corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Home air conditioner

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home air conditioner
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jul 13 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone have a mobile airconditioner?

I need one as my room is really warm and hard to sleep during the day even with blackout curtains

currently have a wall mounted fan but it just blows around warm air.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Jul 13 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no but im in the same boat
andy_mk3

12th Jul 13 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not cheap, and they need an extractor pipe I think. Might be worth seeing if you can pick up a cheap used one.
John

12th Jul 13 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got one in work and there would be no sleeping happening when its switched on.
Generation

12th Jul 13 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can easily have ones for rooms. One at work is quiet, and one in hotel last week was on all night with no problems
baza31

12th Jul 13 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was at direct laptops yesterday and they had one there for £180 and it was really quiet. You do need to pipe it outside , opening a window and shoving a duct out defeats the object really . I think am going to put one in loft and core out . In this weather it's unbearable

[Edited on 12-07-2013 by baza31]
Jay

12th Jul 13 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was working in someone's house the other day and she had hers with the pipe out the window, sat right Infront of it. Looked like it was nice, I was roasting
andy_mk3

13th Jul 13 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My room gets the sun all afternoon, I have thick curtains, keep them and the door closed, window locked ajar, it stays reasonably cool.
Hammer

13th Jul 13 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got one in work, sounds like a jet engine.
Ste
Premium Member

13th Jul 13 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought one from homebase. £259 and it cools the room loads but is quite loud.

Still, i can sleep with earplugs in and nice and cool which is better than silent and hot as fuck

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
John

13th Jul 13 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried sleeping with earplugs in yet? It's not really silent, you hear loads more stuff which sounds like it's coming from inside your head.
Welsh Dan

13th Jul 13 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest, I can sleep through the noise. When I get around to buying a house, i'm going to have to get proper AC installed for the two days a year you can use it.
Hammer

13th Jul 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Just bought one from homebase. £259 and it cools the room loads but is quite loud.

Still, i can sleep with earplugs in and nice and cool which is better than silent and hot as fuck

I reckon the drone, although loud, would probably put you to sleep. I get it with hoovers for some reason.
bigboykarl

13th Jul 13 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://gajitz.com/coolest-hack-ever-cool-water-pipes-fan-diy-ac/
Ben G

13th Jul 13 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Supervisor has one and said its lovely and quiet. I'm sure you can get different ones, not every a/c unit lets out 100 decibels of drone.

As said though, chucking the pipe out the window defeats the object.
Wrighty_1988

13th Jul 13 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think im quite lucky, house backs onto the motorway so im used to the noise, and being a 3 storey new build the top floor is all bedroom so i can open one end window and the other and create a through draught.
Ben G

13th Jul 13 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I often wonder how people can live near busy roads. It'd drive me insane.

I get all twitchy when someone with a cherry bomb comes down my street.
Ste
Premium Member

13th Jul 13 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Far from it. It's a heat exchanger and you need somewhere to get rid of the hot air.

The room got down to 19C before when i tried it out. That's with blackout curtains shut window slightly open (pipe is flattened at the end to minimise window gap. The pipe is pumping out really hot air. It works and needs the window open unless you pump the hot air out the room and onto the landing etc.

Doug

13th Jul 13 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As we are meant to have this heatwave for the next week I might buy one. £290 is a lot but would be priceless to feel less sweaty all the time!
Ben G

13th Jul 13 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Far from it. It's a heat exchanger and you need somewhere to get rid of the hot air.

The room got down to 19C before when i tried it out. That's with blackout curtains shut window slightly open (pipe is flattened at the end to minimise window gap. The pipe is pumping out really hot air. It works and needs the window open unless you pump the hot air out the room and onto the landing etc.

Falltening the end of the pipe is a better idea than the abortions i've seen.

Your room must be ridiculously hot. my bedroom window is south facing.and gets the sun fron 6am-7pm and i've had no problems.sleeping whilst ob night shift this week. I just plugged my tower fan in on the lowest setting for an hour to get me to sleep.
kz

15th Jul 13 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My room was 28.7C when I went to bed last night it drives me fucking insane. I guess I should buy an air-con unit but I always think the heat just isn't going to last that long...

Been sitting here for an hour with all windows open max, curtain pulled and fan on and it's currently 28.C in here
Hammer

15th Jul 13 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather be warm going to bed than have to put up with the shit weather we're landed with in this country the majority of the year.

Swings and roundabouts.
Nath

15th Jul 13 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
I'd rather be warm going to bed than have to put up with the shit weather we're landed with in this country the majority of the year.

Swings and roundabouts.

Fucking right as well.
JonnyJ

15th Jul 13 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WHS. Been sweating like fuck at work but im not complaining, its awesome waking up to blue skies and 20+ degree heat. Everyone seems to be in a better mood when the sun is shining too.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Jul 13 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love the weather but not when im trying to sleep during the day! I dont mind working in the heat because 90% of the time I can just wear shorts

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Home air conditioner 23 database queries in 0.0162060 seconds