corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Washing Cars

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Washing Cars
James

User status: Offline
14th Apr 14 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is going sound ridiculous, but how do you wash your car?

I've always paid for it to be washed at a handwash place, but would like to start cleaning it myself.

I've always just used a bucket, sponge and fairy liquid

I don't want to go to ridiculous levels like they do on detailing world. Just a quick wash.

What products do you recommend and any other tips?

I also need to clean a soft top, so I'll need something for that too.

Thanks!

Brett
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For starters proper car wash stuff, not fairy liquid

For a simple wash... Hose it down, wash it by hand, hose it again then dry it off.

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by Brett]
tom130691
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

auto glym shit from halfords
fred7

14th Apr 14 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Auto glym shit? I like there stuff sensible price and good products imo. As brett said tho is easiest way i perfer to start on the roof so the shit runs down the car.
Ben G

14th Apr 14 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread is going to go proper geek soon.

People arguing about the carnauba content in waxes and trying to justify spending thousands on products that smell nice.

You basically jeed a bucket, sponge/washmitt, shampoo and some cloths to dry the car off. Some quick detailer makes drying easier and a brush for the wheels makes things easier. All stuff that can be bought in supermarkets or halfords.

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by Ben G]
James

14th Apr 14 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't you need 2 buckets?
Ben G

14th Apr 14 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only if you want to be a bumhole.

Used 2 buckets on mine at the start, then went to one as can't be bothered.
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The AG range is pretty good, though their shampoo seems crap. Doesn't foam up much and doesn't feel like your mitt/sponge/whatever is particularly lubricated.

I'd start with two buckets (one to rinse your mitt in, one for the soapy water), some shampoo (dodo juice born to be mild is my favourite), and a bottle of quick detailer. (Helps remove water stains etc after drying.)

That's pretty much my "quick wash" routine, but every couple of months mine is polished and protected... That's another shopping list completely.

Wheels don't need anything special if you keep on top of them, just a brush and some shampoo water. Bilberry is a good shout if you're struggling though. Not sure on the soft top.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
James

14th Apr 14 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Kyle - that's a great help.

How long do car cleaning products last? Do they go bad after a certain period of time?

I have a load of AG stuff at mum's place, but it's probably over 4 years old.
Generation

14th Apr 14 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got to use two buckets or you're just wiping dirt back over the car. Ben you probably notice less as you have a silver car, dark colours will show swirls everywhere. Although damage has probably been done anyway if he's been nursing washing up liquid.

So It kind of depends what he wants now, to correct what he's done or not. Otherwise may aswell just carry on as he has been
James

14th Apr 14 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Washing up liquid was on the last Corsa I had which was about 7 years ago

I haven't washed a car myself since
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Thanks Kyle - that's a great help.

How long do car cleaning products last? Do they go bad after a certain period of time?

I have a load of AG stuff at mum's place, but it's probably over 4 years old.

I've had stuff go "bad" over winter before but that's probably just constant refreezing in the shed

Best cleaning product I ever bought was a good towel, so if you're going to spend out on just one product... Make it the towel!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Generation

14th Apr 14 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent mitt
Drying towel
Shampoo

You're takin about £40-£50 there alone.
Ben G

14th Apr 14 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Got to use two buckets or you're just wiping dirt back over the car. Ben you probably notice less as you have a silver car, dark colours will show swirls everywhere. Although damage has probably been done anyway if he's been nursing washing up liquid.

So It kind of depends what he wants now, to correct what he's done or not. Otherwise may aswell just carry on as he has been

Silver it's grey mate.
craig8
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or since you already said its for a quick was nothing fancy you can buy a couple of mits and drying towels for under 20 quid from asda/halfords etc

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by craig8]

E36 328
John

14th Apr 14 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of cheap washmitts, some microfibers, 2 buckets if you really have to and some collinite 476s is just about all you need.
Generation

14th Apr 14 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO you either care or you don't. Either is fine it's up to the owner.

If you're going to bother with mitts etc then buy deent branded ones that last and don't hold grit.
If you don't care just keep using washing up liquid
Fonz
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for soft top care you cant do better than Renovo, its what i use. i have the shampoo and also a water proofer...really easy to apply and use

fro washing the car....Turtlewax, 5l bucket and sponge. dry off with chamois, that will be fine
l88fty
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know lots about washing cars and I waste far to much money on cleaning and detailing products. However I'm also a hypocrite as I'll happily wash my Corsa and the wife's Corsa, then criticise anyone who uses hand car wash places - but I'll happily pay them to wash the company car!!

So what level of advice do you want? A simple wash, shampoo and rinse or a full 5 stage shabang!!

LN Customs - Lincolnshires Award Winning Enthusiasts Motoring Club
Web:lncustoms.co.uk Email: Lofty (Club Manager) Tel: 07876220929
craig8
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
IMO you either care or you don't. Either is fine it's up to the owner.

If you're going to bother with mitts etc then buy deent branded ones that last and don't hold grit.
If you don't care just keep using washing up liquid

So you're saying either go whole hog and spend as much as you can or don't bother and just use fairy liquid, there's no happy medium?

For the likes of a wash mit, in the hands of someone who just wants to do a normal no frills wash, a £5 mit from halfords is going to do pretty much the same job as a 25 quid mit made from the back hair of an afghan orphan.

E36 328
Generation

14th Apr 14 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It won't though, a happy medium I think he may aswell just use a sponge as a cheap wash mitt (especially after few uses) will end up acting same as a sponge does.
pow
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Autogylm car shampoo is the dogs, I buy a big one every 8-9 months as I do all the cars at home with it
tom130691
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Autogylm car shampoo is the dogs, I buy a big one every 8-9 months as I do all the cars at home with it

smells good too
Golem

14th Apr 14 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You definitely want to get some proper car wash liquids mate
craig8
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It won't though, a happy medium I think he may aswell just use a sponge as a cheap wash mitt (especially after few uses) will end up acting same as a sponge does.

If they are taken care of they should last pretty well. I have cheap ones for doing wheels that are in better condition and older than expensive lambs wool ones that have only ever seen the top half of a snow foamed car. They both get rinsed out and washed after use.
If the OP wants to spend £50 on basics then fair enough, I've spent more than that myself but my point is that you don't have to spend that kind of money if you want simple products that still work well and last. Saying that you would be as well just using a sponge and fairy liquid is IMO wrong

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by craig8]

E36 328

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Washing Cars 23 database queries in 0.0161829 seconds