corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple iPhone 5s/5c

New Poll
  <<  16    17    18    19    20    21    22  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple iPhone 5s/5c
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
13th Sep 13 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like this 5S release will be like the 4? Where you could not pre-order you could only get one on the day or put and order in on release day and get it later (that said you could reserve one to pick up but still required hours of queuing )

I think they have a shortage of the 5 in comparison to the 5C which has been in production for longer going by the leaked photos
A2H GO

13th Sep 13 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Clearly trying to push the 5c sales up in some way.

Or they're genuinely short on stock.
Rob_Quads

13th Sep 13 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like some of the 5S pricings are coming out.

EE have released theirs. Voda you can roughly work out what they will be from the 5C prices
LeeM

13th Sep 13 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the voda prices are the same as the 5C but +£80 upfront i'll get a 5s
Dan
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, im due an upgrade as of today. I currently have a 4s. Whats the noticeable differences?

Im assuming the speed and weight is the only real main benefits?

I think when I went from my 3g to the 4s I barely noticed anything other than the speed, and felt mega disappointed, but, when its gone from a nokia to an iphone all them years ago, it was a huge technological breakthrough, now its just small upgrades to an already good bit of kit?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Bart

15th Sep 13 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speed, weight, screen size, camera quality, video frame rate, finger print recognition among the most noticeable.

I think the market will remain fairly stagnant for a few years now, for all vendors, not just apple.

[Edited on 15-09-2013 by Bart]
John

15th Sep 13 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It won't, always new technology coming out. Because Apple don't implement it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Bart

15th Sep 13 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It won't, always new technology coming out. Because Apple don't implement it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Its not just relative to Apple, what other manufactures have some serious (hardware) features that Apple doesn't?
John

15th Sep 13 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samsung/Google/LG stick the best stuff at the time in. Even if they weren't already, 2014 flagships will all have 64 bit processors. Better screens than apple, wireless charging will only get better. If I knew the next killer feature though I wouldn't be typing on here, I'd be working for Google.
Dom

15th Sep 13 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:

Its not just relative to Apple, what other manufactures have some serious (hardware) features that Apple doesn't?

Better camera sensors and higher resolution and PPI displays are the main features other manufacturers offer. You obviously have wireless charging but i'd say that still in it's infancy.

One feature i'm surprised Apple haven't gone with is NFC; i'd have thought Apple would be all over contact-less payments - tbf, they're probably working on it and finding ways off monetising it.
John

15th Sep 13 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly technical issue with metal case? Maybe not enough space for another antenna? Would be less than surprising if the case is redesigned next year and it suddenly has it.
Bart

15th Sep 13 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry, ment stagnant in terms of 'new' technology, obviously cameras, CPU etc will keep getting refreshed.

NFC is one that I am surprised hasn't arrive yet, perhaps Apple are still trying to get it right?
They could easily add NFC payment and skim a fee (maybe 1%) on top of every purchase and they'd make billions.

Its a shame we're not seeing new battery technology.

I cant see displays changing that much for a while, Steve jobs was quite right that current resolutions is the best the human eye can see, any higher and it wouldn't make any difference.

[Edited on 15-09-2013 by Bart]
A2H GO

15th Sep 13 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Samsung/Google/LG stick the best stuff at the time in...

Don't agree, Nexus didn't even have LTE

S4 had no new tech (hardware wise) at all over the S3, even more of a minor update than Apple usually do.

You already know my view's on why Apple won't put wireless charging in (bet 10% of the nexus 4 owners on here have used it).

As for NFC, Apple already have something better and it was in last years phone (iBeacons and low power bluetooth).
John

15th Sep 13 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nexus 4 was an experiment imo. A year ago LTE wasn't as big an issue either, it is now and the new one will have it. (4 actually has an LTE chip as I'm sure you know).

1080 resolution screen is a pretty big hardware jump. If Apple add an extra couple of pixels and brand it as Retina and it's an amazing feature.

Wireless charging will be ubiquitous, as always, Apple will have iWicharge and it'll be as if they invented it.
A2H GO

15th Sep 13 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple were well ahead with 'retina' and PPI at the time of the iPhone 4. 1080p is overkill on a 4" screen, that would be innovation for innovations sake (making it bigger is not innovation).

Interesting to see how many LTE bands the N5 supports, since 5S supports them all now (I think?).

Apple will adopt wireless charging after all the other companies have spent enough to make it useful.

[Edited on 15-09-2013 by A2H GO]
Nath

15th Sep 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

S4 has more RAM than an S3, faster processor, 1080p as opposed to 720, bigger screen, extra 5MP on the camera, better forward facing camera..... But other than that yes, the hardware is the same.....
A2H GO

15th Sep 13 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All things (bar the screen) the 5S has over the 5, none of it new.

The 5S has 120fps recording, 64bit architecture and fingerprint scanner on top.

When the Galaxy S5 has a fingerprint scanner(that works) and 64bit processor it'll be the best thing since sliced bread.

[Edited on 15-09-2013 by A2H GO]
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new iPhone has a finger print scanner?
Dom

15th Sep 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Apple will adopt wireless charging after all the other companies have spent enough to make it useful.

But surely they'll develop something proprietary rather than go with a standard? It's Apple's usual plan-of-attack.

BLE has it's uses, ie you'd use it in sensors that connect to a network for transmitting data, but I'm failing to see the advantage of using BLE over NFC for contact-less payments (or reward cards) I'd rather the extra security of touching my phone (phone being a proxy to my bank account) to a payment terminal rather than someone being able to charge something to phone tens of metres away.
A2H GO

15th Sep 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're right they probably will. Whatever they end up doing they'll be keeping it quiet until it's fully functional/useful. You've already seen the patents for truly wireless charging...

Companies are starting to develop BLE terminals already, whether it becomes more popular than NFC is yet to be seen, regardless it's what Apple seem to be backing.
John

15th Sep 13 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't wait to get my 5S to then post on here how shit it is and then get a nexus 5
A2H GO

15th Sep 13 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll hate it, guaranteed.
Robbo

16th Sep 13 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what colour is everyone going for?
Wrighty

16th Sep 13 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wanna have a look at them in store before deciding but i think i want the champagne coloured one
Balling
Premium Member

16th Sep 13 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
wanna have a look at them in store before deciding but i think i want the champagne coloured one
It will go great with the make-up kit you carry in your purse.

<<  16    17    18    19    20    21    22  >>

New Poll