corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What to do with troublesome dog.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What to do with troublesome dog.
Stuart H

User status: Offline
18th Dec 14 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking for an opinion here on what to do with our 11 month old spaniel.
We have a baby due in just over 3 weeks and recently the dog has become aggressive and possessive with anything that's Lying around.
He usually goes upto our room and sleeps when he wants some piece and quiet which was /is fine but recently he started growling / barking and has twice bitten me now when we go upstairs and try to move him. 2 seconds later he realises what he has done and is full of licks , it's always like this.

The mrs basically has her mind made up to get rid of him although I know it could be fixed with time and some work. He just had an operation on his left hip last Friday. He has another one to get maybe April next year. This leaves me with a problem if I put him into a kennel as they will most likely destroy him.

I feel that it would be dangerous/stupid to keep the dog with the baby due so soon. Problem is what to do with him? Put him to sleep sounds easiest as I don't want anyone else being bitten.

What would you do?!
Jimbothebarbarian

18th Dec 14 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The dog isn't stupid and "knows" something is happening. Have a look in your area for dog trainers/whisperer. Also speak to your vet about your concerns as you're not the first or last to have this.

Lastly round here if you did need to rehome him there are people who take in older dogs or terminally ill dogs so they can live out what's left of life in a kid free home.
Stuart H

18th Dec 14 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say he's terminally ill it's £1000 a side to put his hips right. He's at the vet Monday for a check up will see what they think when I'm there.
Bart

18th Dec 14 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to work on re-homing him asap in my opinion.
Yes it's down to training and that will take time, but time you don't have.
You can't take any risks with having a new born baby around.

Just my 2 pence
3CorsaMeal

18th Dec 14 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Badly raised imo. I blame the owners.
3CorsaMeal

18th Dec 14 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eat it for xmas imo.
Stuart H

18th Dec 14 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was waiting for that. It may be our fault but he used to be fine when upstairs something all of a suddenly changed with him. I really don't want to have to get rid of him or put him to sleep. Need to decide soon what to do
Dom

18th Dec 14 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart H
It may be our fault....

It's definitely your fault and i suspect he believes he's 'boss' rather than you/missus A bit of 'tough love', assertion and some strict rules will be probably sort it but you're not going doing it in three weeks.

Either way if you want to get rid then the kennel will be the quickest option as it's unlikely you'll get him re-homed within a few weeks.
--ToM--

18th Dec 14 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck it off! Allthough 11months is enough time to have a bond it's not like the dogs been in the family for years just get rid of it let the kennels do what they want with it , the baby is number one priority you cannot risk anything happening due to a "jealous" dog your back only has to be turned a second for it to happen.

My first child is due in February, gave the dogs to my mum don't want them around just incase, I'll get another when the baby's 3-4 years old and the dog will be a pup so can grow up knowing the baby's part of the family not something that is replacing it.
Jimbothebarbarian

18th Dec 14 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The dog has just had a big operation and is more than likely in some pain and will be a bit defensive. Talk to your vet about better pain relief.

Of course to fit in with the big bawls on here you better take the mutt outside and beat it to death with you bare hands, like a real mans man.
Dom

18th Dec 14 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
Of course to fit in with the big bawls on here you better take the mutt outside and beat it to death with you bare hands, like a real mans man.

I don't believe anyone has suggested to carry out animal cruelty in this thread
--ToM--

18th Dec 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If my dog had bitten me twice for trying to get it out of a room and I had a new born due I wouldn't have to even put this thread up for other opinions on what to do, the dog would be gone. Not worth the chance.

My dogs are both daft as a brush but still gone to my mums as again it isn't worth the risk, don't want them sniffing and jumping all over the baby etc and being general pains in the ass due to lack of attention.
Stuart H

18th Dec 14 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The dog has just had a big operation and is more than likely in some pain and will be a bit defensive. Talk to your vet about better pain relief.

He started it before the operation but he was in pain then as well. He's on tramadol for pain relief the now. Don't want to get rid of him but putting baby first he has to go I think. Don't want to see him stuck in a kennel that's the only thing. I know it can be fixed but as said already 3 weeks isn't enough time. He's extremely hard work always wants attention , plus he hasn't been out a walk in 2 weeks because of the operation that won't help. Don't know what to do
John

18th Dec 14 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it unlucky that such a young dog has bad hips or did you just buy a random dog with no research or hip scoring of the parents?

Not the dogs fault it's got bad hips but definitely your fault if no research done before hand.

I couldn't bring myself to get rid unless it was actually aggressive, but if you've not got the time or the inclination to put into it, it's better it goes elsewhere.
johnny86
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take him out the woods and leave him. Simple.
Lee_fr200

18th Dec 14 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had a German shepherd that had the run of the house and we thought our impending baby would cause a lot of hassle, we bought a dog cage and we also put baby gates up so he could no longer go upstairs after a few months he was a different dog saying that though 5month after he was ok he got brain cancer and died was only 3yr old

As for the biting don't stand for it, give the animal a belt or put it in a cage it will soon learn! The reason its doing that is it thinks its the boss n you need to show it isnt, I don't agree with putting the dog down there's always a workable solution
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 22:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lee_fr200As for the biting don't stand for it, give the animal a belt or put it in a cage it will soon learn! The reason its doing that is it thinks its the boss n you need to show it isnt,

Completely wrong.

Dogs bite or show aggression when they feel threatened. Hurting them and attacking them will only instill more fear into them and make them more likely to attack.

Understanding what the trigger is for them feeling threatened in the first place and using positive reinforcement training is how you should go about changing the dog's behaviour. It has absolutely nothing to do with the dog 'thinking it's boss'.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't encourage others to beat a dog.

MX5 Project Thread
Jimbothebarbarian

18th Dec 14 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
quote:
Originally posted by Lee_fr200As for the biting don't stand for it, give the animal a belt or put it in a cage it will soon learn! The reason its doing that is it thinks its the boss n you need to show it isnt,

Completely wrong.

Dogs bite or show aggression when they feel threatened. Hurting them and attacking them will only instill more fear into them and make them more likely to attack.

Understanding what the trigger is for them feeling threatened in the first place and using positive reinforcement training is how you should go about changing the dog's behaviour. It has absolutely nothing to do with the dog 'thinking it's boss'.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't encourage others to beat a dog.

Fuck me! A sensible reply for once...
Generation

18th Dec 14 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Hit the nail on the head. Perfect reply
taylorboosh

18th Dec 14 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt just fuck the dog off...

It wont have to be trained instantly - keep it seperate from the bairn - and never leave it alone ever regardless
ShEp

18th Dec 14 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spaniels need a tough hand when training.

Bitches are far easier going, male dogs are a lot more difficult to train and if left too long become a lost cause.

My dads trained 4 or 5 spaniels, you have to be tough with them,
Andrew

19th Dec 14 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a big dog lover but i'm sad to say it, you have to let the dog go. You cannot have a grumpy dog around a new born baby.

Of course speak with you vet to begin with to find out if it is in any pain.
Jason x
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 00:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re-home it and cover the costs of operation for new owner? (If no one will take it otherwise).

I wouldn't be able to just kill the dog.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 01:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know much about dogs but you would have to be 100% on it to have it in the house with a kid around.

As its so young won't a RSPCA shelter take it and re home etc? Spaniels are quite nice.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 02:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SHAG IT

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What to do with troublesome dog. 23 database queries in 0.0139248 seconds