corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling

Poll: power vs handling
Power 38 (55.88%)
Handling 30 (44.12%)

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power vs handling
Adam_B

User status: Offline
18th Jul 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not.

Next please.
Ben G

18th Jul 12 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd like the track elitists to please look up the word highlighted below, in the dictionary.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
age old question, but which in your opinion is better?

sheer power or handling (this includes brakes), im sure i have seen a video where they show just what a difference handling mods make on a standard car around a track and it was quite substantial.

but which do you prefer?

take ak & fee for example, scooby can catch/go past the skyline in the corners however the straights come and its the skyline that pulls away.

now obiously a balance of both is best however if you could only have one which would you prefer? (not just track specific either, includes on a road car).
neil h

18th Jul 12 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i'd like one of the track elitists to tell me how handling is better than power when on a straight dual carriageway driving to work.

Surely that's irrelevant if you don't drive on dual carriageways to work.

Besides the max you can do is 70
Ben G

18th Jul 12 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
i'd like one of the track elitists to tell me how handling is better than power when on a straight dual carriageway driving to work.

Surely that's irrelevant if you don't drive on dual carriageways to work.

Besides the max you can do is 70

it's relevant to me.

it's still much better having power so you can get up to 70mph as soon as possible, or overtake slow people.

i had to drive an 82bhp fiesta on the same road for a year and it was a struggle compared to the z4. no need to drop down a gear just to overtake a lorry.

[Edited on 18-07-2012 by Ben G]
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lots of people getting waspy around here
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea its nice to have that feeling of power to put your foot down and off you swoosh, but personally for me the feeling of gripping at maximum lateral G is far superior and stringing together a couple of fast sweeping corners is aaaaah bliss.

chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by possy
what is the point of havin a car that handles if you dont have the power to pull your self out of a corner when you can get on to the straights other wise its poitntless

am i right or wrong or what

[Edited on 18-07-2012 by possy]

generally a better handling car will be able to carry more speed through a corner and this not need the extra power to compensate for the shit cornering. but add more power onto an already capable chassis and you have best of both worlds.

neil h

18th Jul 12 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
it's relevant to me.

it's still much better having power so you can get up to 70mph as soon as possible, or overtake slow people.

i had to drive an 82bhp fiesta on the same road for a year and it was a struggle compared to the z4. no need to drop down a gear just to overtake a lorry.

[Edited on 18-07-2012 by Ben G]

Having ran a 45bhp corsa for 12 months I know that pain That being said doing the same commute in an Astra VXR is no more exciting and the VXR has 5 times the power.
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ran a 1.0 micra for months so i know exactly what you mean.. but having such little power never took the fun away when i got to a b road.
Nic Barnes

18th Jul 12 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a 1.2 corsa and it was utter tripe. i now have 240bhp diesel and its way more fun down b roads.
Ben G

18th Jul 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you're lieing nic, no way, i don't believe it.
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably because the 240bhp diesel engine isnt in a corsa.. and is in something with a better chassis.
Nic Barnes

18th Jul 12 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOTS of corsa haters on a corsa website.
Ash_EP3

18th Jul 12 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the road: Power > Handling
On the track: Handling > Power

Whoever said karting is a level playing field is bollox... everytime I've been to different karting places the karts themselves seem to differ a fair bit from one another... for example the last place I went to I was the heaviest there by 6 stone and during round 1 I was .2 of a second off the quickest guy... round 2 in a different kart I was 1.5 secs off the quickest guy I hate being heavy

[Edited on 18-07-2012 by Ash_EP3]
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

i dont hate corsas.. i just know they handle shit.. sooner you come to realise this the better.
Adam_B

18th Jul 12 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like thats ever going to happen
possy

18th Jul 12 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
quote:
what is the point of havin a car that handles if you dont have the power to pull your self out of a corner when you can get on to the straights other wise its poitntless

am i right or wrong or what

[Edited on 18-07-2012 by possy]

generally a better handling car will be able to carry more speed through a corner and this not need the extra power to compensate for the shit cornering. but add more power onto an already capable chassis and you have best of both worlds.

what i was saying there is a 1.4 sport dont have enuf power to pull its self round a corner were as bigger power cars make use of having a quaif diff or any over make of diff so that when your coming out of a corner they can get straight onto the power whislt accelerating round the corner to get back onto full chat

and there is to many key board warriors in this post tooo
Nic Barnes

18th Jul 12 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i still enjoy driving mine. it handles pretty well for what it is. notice the for what it is part before ego's and experts pipe up with dribble like previous pages.
possy

18th Jul 12 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

i dont hate corsas.. i just know they handle shit.. sooner you come to realise this the better.

Its all about who sets your car up and what you want it to do i no my car handles well ask timc909 or col04 they have took mine out loads of times and loved it evertime and fir col to say somthing is good it must be
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right so the diff is part of the handling.. It handles the way the power is put down. Take away the diff and you will have a car wheel spinning all over.

You cant compare a higher powered car with fancy diffs to a 1.4 corsa its nit the point and your kinda stating the obvious.

Look at it this way.

1.4 corsa 90 bhp - uprated suspension, tyres and brakes (handling)

To a

2.0t corsa 250 bhp - fancy engine but standard everything else

Its really a simple equasion, you put as much power in as the chassis will handle if you want more power you make the chassis capable.
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 23:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i still enjoy driving mine. it handles pretty well for what it is. notice the for what it is part before ego's and experts pipe up with dribble like previous pages.

Yea but thats exactly the point.. For what it is its a fucking fwd corsa with a heavy ass engine slapped up front with 500 bhp its never going to handle well.
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 23:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Its all about who sets your car up and what you want it to do i no my car handles well ask timc909 or col04 they have took mine out loads of times and loved it evertime and fir col to say somthing is good it must be

So again your talking about setting the car up and changing it from its standard handling characteristics to something more suited.

Nic Barnes

18th Jul 12 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yea but thats exactly the point.. For what it is its a fucking fwd corsa with a heavy ass engine slapped up front with 500 bhp its never going to handle well.

it has decent enough components to contend with it all.
possy

18th Jul 12 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A diff is part of handling down to if it is set up correctly it will actulaly pull you round a corner therefor increase in handling

but you would put a c20let in a corsa with out changing the suspension or the brakes it would just be suiside
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nic - Whats that got to do with the cars dynamics??? Yea it might have well made components but it doesnt take away the fact its front wheel drive.

Fwd is a flawed system i dont care how much you want to sugar coat it. You cant expect the front axel to corner and put the power down better than a 4wd ir rwd application..

Why do you think f1 cars are rwd, for that matter why are 99% of race cars rwd or 4wd.??

Look just face it, your corsa might handle ok for what it is but in the grand scheme of things its right down at the bottom of the handling scale.

[Edited on 18-07-2012 by chris_uk]

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling 24 database queries in 0.0167949 seconds