corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Flight delays & compensation

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Flight delays & compensation
dragon2309

User status: Offline
24th Aug 13 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CS is usually a wealth of information, so thought I'd try my luck on here.

About 3 weeks ago, coming home from Turkey. Turn up at Dalaman airport and get told flight is delayed 9 hours, we got shipped off to a nearby hotel (huge thing, like 700 rooms or something). The time was around 7pm, so our expected flying time was 5am the next morning. We get to the hotel, and we're told there is a free meal available, and 1 bottle of water each. Anything else you'll need to pay for, and rooms are available, but none are free, you'll need to check in and pay full price for a room if you want to sleep in a bed.

There was a few people that paid for rooms, but the majority just claimed a piece of floor, and laid down on it. Us included. I'm not sure how many of you have actually slept on your back on the floor for an extended period of time, but it actually fucking kills.

But anyway, long story short(ish) we flew back around 9 hours later, landed in Gatwick and were all given a letter explaining how to contact them for complaining/compensation etc... We did so, saying we all should have been given rooms as it was an overnight stay, and the donation of one bottle of water, when your in turkey when its regularly 40* in the daytime, and never below 28* at night, is a bit of a shit one.. They replied to us today, eventually, by email. I wont quote it all but it basically said "All delays have a reason, and we've investigated this one and found ourselves not to be the reason of the delay." Then the cheeky fucks put some sarky comment about "It's like your car, if you paid for it to be serviced and MOT'd every year, and then it broke down, would that be your fault??" I was literally speechless that they'd get so blunt and abrupt with it. Oh, dont think I mentioned, the cause of the delay was their plane broke down... Their plane that they are meant to maintain... Broke down... And delayed everything for 9 hours.... And thats not their fault, aparently.

Now tbh, I would have left it there, if it wasnt for the outrageous comment about "if your car broke down it wouldn't be your fault would it???" that rubs me the wrong way and it sounds like theyre being too sodding smug for their own good.

I expected compensation, and tbh feel I deserve it, my back is still not right from sleeping on the floor. Do you reckon any no-win no-fee places would take this on and get us anywhere? Or is it not worth it?
sc0ott

24th Aug 13 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like the worst end to a holiday ever.
dragon2309

24th Aug 13 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh was a bit of a shitter tbh... rest of the holiday was great! Just not that part..

Least it wasnt at the start tbh.

Did make it a bit inconvenient, as I started a new job the day after we were meant to arrive in the UK, lol, so was a bit tight
Graeme
Premium Member

24th Aug 13 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What airline?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays
dragon2309

24th Aug 13 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was with Thomas Cook, will have a read of that page now, thanks
Graeme
Premium Member

24th Aug 13 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thomas cook which is part of the Tui group can sometimes be an arse to deal with. Tui are the problem (Gernan) reason I know is my dad works for Thompson which is part of the same company.

Keep at them and you will get somewhere.

I agree they should of offered more drinks but not a room to sleep, not for only a 9 hour delay. By the time your In the room then settled wont be much point.
Ben G

24th Aug 13 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That reply is disgusting. I can't believe they put that in

I came back from turkey saturday night and drank 2 bottles of water whilst checking in! 1 bottle is a disgrace.

I would be getting a solicitor/lawyer/whatever involved so everyone can benefit from the unprofessional way they've acted.

on a seperate note, sleeping on the floor should actually help your back. As a kid, I used to sleep on one all the time and only.started getting back problems after sleeping on a stupidly springy matress.

[Edited on 24-08-2013 by Ben G]
djgritt
Premium Member

25th Aug 13 at 06:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
I agree they should of offered more drinks but not a room to sleep, not for only a 9 hour delay. By the time your In the room then settled wont be much point.

A 9hr overnight delay should warrant a room. To be expected to be sleep on a floor isn't acceptable, you could still get a good 6-7hr comfortable sleep in that time in a Bed.

Still, shows the difference between budget airlines and the big ones - I've had long delays with BA & Virgin - both put me into a Hotel, with a room, Meal & Soft Drinks inclusive of their FOC cover. Bar Bills & Telephone/Internet use were not inclusive and would have to be paid by the Traveller.
The Virgin delay was an expected 5hr one, still got a Room. That eventually turned to a 2 day delay, and still had all the expense covered.
Jamie Walby

25th Aug 13 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phalanges take ages to repair
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Aug 13 at 08:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fill in online claim for with CAA let them deal with it now TC have responded with that.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Xs

25th Aug 13 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much compensation do you feel you should be entitled to as a result of this?
Carl

25th Aug 13 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which airline? Look on moneey saving expert as said, if it's jet2 they sont pay out, others seem to.
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Aug 13 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:
Originally posted by Graeme

A 9hr overnight delay should warrant a room. To be expected to be sleep on a floor isn't acceptable, you could still get a good 6-7hr comfortable sleep in that time in a Bed.

Still, shows the difference between budget airlines and the big ones - I've had long delays with BA & Virgin - both put me into a Hotel, with a room, Meal & Soft Drinks inclusive of their FOC cover. Bar Bills & Telephone/Internet use were not inclusive and would have to be paid by the Traveller.
The Virgin delay was an expected 5hr one, still got a Room. That eventually turned to a 2 day delay, and still had all the expense covered.

Wouldn't really class Thomas cook as a "budget airline"
BeetleGav

25th Aug 13 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flying to turkey in 4week with Thomas cook, never had a problem with them before, infact they have usually departed us early. Can only wait to see.

My parents claimed money back from a delayed flight they had about 4 year ago with monarch. They got about £350 each compensation when the flight only cost about £400 anyway
Ben G

25th Aug 13 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I flew with thomas cook and was fine. Seats were about 10mm away from the one infront, but thats boeings fault. Cunts.
BeetleGav

25th Aug 13 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've paid for extra legroom can't cope with being squashed like I don't need legs
Ben G

25th Aug 13 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We got that for free on the way out, but got demoted to poverty spec on the way home.

Fucking mrs dad booked the seats. Stupid scottish cunt.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Aug 13 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
How much compensation do you feel you should be entitled to as a result of this?

Depends on distance travelled.

I have a claim in for US and its €600 per person.

Turkey would be roughly €400 per person

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Russ

25th Aug 13 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats wrong with you people

you had to wait 9 hours before flying back hoe and you wont money for it
Ben G

25th Aug 13 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They offer it.

If you saw 500 quid laying on the floor, you'd take it. Same thing here.

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Aug 13 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha my flight back from Florida was cancelled, slept in airport then flown back to Gatwick not Manchester, bus up to Manchester.

If they want to give me €2400 I'm taking it!

Russ

25th Aug 13 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats different to

flight got cancelled, had to wait a little longer than anticipated
Russ

25th Aug 13 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
They offer it.

If you saw 500 quid laying on the floor, you'd take it. Same thing here.

i'm so rich by the time i bent down to pick it up i wouldve earnt doublt that in interest

honest
dragon2309

25th Aug 13 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll fill out the CAA complaint form tomorrow and see how they handle it. And yeh I wasn under the understanding that any delay classed as "overnight" warrants a room to sleep in... It was an odd sight having like 250 people crash a hotel and just sleep wherever there was a free space. I'd be right pissed off it I was actually staying at that hotel, then 250people turn up one night and sleep on the floor, haha.

Also, I forgot that some people on CS are so elite they wouldnt take openly offered, free compensation when it's offered to you... Christ...

Cheers for advice guys.
Russ

25th Aug 13 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well dont forget again.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Flight delays & compensation 23 database queries in 0.0082250 seconds