corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Ways to build credit rating

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ways to build credit rating
Minty_Fresh

User status: Offline
31st Jul 14 at 06:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately me and my fiancé had a credit search cause a fail in a mortage meeting yesterday.

He couldn't show who or what has caused it, I have done a credit check and it was caused by me.

I have a excellent rating but failed due to never having credit, so because I have managed my money very well I'm being punished because I have never borrowed money :/

He recommended a credit card, ie for fuel or a purchase (that we would have made regardless).

I'm not clued up on credit cards etc onbviously from the above, which would people recommend that would be best suited?

Thank you in advance.
johnny86
Premium Member

31st Jul 14 at 06:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get one from your bank with a 500 limit use and pay for a few months should help
spencer88

31st Jul 14 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Johnny says.

Get a card, use it for your everyday purchases.
The money you would use, put aside and use it to pay off your card when you receive the monthly statement.

This way you get no interest charged, you are no way out of pocket but you buidl your credit rating.

You could even get a cashback card which rewards you for spending, and as such earn money from this
RichR
Premium Member

31st Jul 14 at 07:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Opt for a card with fringe benefits like the Santander 1-2-3 card and so long as you're paying the balance off in full each month before interest is accrued, you can make the card effectively earn you money. My better half use her's for all car related purchases only and receives 3% cash back on fuel, not much but more than without the card.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

31st Jul 14 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the same situation at the moment. Saving for a house but I've got no credit rating atall. Never even been overdrawn in my bank account.
So. Applied for a credit card with my bank. Get it through next week hopefully. And I'm going to do the exact same thing
Just use it on everyday stuff I would of bought anyway and pay it off at the end of the month.
Although strangely enough even though it's my first card and I have no credit what so ever I have a £2400 limit on it...
Marc

31st Jul 14 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said. Your issuing bank will almost always give you a card. A thrid party provider will be as reluctant as your mortgage broker.
Twitch

31st Jul 14 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a credit card. then cut it up and not use it. you dont need to use it to increase your credit just own one . ( source my dad is a banker )
GB123
Premium Member

31st Jul 14 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not the case any more unfortunately.
Cole

31st Jul 14 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 yrs ago I had no credit couldn't even get a bank account it was that bad have had ccjs etc. managed to get an account with natwest finally after 6 months got a credit card with them after doing a free credit check saying it was the best chance of getting one with my bank. 18months later after using it for all my everyday purchases I had a pretty muxh perfect score got accepted for a mortgage which I would of never thought possible 3 yrs ago
Generation

31st Jul 14 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cutting up is no good.

Source me, also work in a bank.
Aaron

31st Jul 14 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As others have said, having a credit card for every-day use is the way to go. Just be sure to pay it off in full at the end of every month.

Another bonus is that if you get the right credit card, you'll be able to rack up points. I didn't realise it was happening, but i was alerted to the fact that i had something silly like 15000 points on my Natwest credit card last Christmas...which translated to about £90 of Amazon vouchers.
Cole

31st Jul 14 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
As others have said, having a credit card for every-day use is the way to go. Just be sure to pay it off in full at the end of every month.

Another bonus is that if you get the right credit card, you'll be able to rack up points. I didn't realise it was happening, but i was alerted to the fact that i had something silly like 15000 points on my Natwest credit card last Christmas...which translated to about £90 of Amazon vouchers.

ah the good old your points card same one I got and have done the same
Generation

31st Jul 14 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tesco credit cards is where I went, some good deals and club card points too.

As said, just pay off In full, and all is golden
Minty_Fresh

31st Jul 14 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies

How long does it take to build credit rating (mines 974 - excellent) to be able to be accepted for a mortage.

As said above my rating shows it's excellent just it's marked red where I have never had credit so they can't judge me on this.
Twitch

31st Jul 14 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you never had a contract phone? That should count as a creadit? Or car insurance paid monthly.

Only reason i say to cut up a creadit card as its what my dad told me to do this year as im also looking into a mortgage. He works very high up for one of the top banks so i do trust his judgement. Although too much golf and whine with customers may of caused him to loose track of things haha
ed

1st Aug 14 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rating you see on any of the website you visit to check the file is just a made up figure. Lenders don't go onto Noddle and give you a mortgage because because you've got a 4/5 rating.

They're interested in your history of managing debt and payments. Most the things I've read have said that using a credit card for at least 6 months is a good place to start if you've never had any credit before, buy your petrol once a week and pay it off every month or something. As Twitch has said though, phone contracts, car insurance and other things you may have already had will give you history.

[Edited on 01-08-2014 by ed]
tom130691
Premium Member

1st Aug 14 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Minty_Fresh
Thanks for the replies

How long does it take to build credit rating (mines 974 - excellent) to be able to be accepted for a mortage.

As said above my rating shows it's excellent just it's marked red where I have never had credit so they can't judge me on this.

think ive turned mine around in 5months of leaving uni, by clearing my credit card overdraft then dipping back in to them,

got a credit rating one from the top? while 1k in to my overdraft
MatthewR

1st Aug 14 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Setting up direct debits helps i found also as opposed to just ringing up and paying off chunks. It also means you'll never miss a payment which can effect your credit rating
3CorsaMeal

1st Aug 14 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send me £100 a week. Source: Me, I am from the internet.
gav93

2nd Aug 14 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Send me £100 a week. Source: Me, I am from the internet.

this threads interesting to read as im only 21 but obviously have the dream to own my own house or flat, so I best start thinking about getting a credit card some time this year t build my rating up over time

deano87

2nd Aug 14 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read somewhere that paying off your balance in full isn't always best, as the credit card company earns no money out of you.

As said, get a credit card and use sensibly. Get a phone in contract, pay for it monthly etc. But don't go mad like getting a car on finance, as whilst it might boost your credit rating it will affect your affordability rating.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

3rd Aug 14 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do people not know this by now, and get so far without them.

I used to buy my car insurance on a credit card and pay off over a few months. Interest was much lower than the insurance companies charge.

You should really buy certain things using a credit card to take advantage of the protection also.

Phone contracts etc are good for this too.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Minty_Fresh

5th Aug 14 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking at credit cards etc

More benefits and longer 0% period will make it a even slimmer chance of me being successful

But who does a standard 12months 0% card these days, all seem to be 15-19months+ and transfer 0% :/

I'm worried that il apply and won't be accepted which will dent my already low credit rating.

I think I'm right in saying I need a 0% 12months on purchases as I want to make a purchase of £500 in one but also use it for fuel costs (I would pay the £500 off over say 5months) and keep the fuel outgoings on the card for the full 12months

[Edited on 05-08-2014 by Minty_Fresh]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 07:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a capital one first timer card. High APR but if your paying it off then you have no issues.
Pop

5th Aug 14 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get yourself in the electoral role if you aren't already

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Ways to build credit rating 23 database queries in 0.0148211 seconds