corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2012 Thread

New Poll
  <<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2012 Thread
Daveskater
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Apr 12 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got thoughts on this Mercedes double DRS thing? It's a fantastic idea and it amazes me that it's even possible, but other teams keep protesting it, even though it's already been declared legal three times. Their excuse is they want to make sure it will be legal for the rest of the year before they make their own. I reckon they're trying their hardest to have it banned so they don't have to go through the effort of making their own

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Cole

2nd Apr 12 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the teams will already have made their own but won't put it on the far till they know for sure it's legal
Dom

3rd Apr 12 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
Anyone got thoughts on this Mercedes double DRS thing? It's a fantastic idea and it amazes me that it's even possible, but other teams keep protesting it, even though it's already been declared legal three times. Their excuse is they want to make sure it will be legal for the rest of the year before they make their own. I reckon they're trying their hardest to have it banned so they don't have to go through the effort of making their own

Have you read Scarbs write-up on it? It goes into a fair amount of detail on how they do it, certainly worth a read.

Although i'm still confused why they went down the DRS activated route to blowing the front wing, as it makes it rather limited in use by being a temporary solution to creating downforce where it isn't really needed ie: on the straights (perhaps i'm being naive). As mentioned before, blowing the front wing via a front air intake would make more sense as you'd continuously be increasing the downforce on the wing and you could direct the airflow over parts of the wing by using 'channels' in the duct (as show HERE).

As you say though, the FIA has deemed it legal but solely on the fact that the drivers don't directly activate the duct. Rather the blowing of front wing is activated on a secondary action to the DRS - DRS button opens the DRS which in turns operates the duct - and it's this the Teams are protesting against. It's a serious grey area because if this secondary action is deemed legal then it would open up the regs to being exploited left, right and centre; which would give the FIA a bit of a headache

Another idea for operating a duct that is floating around, is to use the steering column for activation (See HERE). Again this works on the same principle as above, in that the driver doesn't directly activate the duct(s).
Daveskater
Premium Member

4th Apr 12 at 07:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It isn't creating downforce on the wing though, it's stalling it like the flap does with the rear wing. The FIA already deemed using the front air intake for anything other than driver cooling as illegal a couple of years ago (was reading that in Autosport last night).

It's just odd that they keep protesting it. If they already have it then the excuse that they're waiting to make sure it's legal doesn't wash with me, as it's already been declared legal twice.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 12 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazing how much fuss is being made considering Mercedes have only scored 1 point (?)

Imagine if they were tearing away with pole every week, wonder if it would still be "legal" in that instance?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

4th Apr 12 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
It isn't creating downforce on the wing though, it's stalling it like the flap does with the rear wing. The FIA already deemed using the front air intake for anything other than driver cooling as illegal a couple of years ago (was reading that in Autosport last night).

It's just odd that they keep protesting it. If they already have it then the excuse that they're waiting to make sure it's legal doesn't wash with me, as it's already been declared legal twice.

Yup, you're right! Skim read Scarbs post so must have missed; it certainly makes more sense than increasing downforce
Have you got a link to the Autosport article regarding front intake (assuming this is something other than the FIA banning f-ducts/driver operated ducts)? Just wondering on what grounds they banned it, as the original rumor around the Merc's duct was to use an intake in the nose.

Horner appears to be the one pedaling this and i would suspect it's because they can't make it work with their setup. If they could get it to work then they wouldn't be making a fuss; as you say the FIA has deemed legal a handful of times so it wouldn't make sense to argue it when you've got it

[Edited on 04-04-2012 by Dom]
Daveskater
Premium Member

4th Apr 12 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was reading it in the mag so don't know where to find it on the site. Will have to get it out again tonight and copy what it says

Your last paragraph is exactly what I was thinking. Mercedes say they get about 20mph boost with their system, so you'd have thought everyone would want to crack on with it instead of dragging out the legality row. Especially seeing as Red Bull have low top speed anyway.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
noshua

11th Apr 12 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17672376

Cavey

11th Apr 12 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Teams expect Bahrain to be off again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17676140
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Apr 12 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 Place grid penalty for LH - Gearbox Change.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
noshua

12th Apr 12 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the actual rule with the changing of gear boxes? I assumed teams were free to do so unless it's on a race weekend, in which case you'd be given a penalty.
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Apr 12 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're allowed no more than one gearbox for five consecutive events... if I remember right.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Apr 12 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you have a DNF due to mechanical issues... I think.

That's why RBR kept telling SV to "Stay out", "Come in", etc at the end of Malasia. When he was out of the pits, they can feign a breakdown and he gets a free gearbox.

When there was a retirement in the last few laps they decided to stay out in the event they might scrape a point.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Apr 12 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
5 Place grid penalty for LH - Gearbox Change.
Noooo! I had him down for pole in the pool Hopefully he'll still get pole and that will count

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Cavey

12th Apr 12 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jenson on pole it is then.

Not sure on what they'd do on that in the prediction league, you'd hope they'd give it to the fastest lap still, so you might be ok still Dave
Rick Draper

12th Apr 12 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lotus protest Merc wing, protest rejected.
Dom

12th Apr 12 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
Lotus protest Merc wing, protest rejected.

Good article over at Autosport - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98738

Be interesting to see which teams implement it, even if it's only really useful during Quali.
noshua

12th Apr 12 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon McLaren, Mercedes and Red Bull will all be strong this year at China

edit: Thanks Kyle!

[Edited on 12-04-2012 by noshua]
Ben G

12th Apr 12 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking rules ruining another weekend it's the start of the season, stuff is going to break.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Apr 12 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
fucking rules ruining another weekend it's the start of the season, stuff is going to break.

It's an odd rule, I don't see why it doesn't just work like the engine rules where you get a limit of gearboxes and you can use them in any order for any combination of Grand Prix.

I'm all for cost saving to keep more teams in the sport, but give them four gearboxes a season which can be used in any order for as many races as required - Just like Engines!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Apr 12 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Considering a job offer?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rob_Quads

13th Apr 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have they confirmed if he's changed his box yet?
In P1 they were running his old one and they said they would look at it at the end of the day to decide whether to swap it i.e. they haven't 100% committed to the gearbox change
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Apr 12 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I read on Autosport somewhere that they had decided on the swap after the first practise. Shame, but better than a retirement!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

13th Apr 12 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just hope he goes for his usual balls out nutcase bastard driving style rather than sitting back and collecting the points if he manages to get stuck behind one of the mercedes/red bulls.

seen him before where he gets so beaten down by stuff going against him that he ends up below 10th place at the end.
JonnyJ

14th Apr 12 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vettle
Button
Kobayashi
Rosberg

<<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2012 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0216382 seconds