corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody

New Poll
  <<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for everybody
Paul_J

User status: Offline
24th May 06 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave is right in his way of thinking, it's just that dave is thinking of the thrust speed out of the back, is what the conveyor is matching thus equalibrium. But its not the case here.
dave17

24th May 06 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really.

The way i look at it, the thrust can be converted into speed. Thrust is pusing the plane along like a regular engine through the wheels.

If the wheels are travelling at 100mph, then so is the conveyor belt.

If the thrust gets increased, which increases the speed of the wheels to 200mph, then so does the conveyor belt.

But whatever, i cant b arsed to type about this anymore.
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
WIL PEOPLE THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE SAYING

if your thoerys are correct what happens when you try and land on this moveing runway?

ACCORDING TO YOU WE WOULD STOP DEAD!!

you would carry on with momentum just like you would if you landed on solid ground.

FFS look at every article that google brings up, everyone that I have seen has concluded it would take off

the question has nothing at all to do with landing - just taking off
John

24th May 06 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pressing the accelerator in a plane doesn't speed the wheels up.
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17
Not really.

The way i look at it, the thrust can be converted into speed. Thrust is pusing the plane along like a regular engine through the wheels.

If the wheels are travelling at 100mph, then so is the conveyor belt.

If the thrust gets increased, which increases the speed of the wheels to 200mph, then so does the conveyor belt.

But whatever, i cant b arsed to type about this anymore.

Well basically dave, thrust can't be converted to speed.

Speed = Distance travelled / Time

Thrust = Force over an area.

They're not the same thing mate.
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyway. stop now, and answer my question
Jules S
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets stop to think here for a minute.

And please people, stop to read this before posting more guff.

Lets consider what forces the conveyor can exert on the plane.

If accelerated quickly enough it will be very possible that the plane would remain stationary and the wheels would simply spin, whether thats forward or reverse.

Therefore the conveyor belt has little or no influence on the movement of the plane regardless of speed. All the energy of the conveyor belt is/can be expended in moving the planes wheels, not the plane itself.

The mass of the plane itself is therefore completely disconnected from the conveyor belt. the jet engines are therefore quite capable of moving the plane forward. All that will happen is that the wheels will be travelling at twice the speed they should be in order to take off.

^^ all my own work that....easier to explain when you dont have work to do!!!!
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the plane is at max ground speed say 100mph for arguments sake and the conveyor belt is at 100mph in the opposite direction. (BOTH THE SAME SPEED, THEY CANT GO ANY FASTER, = NO ACCELERATION!). The plane will appear to be not moving apart from the wheels that are turning.

therefore when the plane goes to take off, because the plane is not moving there wont be any wind lift to lift the wings and lift the plane.

Who honestly thinks im right?
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sxi04
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by John
The plane forces air out the back, pushing it forward.

But it can't go forward John.

The belt is matching the craft's speed.

That is the most important fact in this entire debate.

disengage your brain from treating the aircraft as a car for just one minute, and please do something for me, and maybe the penny will drop.

if you have your mobile phone handy place a pen underneath and sit both on top of a piece of scrap paper. now move the scrap paper and the phone at the same speed in opposite directions as stated in the question.

If you come back and still believe that by moving the ground under the wheels is the same as exerting an equal force on the planes jets then i dont hold much hope that you'll ever be swayed.

I won't be swayed until someone shows me a 737 taking off from a static position at full throttle on a giant conveyor belt that is matching it's speed.

And speed is the key here. We are discussing speed, not force.
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
Lets stop to think here for a minute.

And please people, stop to read this before posting more guff.

Lets consider what forces the conveyor can exert on the plane.

If accelerated quickly enough it will be very possible that the plane would remain stationary and the wheels would simply spin, whether thats forward or reverse.

Therefore the conveyor belt has little or no influence on the movement of the plane regardless of speed. All the energy of the conveyor belt is/can be expended in moving the planes wheels, not the plane itself.

The mass of the plane itself is therefore completely disconnected from the conveyor belt. the jet engines are therefore quite capable of moving the plane forward. All that will happen is that the wheels will be travelling at twice the speed they should be in order to take off.

^^ all my own work that....easier to explain when you dont have work to do!!!!

John

24th May 06 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DarrenGSi you don't even get what anybody here is talking about so no you are not right.
Of course the plane doesn't take off if it's not moving, nobody is saying it is.
John

24th May 06 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SVM nobody is saying it will take off while its static.
Will people who don't understand anythin please not clutter this up anymore.
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I won't be swayed until someone shows me a 737 taking off from a static position at full throttle on a giant conveyor belt that is matching it's speed.

You will never see a plane sitting on a giant conveyor stationary and take off - As that's not whats being discussed here. IT's neither likely what we are discussing would ever happen either.

Please open your mind and review what people are saying, everyone else has gathered already the plane is not stationary.
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THE QUESTION STATES THAT THE PLANES WHEELS AND THE CONVEYOR BELT IS AT THE SAME SPEED, THEREFORE THE PLANE WILL BE STATIONARY.

DO YOU NOT GET IT JOHN?
John

24th May 06 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't start me becuase i've refrained from calling people things here but you don't actually have any clue whats going on here.
Stop just now before you make an idiot of yourself.
I'm not saying this because its not what i'm saying, Live Lee has had perfectly reasonable arguments.
Its beacuse what you are saying is stupid.
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Jeveryone else has gathered already the plane is not stationary.

if the plane is travelling at 100 mph and the conveyor is 100mph the opposite way, why wouldnt it be stationary?
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres my pretty crappy demo

http://www.poisoft.co.uk/car.3gp

Right click save as

Watch how the wood is pulled back i can move the car along just as easily as if it were on solid ground

if you cant see it get Quicktime alternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=1848&s=66

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by Steve]

Paul_J

24th May 06 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenGSi
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Jeveryone else has gathered already the plane is not stationary.

if the plane is travelling at 100 mph and the conveyor is 100mph the opposite way, why wouldnt it be stationary?

because if the plane is stationary - neither the plane or the conveyor is doing 100 mph. They're all doing 0 mph.
Jules S
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

darren,

It is possible that the wheels and conveyor belt are doing 400mph and the plane itself is doing 600mph

Think about it dude
Hammer

24th May 06 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxi04
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John
The plane forces air out the back, pushing it forward.

But it can't go forward John.

The belt is matching the craft's speed.

That is the most important fact in this entire debate.

disengage your brain from treating the aircraft as a car for just one minute, and please do something for me, and maybe the penny will drop.

if you have your mobile phone handy place a pen underneath and sit both on top of a piece of scrap paper. now move the scrap paper and the phone at the same speed in opposite directions as stated in the question.

If you come back and still believe that by moving the ground under the wheels is the same as exerting an equal force on the planes jets then i dont hold much hope that you'll ever be swayed.

well they do say ignorance is bliss my wordy friend
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the plane appears to be stationary because the wheels are driving it forward at the same speed as the belt is pushing it backward

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by DarrenGSi]
dave17

24th May 06 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
Question:

If an aeroplane is taking off but is on a conveyor belt that is moving at the same speed as the plane, would the plane take off?

Just realised it doesnt even say its moving in the opposite direction, could both be going forward, if this was the case, then it would definately take off.

Im done
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tghe plane will NOT be sationary Darren

Unless we ignore the science of thrust, and ignore that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

I'm gonna end this once and for all
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greg_M
AND THE PENNY HAS DROPPED

I finally understand. yes it would take off

It wouldn't Greg, the conveyor belt matches the speed of the craft.

As soon as the plane tries to move off, the belt starts rolling.

The faster the plane tries to push itself forwards, the faster the belt turns maintaining the plane's location and preventing lift.

The wheels will be going very very very fast and the engines can be flat out with afterburner on too, but she aint going anywhere.
Hammer

24th May 06 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17
quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
Question:

If an aeroplane is taking off but is on a conveyor belt that is moving at the same speed as the plane, would the plane take off?

Just realised it doesnt even say its moving in the opposite direction, could both be going forward, if this was the case, then it would definately take off.

Im done

yip i did state that was an assumption that everyone had made

<<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody 22 database queries in 0.0204999 seconds