corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance changes they are contemplating (for young drivers)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insurance changes they are contemplating (for young drivers)
SXIBrad

User status: Offline
28th Jun 13 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

Thought I would start a thread up about the insurance changes that are being talked about (and have been for a few months now).

This is to judge what everyones opinions on them are and also to post your ideas on better proposals.

Firstly I will start off by saying what exactly they are talking about:

Young drivers (17-24) represent 12% of license holders, but account for 20% of all accidents on the road where someone is killed or seriously injured.

The changes they are considering for young drivers are the following:
- A limit to the number of passengers you are allowed in your car
- A minimum learning period before you are allowed to take your driving test (this would remove the fast track courses completely) I am not sure what the period is they are talking about, however I imagine it is a 12 month period (so that learners get experience in all weather conditions)
- A lower tolerance to alcohol (this would either be zero tolerance, or be reduced)
- A night time driving restriction

So they are the main ideas they are talking about, what are everyones thoughts? I will post mine in a comment below.
John

28th Jun 13 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They suggest this every year, along with changes to the test. They don't normally happen.
SXIBrad

28th Jun 13 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

- A limit to the number of passengers you are allowed in your car:
Personally I think this is ridiculous. Yes, young drivers may try to "show off" when they have their friends in the car. However if you were going to drive with 4 passengers, and could not due to changes in the legislation, they would be driving too (most likely) and that would mean 5 cars on the road rather than one. That immediately increases the risk of accidents as more cars = more chance of a collision with a vehicle or otherwise.
This would also hit car-sharers hard as a lot of people car share on the way to work. It would therefore cost people a lot more and also cause more emissions.

- A minimum learning period before you are allowed to take your driving test (this would remove the fast track courses completely) I am not sure what the period is they are talking about, however I imagine it is a 12 month period (so that learners get experience in all weather conditions)
This is the best idea from the lot of them. I personally think that learning to drive in snowy, wet and dry conditions would help educate learners quite a lot. I know in the UK we can never guarantee snow or any other weather, but its food for thought.

- A lower tolerance to alcohol (this would either be zero tolerance, or be reduced)
I cannot say I argue with this one much. Personally if I am going to be driving, I avoid drinking completely. I don't see how much half a pint of lager is going to affect ones driving though to be perfectly honest! But hey ho.

- A night time driving restriction
Possibly the most ludicrous proposal out of the lot. Night shift workers... that is all I need to say.

[Edited on 28-06-2013 by SXIBrad]
SXIBrad

28th Jun 13 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
They suggest this every year, along with changes to the test. They don't normally happen.

Yes I know they do, however each year they seem to get a little closer to changing it. And as I work at a insurance company now, this has been brought to my eyes recently (news within the organisation)
gazza808

28th Jun 13 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They only want to limit the amount of people in the car because then in said acciedent less people are in the car to become a figure.
I think it's all bollox,
No matter what you do it won't stop them being nobs.

taylorboosh

28th Jun 13 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea when i was 17 i would just do handbrake turns during the day with less people in my car
John

28th Jun 13 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Less people in the car also doesn't cater for showing off infront of your mates alone in their cars, although not driving at night would probably help. I wouldn't have written my car off if I wasn't showing off at night.
taylorboosh

28th Jun 13 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i dont drive at night everyone will see my shit paintwork
Ben G

28th Jun 13 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not this again.

It'd be almost impossible to police and considering they're going to be busy (lol) handing out fines to middle lane hoggers and tailgaiters, I highly doubt they'd have time to pull over young looking people taking their nan and grandad shopping.
Jay

28th Jun 13 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I passed when I was 17, regularly drove at night with a full car, never crashed or got points. Load of bollocks, people should just learn to be better drivers before allowed on the road.
SXIBrad

28th Jun 13 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I passed when I was 17, regularly drove at night with a full car, never crashed or got points. Load of bollocks, people should just learn to be better drivers before allowed on the road.

This is precisely true. Im 18, passed in November. I drive 90 miles every weekday and drive regularly when it is dark. I have had no crashes or points.

imo if someone is going to drive like a kn*b, they are going to do it, regardless of what time it is or how many people are in their car.

[Edited on 28-06-2013 by SXIBrad]
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Jun 13 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs to be based on trends though, you can't legislate and include every exception for people who've done OK.

I will say driving with people in the car is more difficult than driving alone though. If you handle it well, well done. But it is more difficult.
JordyCarter

28th Jun 13 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its all bull. The facts are there but at the end of the day its upto the individual? Its stupid like punishing everyone for a few people. Its racist
gazza808

28th Jun 13 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's like being penalised for having friends.
Root

28th Jun 13 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it's about time they stop penalising young drivers. Insurance is ridiculous enough and now this? Such a relief that I'm 25 in May and will hopefully just miss this silly little thing.

Why can't they just make the pass mark higher? And include country road driving and motorway driving on lessons instead?

[Edited on 28-06-2013 by Root]
SXIBrad

28th Jun 13 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sometimes I think driving alone is more difficult. You can get bored and start to think about random things which makes you lose concentration. I have no problem talking to passengers whilst I am driving but I hate driving on my own!
Ben G

28th Jun 13 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I passed my test 13 months after I began learning (35 lessons). That didn't stop me stamping on my brakes one very wet night whilst on my own and hitting a traffic light.
Ben G

28th Jun 13 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
I think it's about time they stop penalising young drivers. Insurance is ridiculous enough and now this? Such a relief that I'm 25 in May and will hopefully just miss this silly little thing.

Why can't they just make the pass mark higher? And include country road driving and motorway driving on lessons instead?

Is that not what pass plus is for? Make the mandatory and also make it longer. I loved doing it as it was much more relaxed and the tutor took into account you had passed your test, so was a bit more lenient.
sharpy28

28th Jun 13 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This sort of argument comes round every year, I agree with most of it, but I can't see then being able to enforce most of it efficiently, and the zero tolerance alcohol, I don't think that is possible because of the amount of false reading they might get from things such as mouthwash ect... Would end up wasting a lot of people's time having to go to they station to have a full breath test done for nothing, just my opinion of course
Root

28th Jun 13 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

Is that not what pass plus is for? Make the mandatory and also make it longer. I loved doing it as it was much more relaxed and the tutor took into account you had passed your test, so was a bit more lenient.

pass plus isn't mandatory. But this new bollocks will be, yeah it should be mandatory, the amount of times I've seen horrific driving on country roads, no wonder so many accidents happen on them
Sunz

28th Jun 13 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think young car drivers are penalized that much to be honest, it's only a case of money, if you can afford it you're allowed to drive any car with any amount of power you like from the age for 17 and in compassion to bikers that's a doddle.

You would expect these ideas would have a good affect on insurance premiums for young drivers, but I'm guessing it wouldn't budge, then young drivers really would be penalized.

0 tolerance on alcohol would be great.
GB123
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
I don't think young car drivers are penalized that much to be honest, it's only a case of money

Yeah it's good that all young people have an unlimited amount of money.
neil h

28th Jun 13 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Who's penalising young drivers? The simple fact is young drivers (especially blokes) are statistically proven to be the highest risk group on the road.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anyone needs any blame for high prices its anyone that has ever claimed thousands for a bit of pain in the neck
John

28th Jun 13 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait until pop comes in here with his quotes straight from an insurance industry magazine to dispute that.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance changes they are contemplating (for young drivers) 22 database queries in 0.0166860 seconds