamstrings, core the lot depending on excerise..

With a bit more calories especially post workout and a bit more through the day, your recovery will be much faster.

I'm no expert but thats just typical rule of thumb..
Marc

4th Jun 13 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Training wise, ditch the machines. You'll notice gains in stregnth using them because your in like a honeymoon period where whatever you do your muscles will get stronger. However the difference between using machines and doing compound lifts is like night and day.

This.

As an example I can quite easily lift 45-50kg using the shoulder press machine all day. In reality I'm lifting 32kg dumb bells for the same exercise.
Russ

5th Jun 13 at 05:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoesTavern
If you're interested in getting stronger then I'd follow a strength program, try Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or Ice Cream Fitness. All of these will give you a routine to follow in the gym, what exercises to do, how to do them etc.

I did Stronglifts myself. Starting Strength is a very good read though. There's loads of good info out there.

/fit/izen?
McWillster

5th Jun 13 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:

This.

As an example I can quite easily lift 45-50kg using the shoulder press machine all day. In reality I'm lifting 32kg dumb bells for the same exercise.

Not to be pedantic wouldn't that mean your overhead press weight with dumbbells was a total of 64kg..? Which is > 45-50?

I know what you mean though. Machines help you and by using them means your only focusing on the major muscles. Using free weights brings in minor and stabalizing muscles thus promoting greater overall stimulation.
Marc

5th Jun 13 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah

32kg dumb bells or machine set to 45kg each side.
McWillster

5th Jun 13 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wondered whether you meant each side.
Russ

5th Jun 13 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

32 is decent Marc.
Nic Barnes

5th Jun 13 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'm on 40 for the shoulder press
Marc

5th Jun 13 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Free weights?
Nic Barnes

5th Jun 13 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Marc I use the machines. Most upper body stuff is 35-40kg apart from arm curl which is 20. Legs is mostly 60kg then leg press at 140kg. I can physically move more weight but I'm doing 2 sets of 20 so currently they seem about right and manage the last set with a bit more of a push to finish.
Corsa_Sport21

5th Jun 13 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you ever thought about going on the juice??

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bench pressing 23 database queries in 0.0224528 seconds