corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh.

New Poll
  <<  98    99    100    101    102    103    104  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh.
Ben G

User status: Offline
14th Oct 14 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what they all say on the forum as it shows up all the dust and finger prints, but I think it looks so nice as classy.

I wouldn't mind doing them body colour either tbh.
Balling
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trust me, they look nice and classy for the first five minutes after you've cleaned them. The rest of the time they just look shit and dirty.

What's worse, even though I've never used anything except the softest microfibre cloth to clean my glossy interior, it still looks swirled to fuck when the sun hits it just right.

djgritt
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gloss black interior trim is a nightmare.

Our Corsa LE has Piano black interior parts, they show up everything and constantly need cleaning off.
Ben G

15th Oct 14 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but it looks nice and shiny! Which is more than can be said for my scratched and dented (don't know how) interior trim.
Ben G

15th Oct 14 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And another thing to add to the list...

Had to drive through a flooded road last week and one of the exhaust heatshields came loose. Only realised when it started scraping the ground.

Eventually the scraping stopped so just left it, until today when it decided to fall down at silly speeds producing a god awful noise at it constantly scraped the road surface.

Had to remove it as it's buggered. Luckily a new one is only $35 so not too expensive.

The joys of lowered cars.

What is more worrying is the airbag light that has came on with no warning. Very strange. That needs more investigation.

[Edited on 15-10-2014 by Ben G]
Jambo

15th Oct 14 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Trust me, they look nice and classy for the first five minutes after you've cleaned them. The rest of the time they just look shit and dirty.

What's worse, even though I've never used anything except the softest microfibre cloth to clean my glossy interior, it still looks swirled to fuck when the sun hits it just right.

I too have piano black trim and can confirm it is a nightmare. Swirled as fuck even though it's never had anything more abrasive than a brand new microfibres and dust anywhere near it.

It does look great but it is a massive PITA. Had a few bits done on the e36 and ended up wishing I hadn't tbh.
BeetleGav

15th Oct 14 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did warn you off piano black trims for a reason

Lol who needs heatshields anyways can't blame lows with how yours it sat now!
Ben G

16th Oct 14 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's low to normal people Gav, and definitely too low for wading through roads full of water

Just ordered another one £27 posted, brand new. Not bad at all.
BeetleGav

16th Oct 14 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which one have you ripped off? I need a new rear one (for around the backbox I don't have)

Yeah I drove mine through flood water before lowering and it didn't like it then either
Ben G

16th Oct 14 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one under the drivers side. Only small. Looks like the middle one, although it says front on realoem, but the front one comes from the engine bay.

Glad it wasn't the middle one. Costs over 100 quid!
Brett
Premium Member

16th Oct 14 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My airbag light came on recently one morning, wasn't happy Fortunately the next day it'd sorted itself out and not come on again
Ben G

16th Oct 14 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish I had that luck! Mine's been on over a week now and it's still on

Wet patches in the boot are apparently caused by perished seals around 2 vents that sit behind the rear bumper.

That would explain why I have 2 patches either side in exactly the same place which only get wet after heavy rain.

Once again, another age related problem. One of the many ''perks'' of owning an older car.

Should be able to order those pretty cheaply and replace them no problem, just struggling to find a part number.
Ben G

17th Oct 14 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Air filter on

Had to cut down the 90-80mm silicone hose I got and get a bigger hose clip, but got there in the end after many minutes of faffing around.

Apologies for the dirty engine bay. Hasn't been cleaned in ages!

Ben G

17th Oct 14 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a look at the vents in the car and it does appear that the seal around the outside of them are letting water in.

The sound insulation around the strut towers is soaking, so that'll need a complete drying out.

Here's a few pics:

N/s vent:

Easily removed without taking the rear bumper off. Simply push them through and then bring them back through the hole. They will need turning a little to get through.

You can see where the water has been getting through here, bottom right of the vent seal.

Ordered 2 new vents. Bargain at £4.00 each.
MatthewR

18th Oct 14 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has the filter made much difference? Looks quality imo not too ott
Ben G

18th Oct 14 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound is incredible past 4,000 rpm, proper beastly outside. Probably no performance increase, but I was more interested in aesthetics and aural pleasure

I'll try and get a decent sound clip.
MatthewR

18th Oct 14 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think we are both old and wise enough to know what kind of gains you get from a filter lol. Bet it sounds awesome with your engine - look forward to hearing the clip
Ben G

18th Oct 14 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly Matthew. No +25bhp figures here!

Cheers mate
Ben G

19th Oct 14 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought i'd do another 'fix it' list.

1) Airbag light on - possibly due to wet passenger side, under seat.
2) Find the aforementioned passenger side leak.
3) Remove O/S headlamp and investigate why headlight beam is stuck down.
4) Buy Philips halogen bulbs to cure hid problems.

Obviously the main issue is the airbag light, as I believe that is now an MOT failure? Headlight bulb problem is most likely an issue with the little box that stops the flickering.

So yeah, looks like i'm in for a busy few weeks the bulb issues should all be easy and cheap fixes. Might sack the HID's off for some decent halogen bulbs and change the reg plate bulbs back to standard too.

[Edited on 02-11-2014 by Ben G]
Ben G

25th Oct 14 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished night shift, home at 6:45am, up at 11:45am ready to fit car parts

Decided to take the rear bumper off to fit the boot vents as it was much easier this way. Bumper was surprisingly easy to remove with little rust hiding behind. The crash bars usually look a lot worse than this.

The hole that needed sealing up.

And done:

Whilst the bumper was off, I took the chance to replace my flickering led reg plate bulbs with some normal yellow 501's. They may not look great, but it solves a problem caused by the led's.

I also received my heatshield through the post, so fitted that too. Easy enough, if a little annoying trying to fit it with the exhaust in place.

That's 3 jobs ticked off the list. I'm going to have a look at the heated mirror glass and see if that's a simple fix. Hoping so!
BeetleGav

25th Oct 14 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see the point in that vent at all! Stupid.

Definitely cleaner behind there than most I've seen, can also tell from that picture that my theory is correct and the bottom of the bumper is held stiff using the heatshields. Mines fucked so I have a loose bumper

Top part under the rear wing slips out too.
Ben G

25th Oct 14 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah yeah, the heatshield around the backbox attaches to the wheel arch liner which is attached to the bumper, so it's all held firm there.

Vents are pretty stupid I agree. Suppose it's meant to stop smelly boots? But it just seems like anothwr way for water to get in. Cheap fix though, just annoying having to dry the interior out.

All work done by myself btw My dad was busy on another job

[Edited on 25-10-2014 by Ben G]
BeetleGav

25th Oct 14 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't stop you going round to see if he could do it tho eh

I'm wondering wether I have a leaky vent now. A while ago it seemed damp in that corner
Jambo

25th Oct 14 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That joiner looks much better Ben, much more factory. Good work on the maintenance.

As much as I miss my M3, I do not miss this kind of shit
Ben G

25th Oct 14 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers Jambo. It's mostly small fiddly bits that are a pain to get to. Hopefully that's fixed the boot leak.

Went to get the wing mirror glass off and even after applying heat, it cracked not a big deal, it was a cheap one from eBay.

I think I may have bought the wrong one before, as it was just the glass without the backing plate. Serves me right for being cheap.

Will order one with the backing plate and hope that sorts it.

<<  98    99    100    101    102    103    104  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh. 24 database queries in 0.0421562 seconds