corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Who's got a spiderbox?

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who's got a spiderbox?
AlunJ

User status: Offline
21st Oct 12 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Openbox is rubbish as far as epg is concerned
noshua

21st Oct 12 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alun, keep the phone line and broadband but drop the TV?

Recently had to take Sky out, didn't realise how expensive it was, between us probably watch it once or twice a week, would've been much better off with a cheap openbox, especially considering we only get 1 feed from the communal dish
AlunJ

21st Oct 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure you can do that can you?
John

21st Oct 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can alun, that's what I've just done.
noshua

21st Oct 12 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, they do the Fibre on it's own now (well, with the phone line).

Plus with you having it installed already, all the cabling is already wired and hidden

[Edited on 21-10-2012 by noshua]
WATSON

22nd Oct 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No matter how crap the EPG is on these box's id rather pay the £40 per year than the £80 odd or whatever I was paying before with sky
John

22nd Oct 12 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As much as I dislike sky I'd rather pay them a fortune a month than deal with an openbox in the living room.

Just doesn't work with the way we watch TV.
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Oct 12 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really don't see how an openbox is a big deal. I can 110% say I'd rather pay a tenner a month than £80+ what it should be, even if it means no EPG on the TV. EPG on our mobiles works just fine, used to it now.
John

22nd Oct 12 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just don't like it. We always go to the same channels in the bedroom because we don't know what's on elsewhere. Phone isn't as easy as using the remote you already have out.

Twin tuners was a must for me also, recording something and watching something else I use every day.

The openbox you can't even record something while watching something already recorded.
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Oct 12 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on what you're after I guess. I've never paid for Sky before, just didn't think it was worth the cost for the amount of channels we'd really watch, so we've never been used to some pretty guide or particular channel layout. I also personally have no interest in recording. I was going to record late night box office on it but it's easier to get it on TPB.

If you're an average TV watcher and wouldn't mind some extra channels to choose from with very little initial layout, then bang for buck it's the Openbox every time at £40. The vu+ duo is £250+ and that's without a HDD, so you could add another £50+ onto that for a TB inside it. I do agree tho that if you're already paying for Sky then damn right, it'll be paid for in a few months like you say.

Not ruling out a vu+ however, but I've got other things to spend £250+ on at the minute

[Edited on 22-10-2012 by Brett]
John

22nd Oct 12 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't recommend any of them for anyone that wasn't a bit of a geek.

£289 it was for my genuine duo from the uk, I did have a 1TB hard drive here, would definitely have been an extra cost otherwise.
noshua

22nd Oct 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you stream content recorded content from the Openbox?
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Oct 12 at 17:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can record whatever channel it's tuned into onto a HDD, set timer, play back, etc. but you can't play stuff over the network or anything like that. The TV can do that, the xbox can do it, the media pc can do it, I can live without the Openbox doing it

[Edited on 22-10-2012 by Brett]
noshua

22nd Oct 12 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was thinking / hoping you'd be able to get two for £80 and stream from one another or to a DLNA TV or device, still, the price of clone Dreamboxes or genuine VU Duo's will soon pay it's self VS a full Sky subscription.

Wish we could cancel Sky TV now
John

22nd Oct 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

duo can stream recorded stuff, I've had a quick go with an rpi but not quite got there yet, looks like it should be simple enough.
noshua

24th Oct 12 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in using the Raspberry Pi instead of any other pvr like the VU?
Eck
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 01:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I might look into this stuff as I cba paying sky a fortune anymore. But I agree with John, a slow, cumbersome or shit epg would boil my piss something so simple but it would drive me insane. So this vuo thing you've got is the one to go for John?
John

24th Oct 12 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua

Have the duo, then the rpi can bring up it's own epg then basically stream from the vuo.

It was for me Eck. It's a mid range price, there are better boxes available with more tuners, then you run into issues with how many c lines you need. It took me hours of pissing about to set up though, it's only if you are really into it.
Eck
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll take your word for it as you share my views on the epg I don't mind the pissing about a bit of it'll save me 80 quid a month
Brett
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's not even any pissing about if you buy from the right person, they'll undoubtedly set everything up for you, John's just elite.
John

24th Oct 12 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If mine came set up there would have just been a bit less pissing about. Things like channel lists, they are ongoing, you'll be changing them all the time. Easy enough for me to do but imagine trying to explain that to someone who wasn't into it.
noshua

24th Oct 12 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by noshua

Have the duo, then the rpi can bring up it's own epg then basically stream from the vuo.

It was for me Eck. It's a mid range price, there are better boxes available with more tuners, then you run into issues with how many c lines you need. It took me hours of pissing about to set up though, it's only if you are really into it.

Ah I get you. Sounds quite interesting, I imagine it'll be able to set recordings and what not eventually to?

Isn't there a config file, or multiple files, that hold the settings for everything that you modified John? If so we can just create a template
John

24th Oct 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've downloaded almost everything, not done much at all myself yet. Was just going between images, one had one bit I wanted, another something else. Installed some plugin that broke everything.

I've persevered, Brett is obviously capable and so are most people who look into it in the first place. I wouldn't recommend one to my parents, put it that way.
WATSON

24th Oct 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there anything out there than I can plug into the back of my tv that will send the tv signal to another tv in the house without using a second box?

Was looking at them tv signal senders but not 100% sure they will work and if the main tv would have to be on (not standby) main picture.
noshua

24th Oct 12 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've downloaded almost everything, not done much at all myself yet. Was just going between images, one had one bit I wanted, another something else. Installed some plugin that broke everything.

I've persevered, Brett is obviously capable and so are most people who look into it in the first place. I wouldn't recommend one to my parents, put it that way.

Yeah I completely understand what you're saying, you can start to understand why people who are capable of doing this still pay Sky a fortune every month.

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Who's got a spiderbox? 24 database queries in 0.0199339 seconds