corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » where do i stand? ( Car Body Shop's )

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author where do i stand? ( Car Body Shop's )
Mark.W

User status: Offline
27th Apr 15 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just went to pick a front bumper and splitter up from the bodyshop iv had painted and it's a mess,the bottom of the splitter has bowed out at the bottom from the heat in the oven which looks like where its been resting on the stand and the paint is cracking from where its bowed which im really pissed off about,he said he has tried putting it back in the oven with some tape on to try pull it back in but didn't work.

So i never brought it back with me and left it with him and he says he will give it one last try but isn't promising anything,he was blameing how many times it has been painted in the past and how old the plastic splitter is for the way its turned out and just started coming out with excuses saying im not Harry Potter and can't predict things like this will happen.

So where do i stand because im not going to pay for something im not happy with and can't use?

Could i just cut my losses and not bothering going back to pick it up or what when he calls me.
ShEp

27th Apr 15 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Refuse to accept it till it's 100%

If it's not 100% not sure what you can do regarding him damaging the splitter.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could it be anything to do with the fact you were trying to do this on the cheap as per the previous thread?

How much is he asking for the work? You usually pay for what you get with this stuff
Corsa_Sport21

27th Apr 15 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not strictly true that Steve.

I was quoted £160 for front bumper painted and some minor defects repaired. Said he could get a decent enough match on it etc. Removed from car etc and all hardware removed.

Other painter quoted £200, hit or miss paint match due to the previous paint job (I'd imagine that shouldn't have mattered), painted on the car with the rest masked off and baked naturally outside instead of in an oven.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say even the second one was cheap
Corsa_Sport21

27th Apr 15 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knowing who they both are and there reputation/time in the game, I was expecting the 2nd quote to be much cheaper.
ShEp

27th Apr 15 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was quoted £300 to get my front bumper painted due to being littered in stonechips.

Car was in getting Insurance repairs and this work was extra, so and Insurance approved garage, charging £300 for a bumper job.

I was expecting it to be good, but no, they didn't prep it whatsoever, just painted over the chips, it was a fucking disgrace and they melted my numberplate in the booth.

Didn't give them a penny as it turned out worse than what it was originally.
--ToM--

27th Apr 15 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get the lads who paint cars for my boss to do my work and then bill the boss, dunno how it'll pan out now I don't work for him any more, probably still tell them to hide it in one of his bills he's too think to notice anyway haha
baza31

27th Apr 15 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£300 for a front bumper painting Jesus someone's been fucked
Steve
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About the going rate for a decent bodyshop that doesnt operate out of a shed with halfords rattle cans
Steve
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And before you tell me you know x place that has done a job for 50 quid and its been mint, I've heard it all before, the amount of times i'v heard people say this, and it isn't actually even close to mint in the flesh

[Edited on 27-04-2015 by Steve]
Dee25790

27th Apr 15 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to see it when he rings you back if it still looks like shite walk away and tell him your not paying for it. Cut your losses at least then..

My dad and uncle are engineers and powder coaters and would never use such a flimsy excuse for something going wrong as the previous work. It can always be fixed.. If it was that bad in the first place he should of refused it.

I'd be tempted to ask for money to replace what he damaged

[Edited on 27-04-2015 by Dee25790]
--ToM--

27th Apr 15 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the previous paint was bad or too much on it he should have known better than to paint ontop of shit/badly applied product anyway

Sounds like a shit painter tbh
Corsa_Sport21

27th Apr 15 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
About the going rate for a decent bodyshop that doesnt operate out of a shed with halfords rattle cans

If the top dog painters up here charged £300 to paint a bumper, they would soon be closing their doors.
Ojc

27th Apr 15 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the bonnet done on the Mini recently, removed vinyl and sprayed £160 quid.

That was top notch job as well
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Apr 15 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't have to be a shit job just because its not hundreds of pounds. The excuse is pretty poor - surely all that would have been apparent before taking the job on?

I assume you supplied the panels? What would the cost be to source more and try with those?

[Edited on 27-04-2015 by Ian]
ShEp

27th Apr 15 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

If the top dog painters up here charged £300 to paint a bumper, they would soon be closing their doors.

I'm even further up, and that's what they charged me :Thumbs: Donald Mackenzie's/Corrie Motors
Corsa_Sport21

27th Apr 15 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a couple of guys around here who do a lot of the vag show cars etc with a long waiting list and they are more around the £180-£220 area for a bumper.
Jambo

27th Apr 15 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got quoted £200 to paint and fit Gsi bumper to mine from a cheap body shop.
--ToM--

27th Apr 15 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got quoted £300 to do my front bumper my back bumper my bootlid and boot spoiler and the rear diffuser black on the vxr that's by a top notch body shop too just did my ex bosses 355 front bumper and it was Bob on
Jambo

27th Apr 15 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think going by the advocates of normal prices being "extortionate" are the two who have paint problem threads on the same page are just a reminder that shiny paint isn't impossible and there's a reason things are cheap.

Tom I'm guessing that's someone you know in the trade, so aka a mate. Just like Taylor's 99p Inspection IIs because his mate who is an ex tech does 5hrs labour for a blojob and uses pattern oil filters etc does not mean it's the going rate lol.

taylorboosh

27th Apr 15 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or just like jambos £2k satin red respray
3CorsaMeal

27th Apr 15 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quality. Cheap. Quick. You can't have all three. Only two at the sacrifice of the third.
Corsa_Sport21

27th Apr 15 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was with the bodyshop for 3 days, and it wasn't cheap considering I was told friends etc paid less for the same sort of job from other places. The painter is also well known for putting out good jobs and when I went for the quote he showed me the sort of work he does and it was all high end Audi's etc.
Jambo

27th Apr 15 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Or just like jambos £2k satin red respray

Love that satin sheen

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » where do i stand? ( Car Body Shop's ) 22 database queries in 0.0211928 seconds