corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What is it with kids today?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What is it with kids today?
Tiger

User status: Offline
20th Feb 15 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of my 4 apprentices, one of them has weeks off at a time with depression and one has now got 2 weeks off with stress and anxiety!

They have cushty lives, I don't work then particularly hard, they have plenty of money, decent family lives and good social lives.

I just don't get it!

[Edited on 20-02-2015 by Tiger]
DaveyLC

20th Feb 15 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know what I don't get.. All of these lads who work out, grow a beard and get covered in tattoos so they end up looking hard as nails but they are all complete and utter useless faggots scared of spiders and dirty fingernails.
Tiger

20th Feb 15 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup there's that as well!
Gary
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Soft cunts they are. Wrapped in cotton wool from been at school. I left school, went to an apprenticeship and got some right stick. Made me man up.

Not allowed to bully apprentices any more though apparently. Which is shite cos that's what makes you grow up
Bart

20th Feb 15 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agreed Gary.

I also think theres a different mind set with the newer generation, as kids we used to be out all day till tea time, making bases and lighting fires in the woods, playing football and riding our bikes in abandoned places.

I think the majority of kids these days are living a more secluded digital/online lifestyle.
nibnob21
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Bart has got it right.

I don't think kids are allowed to be 'kids' enough. Social media etc is making them 'grow up' (if you can call it that) far too quickly.

Tell them to get outside on a bike, eat some mud, build a tree house and go camping. That's what they need; an appreciation of actually having fun as opposed to being suffocated by their phones.

Slightly ironic saying that while sitting at home on a computer speaking to people I've never met

MX5 Project Thread
Aaron

20th Feb 15 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ This.

I've worked in secondary schools since i was 17 years old (i'm now 31). The majority of the students i see today are exactly as Bart just explained.

A student from a school i was working at late last year topped himself by jumping off the Humber Bridge, partly due to the anxiety of not being popular enough on Facebook (his posts weren't getting enough likes)

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/tragedy-words-Parents-tribute-Hull-boy-William/story-25895517-detail/story.html
Marc

20th Feb 15 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of things -

I did an apprenticeship and until the next apprentice started and I then started welding my own work pretty much no one talked to me or made me welcome. To a degree I think apprentices should expect some mickey taking and be the brunt of some jokes but should also be given a bit of respect and the help needed to learn the job.

Having said that about the first bit, I now work in an office and the experience definitely made me the person I am today - The sense of humour, being easy going etc.

Secondly, the amount of people I have worked with over the years that have time off for the slightest of colds, sore throats etc is a piss take. I must have a conscience as over the last 10 years I have been off on 1 occasion for 4 days.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it's all a load of shite to be honest. Back when I was a kid (and I'm only 23) kids didn't have "anxiety" or what ever else.
Personally I find it all an excuse to act like a fucking pansy and get off work.
Bart hit the nail on the head there. Should hear the abuse that flys around work (any of you that have worked as a a mechanic will understand that) and everyone of us just passes it off and gives it back.
Then this one new apprentice actually complained about it all. Even though to be fair it is hardly ever aimed at him. Says it's a "negative place to work" got us all a bollocking.
Little shit.
All this political correctness isn't exactly helping things either.
GB123
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91

In what way?
Marc

20th Feb 15 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The work place banter?
GB123
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see how political correctness has any effect on workplace banter
Dan
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was once an apprentice and took a lot of flak and abuse from the elders. But I learnt a lot from them and gained there respect. Some however never showed me any and said I was useless lazy etc.

However I'm now in a better industry as a supervisor to over 35 guys. Some of whom are those who said I was lazy and useless....

But now I'm the boss for the apprentices so to speak, I cannot believe how useless they are. I wouldn't have ever dreamt of turning up late or standing around with hands in pockets.

I have one who every single day, I say to him, can you empty all the bins, if you do it for a few days without being asked I'll get one of the others to start doing them. Every single day I have to put fucks into him to get him to do it. Complete laziness and clearly spoilt as a kid at home.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
quote:

In what way?

The fact in school your not allowed to use the words black board or white board any more for example. It's turning into a nanny state nower days. Turning kids soft while in school

[Edited on 20-02-2015 by FlaFFy_91]
GB123
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The fact in school your not allowed to use the words black board or white board any more for example.

Fucking , what have you been reading, extra helpings of the daily mail?

Utter bullshit, of course you can say white/black board

I can't believe somebody could genuinely think it was the case that you can't.
Bart

20th Feb 15 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be fair, blackboards are the minorities
GB123
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also regarding schools: I'd be a lot more concerned that somebody could leave at 16 and think that 'nower days' is correct, rather than, 'political correctness gone mad init!!!11'
Tiger

20th Feb 15 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had to give a few verbals out for the apprentices not being able to leave their phones alone to look at Facebook every 2 minutes. There are more warnings given at work for viewing Facebook than any other case. I can see how addictive Facebook is for people as I used to use it but no longer do, it's like looking from the outside in.
Dave

20th Feb 15 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a load of shite!

Guess what, when I was serving my time there were some really useless lazy dossers. Likewise we'd get some apprentices in with terrible attitudes. What matters is how you are raised or sometimes just how you are, not the generation you were born in.

Some of the laziest, stupidest moany gits on my site now are the oldest ones there, likewise I have some young lads who put a real shift in every day.

Marc

20th Feb 15 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Especially when Parking Wars was all the rage
p

20th Feb 15 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were documents provided by the doctor to confirm?

Having/had problems like that myself it's no laughing matter, assuming it's legitimate. Obviously there are numerous caveats, mind.

[Edited on 20-02-2015 by p]
Marc

20th Feb 15 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started my apprenticeship just before my 18th birthday. All the ones after me were 16 and straight from school. They either didn't turn up, left after a few months or were just gobby little shits who again left after a few months. Years later in another job we had apprentices who just stood around talking, messing with their phones or just generally tossing it off. So going back to the thread title I think thats probably what it is! I'm sure there are loads that want to get on but so many that just take the piss.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
The fact in school your not allowed to use the words black board or white board any more for example.

Fucking , what have you been reading, extra helpings of the daily mail?

Utter bullshit, of course you can say white/black board

I can't believe somebody could genuinely think it was the case that you can't.

Wernt allowed to call them that by the time I left high school.
Suppost to call them interactive boards, chalk boards and pen boards.

quote:
Also regarding schools: I'd be a lot more concerned that somebody could leave at 16 and think that 'nower days' is correct, rather than, 'political correctness gone mad init!!!11'

Don't remember using the word "innit" or any number 1's
I know that nower days isn't a correct term. But I use it in daily life, so I type it aswell. And as I've always said. I'm shite at Spelling, grammar and all that. Personally I don't need to use proper grammar or spelling in my line of work so it's not something I've ever wanted to or bothered to brush up on. I'd rather spend time learning stuff that relates to my job, general reprogramming units and value, recall procedures. So on so forth. And to be fair id say my English isn't that bad in comparison to a lot of people's now.
Itz nt lyk I typ lyk diz n sht innit blud
Russ

20th Feb 15 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem is too many people think they're more than a bunch of atoms clinging desperately to life one a shit piece of rock in an infinite vacuum of nothingness
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
20th Feb 15 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

That's a bit of a myth, anyone who works in education and isn't a fag just gets on with using whichever words they want.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What is it with kids today? 23 database queries in 0.0170670 seconds