corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  16    17    18    19    20    21    22  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Ben G

User status: Offline
10th May 13 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you're saying powdercoating alloy wheels is the work of the devil, then you're mad.

loads of people on here have powdercoated alloys, yet not one has broken yet.
3CorsaMeal

10th May 13 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting thread that.

Armchair engineers lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've read about wheel failures post powdercoating before, but it seems to be freak occasions with possible mitigating circumstances. I'll be talking with him before anything goes in an oven, but from what I can gather this particular powdercoater opts for "cold" stripping of old paint with blasting methods, rather than blasting the fuck out of it at 500degrees and/or acid dipping.

My only concern really is the buckled wheel... he's seen it and said it's an easy fix, and he's fixed far worse - but surely it must be marginally weaker than the other wheels.

Luckily none of it is relevant, as my wheels won't be exploding while it's sat on my drive being polished

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th May 13 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While the car is on stands, I took the opportunity to blast all the crap out of the wheel arches, which in turn exposed a lack of underseal (I blasted most of it off )

Spent this morning cleaning/sealing as follows:

Before:

Some foam degreaser:

Quick Rinse:

Some more scrubbing with APC, dried off:

My product for the day:

After:

Cleaned the plastics with some APC and then some bumper trim treatment:

I'm missing a fair few clips within the wheel arches, so will try to source some before my wheels come back.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

12th May 13 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think once it's sorted we'll get the car properly cleaned one weekend
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm mentally penciling in the next BH weekend for my big wash, but that's all weather depending.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what did you use on the inner arches?
Simon_16v

13th May 13 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I'm mentally penciling in the next BH weekend for my big wash, but that's all weather depending.

That suits me fine, I'll bring all my AG stuff with me lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
what did you use on the inner arches?

I can't remember the brand, but it was an aerosol of foamy degreaser from a local motorfactor. Seems decent stuff!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

That suits me fine, I'll bring all my AG stuff with me lol

It'll be a long day, FN2 took me 10 hours and didn't touch the interior or engine bay

I'm wondering whether it's worth machine polishing, got a couple of scratches which I reckon I can polish the edge off of but swirl wise it's still mint from the November detail.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

13th May 13 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's been driven 6 times since November that's why
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good one.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

13th May 13 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

less cleaning, more mods + driving to test them out pls

kthx
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was hoping to have my wheels back on the car, and car back on the road today - but the town in which my powdercoaters reside had a power cut all day, so now my pickup date is tomorrow

Oh well, my latest purchase arrived which I reckon will nudge me a little bit closer to the OCD hall of fame

People who have read this thread since November will know of the JDM clocks I fitted to give me a nice red background with a swoop animation on startup. Those dials have been great, but the speedo convertor has been a bit dicky. I sorted that with a new convertor (£20) but I've now gone one step further...

Basically, the transmission outputs speed in KMH. The OEM UK clocks have an internal convertor (essentially a resistor which turns every '1' pulse into '0.62' of a pulse). The JDM clocks I had ofc didn't have that built in convertor so they reported the native speed in KMH.

This is worked around by JDM importers by an external convertor, and by "editing" the speedo dial face by scribbling out the 'K' with a biro so it just reads "MH". What used to represent 180KPH now represents 180MPH, etc.

That little blob of Biro has been pissing me off no end. It's invisible in the night but when the sun catches it, it's quite obvious.

Sooo... I bought a new dial cluster. This time from a UK spec Hawkeye STI which had been exported to Lithuania, and I brought the clocks back to the UK via an eBay purchase

The Hawkeye STI clocks have got the red, the swoop and they natively convert/read in MPH. Yay!

So, here's the before - see the blob on the speedo?

Whilst powered on:

Old vs New:

New - no blob, but a weird subtle difference is that UK clocks "Remember" the fuel level and don't reset to zero, JDM ones drop to zero when car is switched off.

UK Hawk Clocks in, and powered up:

Subtle difference is that DCCD becomes C Diff and the "redline" starts at 7k rather than 8k.

Not so subtle difference is that my car has just gone 9000miles back in time

I got my mileage adjusted in Manchester last time, I really CBA with a one off trip again so for now I'll keep note of my "real" mileage delta and will get it adjusted back up to speed when I find somebody more local.

So thanks to a blob of Biro, I'm now on my third dial cluster:

OEM:

JDM:

UK Hawk:

Simon 16v asked me why I didn't just get UK Hawk clocks in the first place. Valid question, but at the time I wasn't exactly sure what cars got what clocks, and how compatibility worked. When the JDM (quite rare) clocks came up for sale, I jumped on them as I knew they would work. I learned about the Hawk UK ones later, oh well. Luckily since Hawk headgaskets are popping on a weekly basis, these clusters are fairly easy to get hold of

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

15th May 13 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UK Hawk in Km/h??!?!?!
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, KMH is the smaller inner ring and MPH is the 0-160 round the outside.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

15th May 13 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

na... i'm a spanner and didnt see the MPH bottom right
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might scribble the KMH bits out with a pen to avoid further confusion

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

15th May 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that gained you a lot haha. New dials are nicer though. Not as empty looking
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th May 13 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep well worth it I think I'm going to get a proper auto sparky to redo my wiring where the old convertor was removed. My soldering iron has about had it, and my joins aren't good tbh.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

16th May 13 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

next time i see you im gonna make sure im armed with a biro
Jambo

16th May 13 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loving this project. Still can't believe how you went from 0-100moddkng miles an hour out of no where lol.

I need some of that foamy degreaser me thinks!
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th May 13 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Jambo, that degreaser is soon becoming the stuff of legends. I shall make an effort to buy more and photograph it!

I left work a few minutes early today to get over to Midas Touch to collect my wheels

I got there and they were properly busy due to yesterdays powercut, and my tyres weren't on yet! I hung around while he put the rubber on and balanced the wheels. I was dead impressed with my first viewing of the colour, it was exactly what I want and the finish appears to be spot on.

The previously buckled wheel took slightly more weight to balance, but barely - they all required less than 20g which apparently is good.

Total was £195 for the repair, powdercoating and powdercoating of my old ARBs. I handed £200 over and set off on my way, well excited

Got them home, then inside for a bit of loving before going on the car.

I gave them all a quick wipe down, once over with Autoglym SRP then a couple of coats of Poorboys' with 20mins or so to cure between coats.

Got them on the car with a little bit of drama, I'd left the handbrake off at somepoint so as soon as the car touched down it started rolling away from me, and the door was locked It came to a stop without harm, so went for a shakedown

Pictures suck as it was getting dark and I needed to rush home to tidy the house, viewing tomorrow

This was my first drive since refurbing my shocks all those months ago in which nothing was "wrong" with the car. I've been waiting for alignment, wheel balance, round wheels, etc - and finally I could go for a blast with confidence.

The car felt great, the Vredestein tyres really are impressive so far. I've got them on the front with my underwhelming Rainsports on the back and the car felt excellent. Just heavy enough to feel sturdy at pace but still feeds back through the wheel nicely in quicker bends.

I only had 10-15 miles in it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd have emptied the tank if I had time I was having so much fun

Clean and photos at the weekend, ofc

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

16th May 13 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheels look fantastic and i love that pic of the car!
im getting some vredestiens for the rear of mine tomorrow. cant wait to ditch the run flats, especially for such a well rated tyre
Christopher

16th May 13 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fresh Looks very clean with the cleaned up arches and fresh paint on the wheels! Nice one buddy

<<  16    17    18    19    20    21    22  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0204260 seconds