corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » question regarding accident repair through insurance.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author question regarding accident repair through insurance.
Ben G

User status: Offline
21st Oct 13 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I allowed to choose a bodyshop for it to be taken to?

It's not driveable so will need to be taken there by whoever the insurance company choose.

my insurance company put me through to an accident management company who are meant to sort everything out, but does that include them choosing the repair garage? If so, am I obliged to tell them I want it to go to the place of my choice?

We were in the process of trading the car in for a new fiesta and the sales guy has said if I get them to take it to his dealership, they'll still be able to do the deal, otherwise i'll lose it. Couldn't have come at a more inappropriate time.
John

21st Oct 13 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can take it where you like. Leave the accident management company out though.

You probably can't take wherever you like if the insurance company are providing a hire car, thats normally in policy somewhere.
Ben G

21st Oct 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, didn't know that. Will have to ask tomorrow when they ring.

The hire car is only available due to it being non fault. Unsure if that makes a difference.

The insurance company were pretty insistent about using the management company, probably get some monies by referring me.
STEvieXE

21st Oct 13 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They will try anything to get you to take it to their preferred repairer including offering excess discounts etc. my advice stick to your guns and take it where you want. That's your right as the vehicle owner
Pop

21st Oct 13 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be in the small print. You may have a larger excess to pay if you take it to a body shop that isn't recommended by the insurer.
Ben G

21st Oct 13 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But if it's non fault then I won?t have any excess to pay? I understand you'll most likely need to pay out first then get it refunded back.
Pop

21st Oct 13 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm assuming it's a nailed on non-fault claim for your insurer to be recommending using an accident management company
Ben G

21st Oct 13 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most likely, they're just waiting for confirmation from the other parties insurer to take the car away.

hopefully hear something tomorrow.
Pop

21st Oct 13 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not ever had to claim but I think sometimes non-fault claimants have to pay the excess then it is recovered back.

Preferred repairers are used for containment of costs. As your insurer won't be picking up the bill if it's non-fault I doubt they are as concerned.
Pop

21st Oct 13 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your insurer should hopefully be able to give you more advice shortly.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Oct 13 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably need to pay the excess and claim back later.

You can take it where you like. Not applicable in your case but don't do that just because its your prerogative - it can sometimes be cheaper in terms of excess to use theirs.

Also make absolutely double triple sure that you're not at fault before you start making decisions which rely on it. Whether you think the circumstances of the accident absolve you of blame is not the issue - you need to establish liability as soon as possible before you incur any costs which you assume you'll get back.

Also - fire the management company - leaches.
Graeme
Premium Member

21st Oct 13 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason they want it to go to one of there own approved body shops is because the body shop industry is full of back hand deals.

Control over labour rate, cone back for parts costs, paint etc.

You can take it where ever. The accident management can cause issues. But it's your choice. As Ian said try find out ASAP the verdict of fault.

If a non fault you should be ok with getting a car through there insurance. The excess you may have to pay and claim back or if you talk to insurance company they can waver it for you sometimes.

[Edited on 21-10-2013 by Graeme]
Ben G

22nd Oct 13 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update:

Other insurance company are disputing liability, surprise surprise.

I have extracts from the highway code that puts him at fault though (185/187).

Spoke to my insurance company myself as the accident management company were useless and he said the easiest thing to do would make a claim on my own insurance and then they can try and claim costs back from the 3rd party.

I then asked about the car going to a repair garage of my choice and he said thats fine, but i'll need to arrange that myself.

This is proper stressful. And to top it all off, after having just 1 night off work last night, my work have sent out a welfare officer to basically question me on my doorstep. Unbelievable.

Needless to say I feel as if i'm going to have a heart attack right now. My blood is boiling.
whitter45

22nd Oct 13 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the car on a PCP

If so I would just let the insurance company deal with the body shop etc

Its one less thing to worry about

Ben G

22nd Oct 13 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's on the ford options scheme, which I believe is basically pcp.

The only reason we want to use this specific ford dealer is because we were half way through trading the car in for a new one and the sales guy said he can still do the deal if the car is repaired at their dealership.
Corsa_Sport21

22nd Oct 13 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your extracts will need to be backed up by some sort of evidence surely?? Have you got CCTV footage and what not??
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Your extracts will need to be backed up by some sort of evidence surely?? Have you got CCTV footage and what not??

His GF in the car with him. But i doubt they can use her as evidence.
Corsa_Sport21

22nd Oct 13 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if the other party had a passenger also??
SteveoBC
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your legal right to have the car repaired wherever you wish, acc management firm should be chasing this up to get liability sorted

regardless of who is supplying hire, car is your property and you get to take it where you want, insurers try to direct you to their own repairers to get it done cheap as possible

excuse the pun but you are in the driving seat when it comes to where your car is repaired
Ben G

22nd Oct 13 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21

His GF in the car with him. But i doubt they can use her as evidence.

It was a guy in another car, not my gf.

Just dropped the car off at ford. Bloke had a quick look and guesstimated a 5 grand and 3 week repair, so not exactly a cheap one!

Going to claim on the missus insurance policy and then try and claim back if/when the 3rd party admit fault. This is the only.way the cars going to get fixed soon. It's not driveable, so had no choice.

The accident management company were utterly useless, so i've bypassed them completely. they said they can only send out a hire car once the 3rd party admits fault, which isn't happening right now.

[Edited on 22-10-2013 by Ben G]
John

22nd Oct 13 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's because as soon as someone admits fault they can cash in big time for doing absolutely nothing. They won't be interested in what could turn out to be a 50/50 or whatever.
Ben G

22nd Oct 13 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It must be the easiest job in the world.

Sit in a nice office, make a few calls and then watch the money roll in from insurance companies.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Oct 13 at 17:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Needless to say I feel as if i'm going to have a heart attack right now. My blood is boiling.

Chill Winston, car is at the place where you want it, and someone who isn't you is paying. They can sort it out themselves.

Personally I wouldn't talk about claiming on your own policy then faffing later, far easier to lose.

You got the circumstances of the crash anywhere? We'll knock you up a letter to make the third party claim at the other insurer, by the time its fixed you'll have won.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Oct 13 at 17:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
It must be the easiest job in the world.

Sit in a nice office, make a few calls and then watch the money roll in from insurance companies.

You forgot all the backhanders from solicitors etc.

Wouldn't even speak to them. Although you seem like you want to need them! Stress isn't the way, if you were fixing the car yourself with a little hammer and some plasticine I could understand but it should take a few phone calls and perhaps a letter, no hassle at all. Just be clear what you want and make the case.
Ben G

22nd Oct 13 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The issue with having to argue the case is waiting for the other insurer to admit liability before it's fixed.

It also means I won't get a hire car (they offered like for like, I declined and said any car will suffice) until the 3rd party do admit fault.

I'm also paying monthly for the car so whilst it's off road, i'm paying for something the missus can't use and will be spending a lot more on public transport.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » question regarding accident repair through insurance. 22 database queries in 0.0129759 seconds