corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
kz

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 14 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:
Originally posted by kz
Went looking at new phones with the missus today as hers is up for renewal soon. She's got a Lumia 920 atm but she's had enough of Windows Phone... thinking about returning to iOS or heading over to Android or a change. Pretty smitten with the Z3 Compact. Does look pretty good to me, I like the green.

Do like the Lumia 930 I just don't understand why every other manufacturer manages to make their flagship phone without bulk sticking out the back... hopefully we'll get a new one in 2015 with Microsoft branding.

If I were going to buy a phone today, I'd be all over the Z3 (or maybe Z3 compact).

I just love the way it looks. It's basically my favourite phone design of all time (iPhone 4 - glass front and back, metal round the sides) but thinner, with bigger, higher resolution screen, 20MP camera, waterproofing, two day battery life, PS4 game streaming etc... it's the daddy. I quite like the look of the Sony smart watch as well.

Despite my reluctance to give Google any more information about me than they already have, Lollipop actually looks quite good.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Z3 looks great, better than the iPhone 6 imo, the iPhone 4 was definitely the peak for Apple.

Unfortunately the Compact changes out the surround for some shitty see through plastic though which is a real shame. PS4 thing looks great too although I'm still undecided what console to go for next, even though I've been a PlayStation guy in the past, the Xbox One seems to have the better features this time around.
Dom

23rd Nov 14 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If I were going to buy a phone today, I'd be all over the Z3 (or maybe Z3 compact).

It's a bloody good phone although rumours are floating around of Sony releasing a Z4 within the next few months before they switch to yearly refresh cycles; probably would be worth holding off.
kz

1st Dec 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anyone's in Canada over the next few days Best Buy are doing the original Surface Pro's for under £200! Already checked and they won't deliver to the UK
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any Adobe CC subscibers who were thinking about getting a maxed out Surface Pro 3 should keep an eye on their inbox for a coupon from Adobe for £399 off the full fat Core i7 512Gb Surface Pro 3 WITH A TYPE COVER!

I was already quite tempted by the Surface Pro 3; this might tip me over the edge.

Anyone want to make a sensible offer on my immaculate, still under warranty until June, first gen Surface Pro 1 Core i5 128Gb with keyboard cover and Manvex Leather Folio case?
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In other news: replacement 930 has been spot on and I'm still loving it. Looking forward to the Denim firmware update which should yield some impressive camera improvements (speed and various image quality algorithm tweaks) amongst other things:
http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/

Anyone else going to be watching the Windows 10 Live Stream at 5pm?

http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll take that as a no, then!

Just over half an hour to go... Woo! Yay!
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade from Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1:

Bold!
DaveyLC

21st Jan 15 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a bit of a cop out that its 'for the first year'.. I was hoping their follow suit with Apple and make it 100% free.

I'm already running the Tech preview on 3 machines and I love it!

[Edited on 21-01-2015 by DaveyLC]
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What the actual fuck is going on:

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us
Dom

21st Jan 15 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I was hoping their follow suit with Apple and make it 100% free.

As explained in the past, Apple's (new; they've charged in the past) model wouldn't work with Microsoft as Apple offset the costs against hardware; so it's unlikely to ever happen.

Still, free for twelve months is still pretty damn good considering.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jan 15 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my schools agreement to get around that
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jan 15 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What the actual fuck is going on:

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Jambo

22nd Jan 15 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens after the first year? You have to pay or they brick the machine? Or would it revert back to previous OS?
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Jan 15 at 12:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
What happens after the first year? You have to pay or they brick the machine? Or would it revert back to previous OS?

I think they mean everyone has one year to upgrade for free, once you've got the license it's yours.

Similar to Windows 8 when it came out - for a short time you could upgrade for £25ish then after a year it went back up to full price for new purchasers.
Jambo

22nd Jan 15 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok I'm with you.

That Hololens
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jan 15 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that case that's fucking good. Be doing that to everyones PC
DaveyLC

22nd Jan 15 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
I was hoping their follow suit with Apple and make it 100% free.

As explained in the past, Apple's (new; they've charged in the past) model wouldn't work with Microsoft as Apple offset the costs against hardware; so it's unlikely to ever happen.

Still, free for twelve months is still pretty damn good considering.

Of course it will.. Microsoft want developers to write cross-platform software for both PC and Mobile platforms, that way they get surface and mobile sales out of the mix and of-course both business and home users buy office applications and other MS tools.

Apple might get hardware revenue but that don't really write any of their own commercial (as in retailable) software as they have never really needed too. MS are the complete opposite.
kz

22nd Jan 15 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That wording is shit, lol. See people saying the same thing on various forums... so yeah it'll be free forever, once you upgrade. It's good though, happy they made that decision.

HoloLens looks amazing if it works the way they're intending it to.

I wish Microsoft would release a self-branded monitor/TV... the Surface Hub looks wicked but I don't want anything that big and it's obviously going to cost mega bucks.
Dom

22nd Jan 15 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Apple might get hardware revenue but that don't really write any of their own commercial (as in retailable) software as they have never really needed too. MS are the complete opposite.

Apple own and develop Aperture, Logic Pro, Final Cut, Motion, the Apple 'Office' Suite (granted they now dish this out free but it use to cost previously), various other applications; so yes, they do create their own 'retailable' software.

Microsoft may be attempting to now market Windows as a 'service' and make themselves look more 'Apple' but as said, Microsoft simply don't have the budget to offset the cost of R&D and development of their operating system to allow them to give it away - fag packet maths (based on W7 sales) would suggest they'd lose $20-30 billion. On top of that, it would potentially ruffle a few feathers in the enterprise markets.

Personally i think Microsoft will push Windows (and other OS's and software) towards a subscription based service, similar to what they're doing with Office; not only could they integrate all their software further into the 'cloud' but they would also generate a continuous revenue stream and clamp down, to some extent, on pirating - it's certainly worked for Adobe.

[Edited on 22-01-2015 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Jan 15 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Apple own and develop Aperture

Just a sidenote: Apple actually stopped development on Aperture in the middle of last year to build Aperture-like functionality into the new, free, iPhoto replacement app, "Photos" - which was supposed to ship with Yosemite but has so far failed to materialise.

Shame really cos it was way better than Lightroom in my opinion.

Still selling it on the App Store, though, the cunts!

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/apple-kills-aperture/

[Edited on 22-01-2015 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Jan 15 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lumia Denim now available for UK Lumia 930s if anyone else has got one. Check for phone updates!
Jambo

23rd Jan 15 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who cares.

When's my Hololens being delivered....
Brett
Premium Member

24th Jan 15 at 02:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Microsoft
jbguitarking

12th Mar 15 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After using windows 10 preview on my pc I'm now looking at switching from an iPhone 5s to a Lumia 735!

Read this whole thread and I'm really intrigue by windows mobile now.
oceansoul

12th Mar 15 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are getting Lumia 730's at work next month. Will be a good excuse to trial out windows mobile

<<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >>

New Poll