corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT Mileage Discrepencies - Clocked 30,000 miles.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT Mileage Discrepencies - Clocked 30,000 miles.
Tiger

User status: Offline
7th Apr 14 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had my VW Van MOT'd, at the same garage as last year.

The mileage record for last year is:

But then the record for this year is as follows:

Also - the van has only done 1900 miles since last MOT, 90% dry miles too from the summer. Last year there was not one advisory, yet this year there are advisories that would almost certainly have been there at the last MOT (brake hose deterioration, brake disc scoring or pitting, and also head light alignment for headlights that are identical to last year etc).

Any ideas of what might have gone on here, the MOT dude was thorough as fuck, and rightly so, I don't want to be driving a dangerous vehicle. The MOT was carried out by the same garage.

[Edited on 07-04-2014 by Tiger]

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was it you that took it for the mot last year?
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No.
Brett
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you own the vehicle last year?
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at it, I think the bloke that tested the van on the last test was dodgy. He didn't list any advisories even though the ones that came up this time, were also on the MOT certificate for the year before last. Plus the coveniently lower mileage on the MOT certificate that was issued only a week before I bought it.

It doesnt make much difference to me mind you as i've had the van checked over by the bloke that does all the work on my beemer and he says there are no major problems with it (gearbox / engine / suspension / brakes etc). All the advisories will be done by May too.

Just makes you question your cars mileage, it must be piss easy to clock digital clocks nowadays, although the bloke I bought it off said it had had a replacement engine, so I wonder whether they swapped the clocks at the same time. I've got no paper evidence of a replacement engine but the results from the compression test don't show wear relative to a 200,000 mile block (according to the guy who works on my car, who I genuinely trust).
gazza808

7th Apr 14 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check it online see what's on there
Brett
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MOT's aren't very hard to doctor now. Should always get the details off the V5 and check out all past MOTs online.
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have done, it shows the higher mileage is the true mileage. It was clocked by 30,000 miles within 12 months up to me buying it.
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he had a donor vehicle for the engine that had 170,000 miles on it, he could have swapped the clocks from the same vehicle I suppose. I got the van at rock bottom price so he didn't gain anything by clocking it.

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does my head in finding out cars have been clocked .
Happens a lot more than I thought it would tbh. Customers always finding out on there mot's
Corsa_Sport21

7th Apr 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you questioned the garage about it?? That would be the most sensible option surely.

I went to view a car for a mate last week. It had work done in April 2013 with the mileage recorded at the time, then in June 2013 it was MOT'd, but had 5k less miles on it. Seller was unaware (was hard to spot it really) and never owned the car at the time.
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I say though, i'm not so fussed with this motor as they last forever anyway and having had it checked out, some work done already then once I get these advisories sorted, I know it'll be good as gold anyway.

I'd be well pissed though if it was a newish, good condition motor that i'd payed a lot for.

All the running gear is good in this van, the engine and box has been checked out and seems fine. My worst case scenario is a knackered engine and trans and I can get a second hand 120,000 mile engine and box fitted on an exchange basis for £850.
Corsa_Sport21

7th Apr 14 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens when you come to sell it though??
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Have you questioned the garage about it?? That would be the most sensible option surely.

I went to view a car for a mate last week. It had work done in April 2013 with the mileage recorded at the time, then in June 2013 it was MOT'd, but had 5k less miles on it. Seller was unaware (was hard to spot it really) and never owned the car at the time.

They'll protect their reputation and defend the tester though. they'll just say it was exactly as it was tested last year and that the information on the VOSA database must have been wrong. I dont actually know if the tester has the ability to change the mileage on the certificate anyway do they? But he could easily have taken a bung and passed it with no advisories to make it sell better.
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What happens when you come to sell it though??

I payed under the odds for it anyway, and it now has a full camping interior in it too which puts the value up. I'm not planning on selling it in the near future. I only do about 2-3000 mile a year in it. Like I said before, the van is mechanically fine so i'm not looking at any major repairs or failures.
Corsa_Sport21

7th Apr 14 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the only thing that might give you grief though, if and when you do come to sell it.
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly, but i'd be more concerned about the condition of it, especially when it comes to VW Campervans. Find me an older VW, like a bay window or split screen that has genuine mileage on it and i'll give you internet points. they're all on their 5th or 6th engines and the odometer only reflects how many miles the actual odometer has seen, not the engine, box or running gear.
baza31

7th Apr 14 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just mot it another 3 times and it will be off
Corsa_Sport21

7th Apr 14 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You seem very defensive for someone who dosn't see it as a concern.

jamied

7th Apr 14 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31

Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You seem very defensive for someone who dosn't see it as a concern.

I'm not concerned about this affecting the future value, I just didnt expect that i'd be a victim of buying a clocked vehicle. I'm just glad I got a good deal on it and that it doesnt have any inherent problems. Its also opened my eyes to dodgy MOT testers too, possibly 'overlooking' advisories for a bit of extra cash.
Tiger

7th Apr 14 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31

Off the certificate yeah, not off the VOSA online records
pow
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Possibly, but i'd be more concerned about the condition of it, especially when it comes to VW Campervans. Find me an older VW, like a bay window or split screen that has genuine mileage on it and i'll give you internet points. they're all on their 5th or 6th engines and the odometer only reflects how many miles the actual odometer has seen, not the engine, box or running gear.

Lol very true, my camper says 93k but I'd love to know how many miles it's really done on how many engines
pow
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus the clocks are held. In by 4 screws and a speedo cable haha
Jambo

7th Apr 14 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shit news dude. At least it's not going to cripple you financially and the vehicle is sound.

Always reminds me of (even though different) all the XE engines for sale that have all magically "only" done 80k

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT Mileage Discrepencies - Clocked 30,000 miles. 22 database queries in 0.0177610 seconds