corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Jury Service

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Jury Service
deano87

User status: Offline
19th Aug 14 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I start tomorrow for 10 days at Luton Crown Court. Joy of joys.

Anyone ever done it? Had mixed stories of only being there a few days to being on the same case for 2 weeks.

Emailed a contact at work and he said "I don't envy you. I spent 2 weeks on a rather disturbing case about a Scout Leader and his boys...!"

I'm also a bit squeamish so hope I don't get a rancid murder case.

Also hope my IBS doesn't play up. Don't fancy stopping court because I need a pooh

Dom

19th Aug 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luton? Wouldn't wish that upon anyone
Cavey

19th Aug 14 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate did it and had a Paedo and a moronic theif. Think he had a week on each
deano87

19th Aug 14 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've loaded up my tablet with music and videos. Fingers crossed I can use it whilst waiting. If I read stuff I just fall asleep
Lee_fr200

19th Aug 14 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd happily do it tbh
johnny86
Premium Member

19th Aug 14 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sod that so glad I will never be doing that
Cole

19th Aug 14 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will be able to watch films etc whilst waiting plus there is no guarantee that you will even get on a case you may just get released after a few days. pray you don't get a murder case as you will be on for more than 2 weeks when I done it there was a jury that had been in for 6 weeks and were expecting at least another 2
Welly Wanger

20th Aug 14 at 02:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done it a few years ago, boring as shit. I had two lezbo's who stole a lot of money from her mothers fella. He said he would pimp them out or kill them unless he got his £20K + back. In my eyes the girls were at fault not the man on trial. He went down non the less.
BarnshaW

20th Aug 14 at 06:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done it couple years back, actually enjoyed it when you got on a case, was boring waiting around and in between, quite often travelled an hour to get there only to be told they didnt need you and you could go home.

Enjoyed the arguments our jury had after a case in trying to reach an agreement, 12 people all trying to convince eachother that they are right and to see their point, was amusing.

Good to do as a one off and get the experience I reckon, if you get on a realy juicy case (some of people in my group had to go Crown Court for 6 weeks) you can make some money out of it too
Marc

20th Aug 14 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done it. Loved it actually. Was nervouse the night before as I didn't know what to expect or if I might know the accused!

I sat on two cases over a 2 week period. Thankfully nothing too diosturbing. Just a GBH charge and an attempted burglary. A lot of waiting around and the judge was insistant on us all reaching the same decision which surely goes against the point of a jury!

Amazing how they can gather such an ecectic mix of 16 people together.
deano87

20th Aug 14 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was released until 2pm as any cases we'd be on won't start until then.

Bored.com
Y869 SRA

20th Aug 14 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86
Sod that so glad I will never be doing that
Marc

20th Aug 14 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87

Bored.com

Can be a bit crap as you are there on your own and probably aren't going to wander off with a load of people you only met a few hours earlier!
deano87

20th Aug 14 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I got home at 4pm. Left at 3.20pm. Jury in Waiting for a case. So thats me and 17 others. 12 get chosen at random. Might not even make a case tomorrow. Fingers crossed that keeps happening and I'm done with early next week.
deano87

20th Aug 14 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by deano87

Bored.com

Can be a bit crap as you are there on your own and probably aren't going to wander off with a load of people you only met a few hours earlier!

I managed to pass the time by ringing all our utilities, mortgage etc to get our direct debit moved to our joint bank account
Ben G

20th Aug 14 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens with regards to getting paid? Does your employer pay you as Normal or do you have to claim everything back?

I do shift work and have heard that I would lose my shift rate and so wouldn't get my full pay if i had to do jury service.

I've also heard they only pay you up to a certain amount. Say you earn £150 a day pre tax, they only pay £100 or so pre tax?
deano87

20th Aug 14 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is bit of a cunt with regards to expenses etc.

They only pay up to about £64/day for loss of earnings. That is the max, so if you earn more you're out of pocket. If you are kept over 10 days, this doubles. You ONLY get paid this if your employer willl not pay you in full whilst there.

Then you are expected to use public transport to get there, for which they will reimburse in full.

You can drive if you so wish for 31p/mile each way. You can only claim back parking if you 1) Are pre-authorised to do so 2) where you live is not on a public transport link. Then, certainly at Luton, the only pay a maximum £5/day parking. Only 2 car parks in Luton, one with just 30 spaces, are £5 for a full day.

Then you get a Subsistence Allowance (food basically) of £5.31/day, which I believe doesn't need to be receipted.

Essentially, most people will be out of pocket whilst doing Jury Service.

I will just about be up because of the mileage and subsistence. My commute is 18miles each way where as the court is 25miles, so not much difference petrol wise BUT I get paid for the lot. Also time in court technically includes your driving, which for me is 90 minutes round trip.

What is annoying, people on benefits/not working still get renumerated. So they got 2 lots of monies from the government for getting off their arse, then sitting on it for 10 days!

[Edited on 20-08-2014 by deano87]
deano87

20th Aug 14 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.S. not required in court tomorrow, so back to work then ring at 4.30pm to see if I am required Friday.

I reckon they have new jurors on a Monday and Wednesday. If existing cases go on through Friday, fingers crossed that is me done, although the Bank Holiday might balls things up.
Ben G

20th Aug 14 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be well out of pocket and pretty much fucked then if my employer doesn't pay. Will have to enquire about that. Cheers Deano.
deano87

20th Aug 14 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only benefit is that they can't sack you for doing it or stop you from returning to work.

Illegal to not go and illegal to not allow you to go.

Most people today said that their employer was just docking their wages of what allowance they get for Jury Service (excluding the kileage, subsistence etc)

Any allowance is based on your net pay, not gross.

[Edited on 20-08-2014 by deano87]
pow
Premium Member

20th Aug 14 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

School would pay me in full - mainly because I'd probably make up for the hours lost in the day by working at night
GB123
Premium Member

20th Aug 14 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'd rather do it than go to work tbh
taylorboosh

20th Aug 14 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me too
BarnshaW

20th Aug 14 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you get asked to do it then you should do it, my work wouldnt pay for me so i had to claim mine back, felt I done my bit for the community, was out of pocket for it but as said even for the overall experience alone it was very good to see how it all works.
deano87

20th Aug 14 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
School would pay me in full - mainly because I'd probably make up for the hours lost in the day by working at night

Doubt it. The emotional roller coaster (if you're a nervous wreck like me) means it is quite draining. I've never been so tired after sitting about all day!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Jury Service 22 database queries in 0.0129671 seconds