corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Plastering courses

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plastering courses
Generation

User status: Offline
18th Jan 14 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have any of you ever done one?

Thinking of doing one in evenings, would be nice way to save some money for when I move out, and was also be a handy skill to have.

Just not sure on how much should be budgeting etc, and time frames of doing it.

1/2 nights a week would be ideal
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Jan 14 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I taught myself through you tube

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
pow
Premium Member

18th Jan 14 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Live Lee did one, he's pretty sharp at it now by the looks of things.
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was £850, every Saturday, 0800-1800 plus one evening in the week for 10 weeks to gain City and Guilds level II. For full level four, the place I went to send you off into domestic properties for 20 further days at extra cost-I'm not after doing this as a full time job, I did it to prevent me ever having to use a robbing bastard, cunt of a human being pretending to be a plasterer again.....

I'm glad I did the course though, I did it with my Dad and even at a total of £1700 between us; it's paid itself back tenfold and that's without touching my own house. I've picked up work at a local hotel where they're taking one room off every month to be entirely refitted with new bathrooms etc. so I'm doing an extra £500 a month for a weekend and a couple of nights work and that's with them supplying all materials; I only supply equipment and labour.
Ojc

19th Jan 14 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet I could surf on your plastering
Generation

19th Jan 14 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Lee, that's exactly what I hoping to read.

Great bit of information
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oli, I guarantee you couldn't.
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And don't give me bullshit about needing 20 years experience to be a good plasterer because I have first hand experience of plasterers with 20 year's experience and it wasn't pretty. Plastering actually isn't all that difficult, look at some of the total retards who market themselves as spreads-it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist-much the same as painting and decorating...

[Edited on 19-01-2014 by LiVe LeE]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Picked it up off my old fella. Get a bag of multi finish, bit of plasterboard and have a go yourself. Like Tom said watch few videos and don't be scared to give it a go.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Liam

19th Jan 14 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Mine was £850, every Saturday, 0800-1800 plus one evening in the week for 10 weeks to gain City and Guilds level II. For full level four, the place I went to send you off into domestic properties for 20 further days at extra cost-I'm not after doing this as a full time job, I did it to prevent me ever having to use a robbing bastard, cunt of a human being pretending to be a plasterer again.....

I'm glad I did the course though, I did it with my Dad and even at a total of £1700 between us; it's paid itself back tenfold and that's without touching my own house. I've picked up work at a local hotel where they're taking one room off every month to be entirely refitted with new bathrooms etc. so I'm doing an extra £500 a month for a weekend and a couple of nights work and that's with them supplying all materials; I only supply equipment and labour.

Where did you do yours at? You are fairly local to me and I've been thinking of doing something similar myself...
Russ

19th Jan 14 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I bet I could surf on your plastering
Ojc

19th Jan 14 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Oli, I guarantee you couldn't.

Pulling your leg, fuck me I've had to rectify plastering at mansions because of recessed ceilings with lights shining across them so when painted you could see every high spot/low spot, it was back breaking working with hand sanders off of hop ups.
Ojc

19th Jan 14 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
And don't give me bullshit about needing 20 years experience to be a good plasterer because I have first hand experience of plasterers with 20 year's experience and it wasn't pretty. Plastering actually isn't all that difficult, look at some of the total retards who market themselves as spreads-it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist-much the same as painting and decorating...

[Edited on 19-01-2014 by LiVe LeE]

Oh I don't dispute that, I worked for an amazing painter on a job in Reading and he was so impressed with my work he got me on his next job decorating top end houses, bare in mind I'd only been a decorator for a year.

Thing is I listen and take in what I'm told and look to learn from others, older guys always think they know best
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just in case you missed it several years ago; this is the reason I decided to take the plastering course. This is the efforts of a Plasterer who I had seen the work of; has been used by DIY SOS on BBC; comes with every recommendation under the sun and this is how he left my house....

....imagine how long that took to sort out Oli.
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ That was apparently a 'great job' and just needed a 'light sand before painting'.
pow
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fuck is with that caulk/silicone
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's was every internal corner; ever single one in the entire upstairs.
Gary
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got pics from when you'd redone it?
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't redo it; one of the tutors on the college course I ultimately went on did and made a perfect job given the base that he had to work with! It was because of the quality of the finished job that I did the course, along with the realisation that unlike most trades where any bad work can be removed, replaced or painted over by someone more professional, plastering isn't that simple to correct when it's ballsed up and as Oli alluded to, the plastering quality drives the finished appearance. That's why I wanted to take full control of the plastering from that point forward and why I'm conscientious with the finish I achieve.

[Edited on 20-01-2014 by LiVe LeE]
Ojc

20th Jan 14 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking lol I could do better than that with some easy fill and a caulker
Chris x

20th Jan 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you pay him?
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, it ended up dragging out for 6 months and court papers being filed but he didn't get a penny-last I heard, he was slagging me off in a pub in Ashbourne saying that I clearly couldn't afford to pay him all along! The hotel that I'm doing the work at used to only use him, feel like I've got my retribution now.
Ojc

20th Jan 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plasterers and electrician are the dirtest bastards on site as well, plaster over expensive new windows wherever they go. Don't even wipe it off while it's wet.
pow
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plasters are the worst. Shit everywhere
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's where I try to be different, it helps that I'm borderline OCD but both myself and my dad go in and tape off/mask/dismantle everything first and then spend almost as long cleaning up as we do actually plastering. What you don't get from the shoddy work in the above photos is the extent of the mess-it was everywhere, inside and out, upstairs and down,all over my elderly neighbours' rose beds, even on my shed roof!! He's a fucking dong!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Plastering courses 23 database queries in 0.0149369 seconds