corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legalities of a DIY bike rack... and selling them!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Legalities of a DIY bike rack... and selling them!
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Aug 13 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The missus and I have procured two bikes on our travels thanks to a lovely pair of aussies who bought them for an extended holiday and didn't want to ship them home... so I want to crack them on the back of the camper and use them!

All the bike racks I've seen are stupidly expensive and sit on the boot lid so they are 1. higher than the camper itself, 2. stop you from using/opening the boot and 3. completely shut out the view out the back!

So I've had my thinking cap on and I think I could make one that mounts on the original bumper mounts (do away with our fibreglass rear bumper!)... is there any standard it would have to pass for me to attach it or is it one of those chuck it on and not worry about it situations?

Also - few people who I've spoken to along the way have expressed an interest for one themselves, I was thinking if mine goes well I'd have my metalwork guy bang a few up, powercoat them and then I could wire them up for lights and sell them on - any legal implications?
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Aug 13 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would think so long as the lights and number plate are still visible, there is no issue that you manufactured the rack as opposed to buying one that's mass produced.
pow
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you think there would be some EU or British standard it would have to pass though as you're bolting it on the back of a car?
Bonney

11th Aug 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just do the British standard swing-off test.

If you can swing off the fucker without it 1, falling off 2, moving or 3, falling apart then it should be fine.
pow
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet you'll be able to stand on it as it's on the same mount points as the towbar
Bonney

11th Aug 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Main point is to make sure it's secure, another is just make sure there is no sharp edges that people can be harmed by. The last thing you want is it falling off and possibly harming other people, or damaging their property.
pow
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah of course, rounded corners on the ends, nothing sharp, it'll be mounted to the old bumper mountings (that also take towbars and the bumpers are proper metal jobbies), it'll have lights and a numberplate too
Steve
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to sell them you will need some sort of safety test I would have thought
pow
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did wonder that, can't find anything about it though!
corsa-torque

11th Aug 13 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it to dragons den Dave
Ben G

11th Aug 13 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
If you want to sell them you will need some sort of safety test I would have thought

I very much doubt hippy camper van drivers deal in anything other than cash and gentlemans agreements. Different if you're going to start a business I guess.
AlexW

11th Aug 13 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have a look tomrrow at the cycle carriers we have at work, see if there is any mention. Might not be of any use mind.

On the camper thought, think about the bed's that aren't crash tested etc, they are still legal etc
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for legality all I can say is it has to be clear of your reg plate and your lights. Sticking a reg on the bikes so you can see it is illegal strangely enough. And they have to have a way of securing then to the rack that isn't bungee cords. That's all I know of realy.
deano87

12th Aug 13 at 05:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate has a homeade bike rack that mounts on tow bar. DIY light board even. Just need to make sure the number plate is lit, tail, brake and indicator. He's had no such issues.

Surely it will be cheaper to fit a tow bar and get one of the basic Thule tow bar racks for £100?
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 13 at 07:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because of the engine conversion and exhaust, tow bar won't fit. Also, tow bars for t2s are silly money
scottyp1989

12th Aug 13 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just think of all the wheel adaptors/banded steels/custom springs people started nocking out, 100% guarantee they havent been through any test so wouldnt worry about a bike rack TBH
Baskey

12th Aug 13 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just put in the small print 'for show use only' no one in the camper scene will care
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 13 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
Just put in the small print 'for show use only' no one in the camper scene will care

I never thought of that
Nic Barnes

12th Aug 13 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are a lot of DIY trailers on the roads, mostly towed by French cars that will have never ever been inspected for anything.
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 13 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Again, very true point! I think I will design it and have one made up, see how it goes and if I have interest, have more made up and have "for show use only" stamped on it somewhere hidden and punt them on
deano87

12th Aug 13 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only issues you might have is with France.

They have strange laws about bikes being secured to vehicle etc. Pretty sure you're not allowed strap on racks in France.
AlexW

12th Aug 13 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked into this a bit today... Should have thought about it sooner.

Going onto anything Pre 1995, can have anything you want, as it hasn't got to be type approved, its why you could make up your own towbar for vehicles pre 98 in the uk, and 95 europe.
pow
Premium Member

14th Aug 13 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got any source for that Alex?
Tomnova16
Premium Member

14th Aug 13 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Red or brown source?

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
pow
Premium Member

14th Aug 13 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Red please Tom. And that's sauce

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legalities of a DIY bike rack... and selling them! 23 database queries in 0.0124149 seconds