corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Doldy's C20XE Corsa build, UPDATED : 06/06/09 - Respray finished and engine fitted

New Poll
  <<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Doldy's C20XE Corsa build, UPDATED : 06/06/09 - Respray finished and engine fitted
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Sep 08 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gay
broster
Premium Member

9th Sep 08 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
quote:
Originally posted by broster
they do, because of the lift onthe cams the head isn't designed to run the high lift, so you need to remove material to all clearance.

it is important when building engines to carry out dummy builds .

why?

so you can check for valve to piston clearance, check the compression ratio, check for clearance issues, etc!

it can also save a bit of money in the long run depending how far down the line the build is when a fault is noticed.

i know you have arp stud and nuts, but if you didnt you may need new head bolts if the head is torqued down and then you need to thinkl of gaskets.

it just how every engine we build it built.

don't get me wrong im not being big headed and an arse, i have alot of interest in this build and alot of respect for what you doing, its not your average engine, alot of time and money has gone into this. there are always alot of unknown issues, i assembled my engine 3 times before i had the correct piston - valve clearance and compression ratio.

its also common for heads to need modification with cams of your profile.

Dan
Premium Member

9th Sep 08 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

our valve to piston clearance is not adjustable, as were using hydraulic profile cams. I take it they are defo hydraulic profile?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
broster
Premium Member

9th Sep 08 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i mention it because i had to increase the pocket size in the pistons with my cams, but im running 13:1 compression ratio, alot of material was removed off the head.

your cams are 100% deffo hydrolic profile.

valve to piston clearance isnt set with the lifters, thats the cam to lifter clearance, you have no worry with that.

valve to piston clearance can easily be checked by dummying the engine up, putting some playdoe on the pistons and timing the engine up, spin it over by hand and check how much the valve goes into the playdoe, if that makes sence.

when doldy ordered the cams i made a point of making sure you were staying with hydrolics, so don't worry
Rick Draper

9th Sep 08 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You cannot check valve to piston clearence using a hydraulic lifter though. You would need a insert machined up to replace the hydraulic lifters plunger and then you can check the valve to piston clearence.
broster
Premium Member

9th Sep 08 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
You cannot check valve to piston clearence using a hydraulic lifter though. You would need a insert machined up to replace the hydraulic lifters plunger and then you can check the valve to piston clearence.

you could tell if there was valve to piston contact tho using the playdoe method.....
Dan
Premium Member

9th Sep 08 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But, there is no way of adjusting valve to piston clearance on hydraulic lifters? so a cam thats running on hydrualic is gonna be fine on our pistons?

Rick Draper

9th Sep 08 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
But, there is no way of adjusting valve to piston clearance on hydraulic lifters? so a cam thats running on hydrualic is gonna be fine on our pistons?

You adjust it by machining material off the valve cutouts on the pistons.

If you do not check this i would be expecting to be buying 16 nex valves and 16 new valve guides when you first start it up.

Did you check all the ring gaps?
Dan
Premium Member

10th Sep 08 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So are ARP head studs reusuable?

Robin
Premium Member

10th Sep 08 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Providing they're not overstretched (which they shouldn't be if they're torqued correctly and the engine hasn't been run) yes.
Doldy

10th Sep 08 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CV Joints arrived yesterday; parcel man came at 20 past 9 last night.....

Ordering new Head Gasket from JAV in the morning.

New compomotives have been dropped off at powdercoaters and will be picked up on saturday morning.
Doldy

11th Sep 08 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also started to sort out the breather baffle plate as its a mess and surface rusty. Going to do "the breather mod" to it also.

Ran Dan over some bright pink playdoe and the rocker cover too, aswel as some other bits from our big red oily box of bits!
Spoons

12th Sep 08 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good lads, you will have to let me know if you need any help or anything as i only live 15 mins down the road...
Doldy

12th Sep 08 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Spoons
looking good lads, you will have to let me know if you need any help or anything as i only live 15 mins down the road...

Cheers Bud, If it was nicer weather i would be out working on the shell and you could come down.
Doldy

12th Sep 08 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been given a delivery date for the rest of the kit with the solid mounts and all that jaz. It should arrive next Wednesday or Thursday!

From there, things can get moving again at long last!

Wheels will be picked up first thing in the morn so will get pics of them too!!!
Olsrey

12th Sep 08 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Date on the TB's yet?
Doldy

12th Sep 08 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Olsrey
Date on the TB's yet?

When you lend me £1k for them .
They havent been ordered yet, funds simply do not allow, although i do have a plan which may get me them sooner rather than later
Olsrey

12th Sep 08 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doldy
quote:
Originally posted by Olsrey
Date on the TB's yet?

When you lend me £1k for them .
They havent been ordered yet, funds simply do not allow, although i do have a plan which may get me them sooner rather than later
Get it sorted you slacker . Credit taken a big enough beating then?
Doldy

12th Sep 08 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Get it sorted you slacker . Credit taken a big enough beating then?

If i sat in a room, didnt drive the fezza, could cancel my phone, internet, & tv contracts and didnt have to pay rent i would buy them now.

But im not gonna,....
Dan
Premium Member

12th Sep 08 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think any of its on credit anyway

Doldy

13th Sep 08 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I dont think any of its on credit anyway

Dan, you gonne give us an update anytime soon
Doldy

13th Sep 08 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at my sexy new wheels, freshly powdercoated and fully refurbed. Better than new:

Damn, its hard to get good pics of gloss black wheels aint it

[Edited on 13-09-2008 by Doldy]
Dan
Premium Member

13th Sep 08 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My update:

Ive spent fucking hours grinding and still dont have 1 cam turning free

Graham88

13th Sep 08 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice

It's like wheel heaven in your garage
Doldy

13th Sep 08 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poor Dan Dan keep up the good work

Graham, yes it is lol, a fresh set of vtr wheels in them bags too, and some fresh chrome(ish) deep dish behind them lol.
Most will be gone soon

<<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Doldy's C20XE Corsa build, UPDATED : 06/06/09 - Respray finished and engine fitted 24 database queries in 0.0232630 seconds