corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My first ever race, Trackday trophy @ Brands Hatch GP. Kick the bucket list!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My first ever race, Trackday trophy @ Brands Hatch GP. Kick the bucket list!
birchieboy

User status: Offline
29th Jul 13 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't want to bore you all with the details, but after passing my national B licence in February this year I decided to race in the Trackday trophy series. After an engine rebuild that was carried out by Mr Lee Hearsey and changes to the car to make it suitable for the series regulations I booked up Brands GP race which was held Saturday 27th July.

Testing; 4 weeks prior to the race i went to brands for an evening session where i blew 3rd gear

2 weeks prior to the race i was still waiting for the correct rose joints for my lower arms.

1 week prior i was adding ballast to the car to keep in within the correct power to weight ratio

3 days prior we noticed the engine knocking, the solid engine mount on the gearbox side had failed

The day before we were working on the car till 12:30am as we noticed the hub had span in the bearing causing alot of play, fitting the gearbox mount, replacing a cv joint as thread had stripped, fitting stickers and changing fibreglass panels back to metal.

on the day we were bleeding brakes, making suspension changes and cutting arches to stop new 205 wide tyres scrubbing..........

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/10244/james_birch_1.jpg
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/10244/james_birch_2.jpg
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/10244/james_birch_3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=448786581895396
Video of race start.

after all of that........ IT WAS THE BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!

if you ever get a chance to race in a series, grab it by both hands! i can only thank everyone involved, most of whom are not on corsasport. I'm lucky to have a great group of friends, this car has been built over the years on my driveway on limited money, I'm no millionaire here, just committed to achieving my dream, to race competitively.

Race report;
Qualified 23rd out of 44
in the first 30 mins of the 45 min race i climbed 13 places to 10th, then while everyone else was making pit stops i went up to 2nd, then i carried out my mandatory pit stop, but there there were oil pressure problems, opened the bonnet and the dipstick had popped out and covered the engine bay with oil.
Forced to retire.

After everything we overcome to get to the grid it was a little disappointing for a dipstick to fail! but so pleased with how the car all came together in the end, it really hooked up well and i was confident i could have grabbed a couple more places.

Now I'm hoping to save enough money to make it to Silverstone for the next round in September, then November back at Brands Indy.

Ill try and get more pics and a video up

p.s i need a sponsor! if you know of anyone

[Edited on 29-07-2013 by birchieboy]
Balling
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So long story short, you entered a race and lost?

Sounds like good fun, could imagine it being a great experience.

Out of curiosity, of the 44 cars how many completed the race?

Ben G

29th Jul 13 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your sister said you came 10th on facebook...

That start looked rather chaotic
birchieboy

29th Jul 13 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha yep, i lost

But the first 10-15 laps dicing with everything were me living the racing driver dream! Sad it maybe, but when your that passionate about something that's how it feels. I still smiling about it today.

To be honest I don't know the answer to that question, I saw one fail on the start line and 3 crashed off, I'd say a few more retirements due to mechanicals, a rough guess I'd say 34 out of the 44......

birchieboy

29th Jul 13 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Your sister said you came 10th on facebook...

That start looked rather chaotic

Yeah she lied! Lol I said before the start I'd be really happy with 10th or higher.
Think she was so pround of me (family love) she thought I deserved my 10th place, bloody dipstick! Who'd of thought that would end your race......

Yeah it was manic! But I was glad I was in the thick of it, buzz was unreal
Haimsey
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great job. Shame about having to retire.
Well done!

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Chris C

29th Jul 13 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lucky sod ! Would love to do something like this, bet your heart was going crazy at the start line !!
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so from doing your licence to an entry fees/costs for the race, how much do you reckon it set you back?

id love to do this myself
SXIBrad

29th Jul 13 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a great experience.

Shame about the dipstick though! After all the problems you overcame to get it ready for the race, and a fucking poncy dipstick ends it :/
birchieboy

29th Jul 13 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
so from doing your licence to an entry fees/costs for the race, how much do you reckon it set you back?

id love to do this myself

Rough prices were

MSA race pack - 65
ARDS test - 250
Medical - 20
OMP suit/boots/gloves/balaclava all FIA from YB racing (cheap season stock) 320
Entry free - 425 (usually 325 but Brands GP is more expensive) (can be divided by two drivers with shared drive at pitstop)
Petrol - 100quid
Extinguisher/rain light/ignition cut off you could all do for less than 200quid

There were more costs as I wanted to uprate the car, but those above are the minium to get you out there.

Best to half the cost with a friend and share the driving. Just have to toss a coin who gets to start, as in my opinion that was my highlight!
chris_uk
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congrats on actually entering something, better than having your car sat under a sheet on your drive taking pictures of it with a remote controlled flying toy.
birchieboy

29th Jul 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris C
Lucky sod ! Would love to do something like this, bet your heart was going crazy at the start line !!

Like you wouldnt believe! even more so when there was a 3 car sandwich all rubbing panels infront of me into the first corner! That's when I realised what I'd got myself into! Lol
*CorsaCal*

29th Jul 13 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one mate. Sounds good. I want to get into this in the next couple of years.
corsadonk
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done, for entering.
Gaz

29th Jul 13 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

antnee

30th Jul 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done on actually making a race. Shame about the dipstick, its common for people to cable tie them down when racing
birchieboy

30th Jul 13 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah going to make a spring or clip for the dipstick now
Joey 1.6 sport

30th Jul 13 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done Jay shame I didn't make it but will catch up soon
Graham88

30th Jul 13 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quality mate. Nice one

Was your evening session at Brands on 24th June?
birchieboy

31st Jul 13 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Quality mate. Nice one

Was your evening session at Brands on 24th June?

Yeah that was me, was meant to be testing the car for the race, but it didn't last long before I blew 3rd gear up

Yours looked like it was going well!
Graham88

31st Jul 13 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wondered if it was you but didn't wanna walk over in case it wasn't

Cheers mate what sorta times do you get round the Indy? It looked rapid?
birchieboy

31st Jul 13 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha
I've never timed myself on any track apart from the ring. My mate timed some of my laps at the race on brands GP and best was a 1:53.... Don't know if that was my fastest of the day though. What do you get on the indy?
Graham88

1st Aug 13 at 04:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My best is 55.2, hit regular 56's mostly, purely depends on traffic as you know! Just be interesting to see really
birchieboy

1st Aug 13 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's pretty quick! What do BTCC cars do round there? Yeah its hard to get consecutive clean laps on a trackday on the indy circuit. I should be racing the indy in november so ill know what times I do then
There's also a race at Silverstone the day before trax but don't know if ill beable to afford to do it.
Chris C

1st Aug 13 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What dates in November ? I wouldn't mind going to watch.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My first ever race, Trackday trophy @ Brands Hatch GP. Kick the bucket list! 23 database queries in 0.0162511 seconds