corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread

New Poll
  <<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Jan 14 at 07:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2014 is a grower for sure, many of those clips didn't capture the turbo very well.

The lower volume is a shame, I'll never ever forget the first time I heard one at 200mph or the look on my missus' face when we stood 20yards away from Lewis doing clutch bite tests. None of that however translates through to telly coverage at all, so the vast majority of TV viewers will never know what they've missed.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

30th Jan 14 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From that video, v8 all the way.

They didn't sound like tbey were any near max rpm though, so need to wait until we get some proper laps set.

love the turbo whistle noise, but it sounds lazy compared to last years mental engine raping scream.
Rick Draper

30th Jan 14 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Red bull managed half a lap this morning before breaking down!
JonnyJ

30th Jan 14 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
You better hope he pulls JBs weight too if you fancy a chance of WCC.

How do you get away with saying this without getting the anti Lewis, Button brigade onto you

Not going well for Renault and RB is it?
Ben G

30th Jan 14 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm absolutely loving it tbh. About time red bull Had some teething problems.
JonnyJ

30th Jan 14 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Red Bull done for the day. A whole 2 laps added to their 11 in total done over the previous 2 days.
Dom

30th Jan 14 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RBR apparently call it quits for today; seems Newey/RBR have packaged the MGU controller too tightly which is causing overheating issues and mechanics are now stripping back some of the packing to help with cooling.

Hopefully they get it sorted otherwise Bahrain is going to make things interesting (i can see a lot of teams have cooling issues tbh)
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Jan 14 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really is poor running for RBR, not only that - but Torro Rosso who have actually managed to string together a few laps with a Renault lump have been WOEFULLY slow.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

30th Jan 14 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just the 20 seconds off the pace

Obviously they are going to sort this but i would LOVE to see Vettels face turning up to Melbourne and lapping miles off the pace. We'll see Vettel the moody cunt for sure.
JonnyJ

30th Jan 14 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Magnussen goes fastest. I reckon he's going to shock a few people this season, really rate him. Wonder who will partner him at Mclaren next season?
fred7

30th Jan 14 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad mclaren are still quick today. I know it means nothing but atleast a reliable car is a good sign and magnussen just as quick/quicker is hopefully for the team
Jamie-C

30th Jan 14 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gonna be aa good season this year
JonnyJ

30th Jan 14 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laps completed so far at Jerez:

Mercedes - 177 laps.
Ferrari - 136 laps.
McLaren - 135 laps.
Red Bull - 14 laps.
JonnyJ

30th Jan 14 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I notice the betting market now has Merc favourites for the Constructors (were 2nd behind RB before today) bit early to draw any conclusions yet!
tom130691
Premium Member

30th Jan 14 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they always had packaging and over heating issues with kers,

now energy recovery have been powered up its only going to be worse
JonnyJ

30th Jan 14 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ricciardo's comments suggest that the problem is down to the design of the RB10 and that Adrian his heading back to MK to try solve the problem.

With that being the case, unless they can perform some bodge job, then they might not run much tomorrow either.

Speed holes anyone?

Rob_Quads

30th Jan 14 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
they always had packaging and over heating issues with kers,

now energy recovery have been powered up its only going to be worse

Thats what happens when you are trying to be very very clever. I would put money on them last year using it to do a form of traction control, thus some of it being mounted in the gearbox. Even caterham could get Kers to work so someone like RB would have no problems if they were just doing it the normal way.

I think they have been hit the most as they did development later than everyone else to secure the championship and suspect from the way they have talked, they also have had to make major changes to the way they do things like removal of blown diffuses completely etc.

It would be good to see them struggle for the first few races just so we can see how good Vetel really is
Dom

30th Jan 14 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
they always had packaging and over heating issues with kers..

Same happened with the McLaren MP4-18/19 (one of them), Newey brought in the idea of tightly 'packaging' the car/design to save weight and improve aerodynamics but cooling was massively hindered because of it (engine overheating etc) so they ended up scrapping the car.

I don't RBR will get it sorted for Australia, reliability of the Renault power unit (as a whole) is questionable so far though.

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
With that being the case, unless they can perform some bodge job, then they might not run much tomorrow either.

Mechanics/engineers were reported to be ripping parts of the bodywork apart this afternoon (and last night but clearly that didn't work) but i can see it being much the same tbf.

Marrusia MR03 - http://i.imgur.com/8P74OG6.jpg
Doesn't look too bad compared to some but it's unlikely to be a contender for the WDC

Also a rumour floating around that a few teams might protest McLaren rear-beam-come-wishbone setup, which isn't surprising although it's currently completely legal. No doubt there will be a few teams attempting to design something similar though

[Edited on 30-01-2014 by Dom]
tom130691
Premium Member

30th Jan 14 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rear of the mclaren looks intresting aswell

quote:
This unusual solution has been garnering a lot of attention at the opening pre-season test at Jerez. McLaren have designed the MP4-29's rear suspension, in particular the toe link and the rear leg of the lower wishbone, so as to create elements which respect the 3.5:1 dimension ratio required by the regulations, but which are in effect large aero devices. At lower speeds they help improve the extraction of air from the rear diffuser, thus boosting downforce, while at higher speeds movement in the suspension components means they cut drag. The solution is considered legal by the FIA, but could lead to clarification requests from rival teams - especially as it's one that cannot be easily copied, since it would require a complete redesign of the rear suspension
Dom

30th Jan 14 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jerez testing vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQbdEJsjHQ

Toro Rosso sounding ropey - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijDZSBRuZFE

[Edited on 30-01-2014 by Dom]
Ben G

31st Jan 14 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds fucked probably some weird trickery thing they're trying to do. Sounds like he's on and off the throttle.
Dom

31st Jan 14 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RBR wrap it up after putting in 7 laps; bit of a difference compared to Rosberg's 91 laps this morning

[Edited on 31-01-2014 by Dom]
nibnob21
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer the v8 engine sound, but love the turbo whistle on down shifts with the v6.

MX5 Project Thread
fred7

31st Jan 14 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Massa quickest today and magnussen bins the car to finish the testing.
JonnyJ

31st Jan 14 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
RBR wrap it up after putting in 7 laps; bit of a difference compared to Rosberg's 91 laps this morning

[Edited on 31-01-2014 by Dom]

ouch. They'll turn it round but at least they're on the back foot. Whilst they focus on reliability in Bahrain the rest of the non Renault engined cars can focus on outright performance.

<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0219061 seconds