corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Opening a small joint bank account...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Opening a small joint bank account...
kz

User status: Offline
1st Mar 14 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and the missus always end up owing each other money for stuff and it's getting quite annoying now. Just had the thought of opening a separate account and setting up a standing order from both our normal accounts, small amount like £50 or something.

Basically it's just for ordering tickets to events, takeaways, small online purchases... we don't live together, yet, but we hope to soonish. Is this possible? Just had a quick look on MSE but most accounts seem to want at least £500-1,000 being paid into them each month.

I would say it's easier just to keep with either bank we're with but I want a debit card for the account (well, two) so we can use it when we're out as well?
Tiger

1st Mar 14 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I wouldnt bother, just manage your monies better.
Bart

1st Mar 14 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you living together? Seems a bit odd that you "owe" each other money, perhaps that's the norm at the start of relationships?

My wife gets 100% of my wages, I think she owes me quite a lot
baza31

1st Mar 14 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why does your wife get 100% of your wages? Can't you manage your own money .

JordyCarter

1st Mar 14 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would give my gf/wife x amount of money a week. Sort of like pocket money.. but for women
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Mar 14 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be bothered personally, that £50pm is either going to be too much or too little.

If its reciprocal and you remember it, surely you can work out who is buying dinner next time.

[Edited on 01-03-2014 by Ian]
kz

1st Mar 14 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It may seem pointless to you, and it kinda is lol... but she gets very stressed over money.

Recent example...

I bought festival tickets for £85

She bought alcohol for £16 + a docking station for my iPhone for £20 + ordered a takeaway for £23.

Now obviously it's easier to say just knock all that off the £85 so she owes me £26. But she can't afford that, so we end up rolling things over to pay day. When this is happening 3/4 times per month it all gets a little confusing. The idea would just be to be putting money into a pool, and spend from that so we never have to think about who owes who for what.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Mar 14 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can't afford to let £26 go, you certainly can't afford to be paying £50 a month in to an account that isn't the ones the bills come out of.

What you going to do it money is tight and you have the choice of paying a direct debit from your main account or bouncing it because you moved £50 out to an account you might use at some point next month.

If she's so stressy, buy her a notepad so she can write it all down.

No way would I be faffing about moving my money somewhere else, that isn't the solution anyway - you'd need to keep track of the balance in there and wonder whether its going to work before you bought anything, doesn't work for larger purchases for the same reason, just a load of messing for nothing.

The actual problem is she can't afford to buy as many things as you - which is a different problem. Which I would address by buying fewer things, not diminishing your personal balances yet further.

[Edited on 01-03-2014 by Ian]
baza31

1st Mar 14 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ian said . Why do you have to match everything half and half ? Doesn't it take the fun out of everything talking about splitting money after. Surely if your taking her out for a meal you pay for it fully or she does? I generally pay for a lot more than my mrs and I couldn't gaf . I enjoy taking her out and also enjoy when she takes me out . We never talk about money either
kz

1st Mar 14 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is a couple of years ago she earned £9k more than me, and everything was split 50/50. Now, I'm earning £12k more than her, so I think it should be the same deal.

She is fine with this, it's just the keeping track of it that gets to her. If she could just give me the £26 now there wouldn't be a problem... maybe I could just give her £100 a month and say use that for stuff.
nibnob21
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can understand if you don't have much money. When I was at school and neither me or the misses could afford hardly anything on our part time weekend wages we would always try and keep things even.

But during Uni it became less of a concern, and now we're earning properly it doesn't matter. For the last 6 months while she's been looking for work I've been paying for everything and haven't given it a second thought. Now she's earning too I know she'll probably want to try and repay some of that even though I don't care about it. And at the end of the day the bills have to be paid and whatever's left after that is spent on both of us, so effectively our money merges and doesn't belong to one of us solely.

MX5 Project Thread
Tomnova16
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell her to chill out and stop stressing until you actually live together

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Dan
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds one odd idea to me, arguing over pence. If your a couple, just spend what ever.

Out of interest, how long you been together? Do you live together?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Bart

1st Mar 14 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
Why does your wife get 100% of your wages? Can't you manage your own money .

It just goes to pay everything, namely the mortgage, bills and food.
Generation

1st Mar 14 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take in reigns instead?
Generation

1st Mar 14 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put it into a savings account.

Use app to transfer when want to pay for something from current account?
deano87

1st Mar 14 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barclays Pingit. Job done.

Joint accohnts can affect credit ratings moving forward. Saying that, mine and my Mrs joint savings doesn't show up on my Noddle account.
Eck
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Thing is a couple of years ago she earned £9k more than me, and everything was split 50/50. Now, I'm earning £12k more than her, so I think it should be the same deal.

She is fine with this, it's just the keeping track of it that gets to her. If she could just give me the £26 now there wouldn't be a problem... maybe I could just give her £100 a month and say use that for stuff.

Just tell her to forget the £26 Tight git.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been with my mrs 3 years. We don't live together. And we just pay for stuff. We never owe each other any money.

I could spend £70 on a meal today and she could buy a pizza for us tomorrow for £20. Doesn't mean she owes me £50. And it doesn't mean that she has to spend £50 on us to make it even.... Just means I spent abit more than her. Big whoop.
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems a bit much micromanagement to me.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
kz

1st Mar 14 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
Originally posted by kz

Just tell her to forget the £26 Tight git.

Don't get me wrong if it was a one off I wouldn't care at all... but this is week in week out. It goes both ways too, she was stressing out earlier about me sending over £12 to her bank account! Just always ends up this being sent there, that being sent somewhere else. Pisses me off, I wanna simplify it!

I've always ended up owing mum money at certain points and just jotted everything down on a notepad file, maybe the simplest way.

Oh and to everyone asking (even though I mentioned it in the OP) no we don't live together... been together just over 4 years.
nibnob21
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like she just needs to chill out.

MX5 Project Thread
Dan
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you are both as tight as a ducks arse.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Jason x
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
she was stressing out earlier about me sending over £12 to her bank account!

been together just over 4 years.

Eck
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Sounds like you are both as tight as a ducks arse.

This tbh

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Opening a small joint bank account... 23 database queries in 0.0160089 seconds