corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What would you do? (Apprentice related)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What would you do? (Apprentice related)
Generation

User status: Offline
11th Apr 14 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in a job currently that I hate, but pays fairly decent. I've been trying to get into mechanics for a while, and have been offered an interview for the role. I don't have grades they requested (due to me never really going to school in final years. However, my Maths, English and Science which are the required grades for them are easily passable.

Would you risk them finding out?
Russ

11th Apr 14 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As an employer. Just be honest about it. It's probably sackable if you aren't
Generation

11th Apr 14 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I already had to lie in the online exams about the grades though. You can't apply otherwise.
Rob_Quads

11th Apr 14 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you saying "Should I lie on my CV"

If so then IMO. It will give them the amo they need to get rid of you when they find out.

If you don't have the grades get studying and get them as they are "easily passable"
James

11th Apr 14 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's easily passable, why don't you pay the exam fees and pass them.
Generation

11th Apr 14 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I meant by that was "it's believable I have the correct grades"
I've worked in a bank for almost 6 years now, so it's pretty believable I have those grades. In relation to doing the exams, the interview is too close for that. When I applied I didn't expect to be chosen, and was seeing if the options were there for me.

[Edited on 11-04-2014 by Generation]
Cavey

11th Apr 14 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell them in the interview that you had to embellish the truth as you believe you have the required skills to excel in the role offered, while you made mistakes in your past which is the reason you didnt get the grades in school etc...

If the only way of getting to the interview to show them you have the ability to succeed in the job then fair enough, it may go against you, but at least they'll have the chance to see you instead of writing you off straight away
Dan
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lie away. If they are serious about the results they would have you sit tests to check you haven't lost them skills. Of you pass them you deserve the job as much as anyone

Grades ain't worth a wank in this trade. If you can do the job and are keen it's far better than an a* student with no motivation or interest in the job

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
John

11th Apr 14 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Outside of not even managing to get some exams at school, you'll regret being an apprentice mechanic.

Liking working on your own car isn't the same as doing oil changes for years on low pay.
garethestate

11th Apr 14 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just keep on lying. You've got this far and if you tell them they'll have you out the door like a shot. There's no way they'll find out once you've got the job.
Ive been lying about my GCSEs since i left school in 1995 and no ones ever checked.
Generation

11th Apr 14 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mixed opinions.

I've heard the "it's not the same as working on your own car" before. I get that, but I can't go through my life wondering either.
sc0ott

11th Apr 14 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How old are you
Generation

11th Apr 14 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben G

11th Apr 14 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apprentice mechanic at 26? Would rather stay in the bank and try and work my way up.
Generation

11th Apr 14 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This isn't a thread about my choices lol. If you knew the bank and not just what's on tv you'd probably agree with me.
My mrs is assistant manager of a Central London branch now, and only gets about 3k more, and stays late most days and has all the other shit to out up with.
fred7

11th Apr 14 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lied on my app form to do my apprenticeship 10 years ago not once did anyone mention it and for any job ive ever had has anyone ever asked about my grade which i dont put on my cv. Its not as if your going for a job where its important. Go for it and good luck as well been an apprentice at 18 was shit let alone 26!

[Edited on 11-04-2014 by fred7]
Ben G

11th Apr 14 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but I bet she has a fancy job title which she can impress people with.
Generation

11th Apr 14 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't need to impress people, I just want to enjoy what I'm doing. If my life gets to a stage where I need to impress my friends, fuck that.
Aaron

11th Apr 14 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never lied, apart from just now.
Gary
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lie. I never even picked up my gcse certs and they're in a different name anyway.
gazza808

11th Apr 14 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, when going for my apprenticeship I openly admitted on my cv etc that I didn't have the grades I needed in English, they liked me and tbh english doesn't have much place in my trade like maths and sciences,

Just meant at college I had to do extra lessons in key skills english,

Also now you can quite cheaply (maybe even free still) and easily re do you gcse's now, if you think it's something that will help you if it doesn't work out going for this job.
Ben G

11th Apr 14 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
I don't need to impress people, I just want to enjoy what I'm doing. If my life gets to a stage where I need to impress my friends, fuck that.

But you want more money? 3k a year more is pretty good.

I'm currently getting 4k a year more for doing less work but more responsibility. Can't say i've regretted it tbh.
nibnob21
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But he said that 3k is for more responsibility AND more work. Seems like a low rise to me.

MX5 Project Thread
John

11th Apr 14 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
English, they liked me and tbh english doesn't have much place in my trade like maths and sciences,

This is the completely wrong way to look at it. I thought that when I was younger, I don't need X subject because I'll never need that etc. I haven't ever needed to critically review a novel in real life, I do however have a need to interact with people on a daily basis, where English skills matter. I've never had to use advanced mathematics in real life without having access to a computer but the concepts I do use.

For most lower level stuff (specific jobs you might actually need proficiency in whatever exact subject) they want to know you managed to turn up to school sometimes and passed at least some exams. Considering how easy it is for everyone to get an 'A' these days, if you haven't reached the very low level they are asking for, there will be lots of other people waiting in line who do.

Liking you is lucky, being confident you have basic skills and English and Maths (sciences should hold equal standing as those 2 imo) is a better way to go about it.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't become a mechanic. Bad bad choice. I know you may of heard it before but it's not a good or easy job

You say above about yor mrs working all hours for shite pay
That's what being a mechanic is... But even worse pay.
And yes you may of heard it before but it's not like working on for own car atall

I used to spend most weekends working on my car or my mates cars at home on my back. Now i can quite safely say I hate working on cars...

[Edited on 11-04-2014 by FlaFFy_91]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What would you do? (Apprentice related) 23 database queries in 0.0153658 seconds