corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Apple iMac

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Apple iMac
ed

User status: Offline
5th May 04 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one you're looking at is an I mac anyway... But thats going off on a tangent now... You could build a better PC for the same, maybe even less money than that, but if the I Mac does what you like, then I'd get it, cos the discount is pretty nice, still seems a bit expensive though, have you looked at the Dell website?
ed

5th May 04 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
didnt the mac adverts for the G5 get pulled cause it claimed to be something it wasnt? 'the fastest home PC in the world' or some shit.

Yes
andy hirst

5th May 04 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get one lad you will never regret it, since chaning i have never had 1 problem.
Gavin
Premium Member

5th May 04 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the look

but i aint too kind on the software..... and compabability of it with other devices

pew pew pew pewwwww
Marc

5th May 04 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also cant Macs run pc software but not the other way round?
Noonster

5th May 04 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

andy hirst - whats it like on the web etc....??

16vmarc - yeah thats right

B19 Gav - what you meen, not compatable etc...??
Natz

5th May 04 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont you have to buy about 5 bits of sw for it to recognise windows applications?

macs are well sexy though! i think its hp who have brought out a PC very similar to the mac which is also very sexy, but a small mini tower form rather than a lil sphere shape
andy hirst

5th May 04 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Noonster19

Its mint on the web, and compatability, its more compatible with devices than PC's are. When you plug a printer in for example, it just installs it and thats it, with a pc you have to put discs in and set it up and shit,, same with cameras, ext hard drives, memory cards. Everything just WORKS and thats all there is to it. Also if you got broadband there is all the software avialable on the net, i get all mine off suprnova and p2p.

ANOTHER ADVANTAGE: most viruses are written for PC's thay dont affect macs, everyone i know has got this new worm and is stressing about it, I aint

MACS rule!!!!
andy hirst

5th May 04 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Natz
dont you have to buy about 5 bits of sw for it to recognise windows applications?

macs are well sexy though! i think its hp who have brought out a PC very similar to the mac which is also very sexy, but a small mini tower form rather than a lil sphere shape

Macs will recognise all windows files, and will run them if you have conectix virtual pc installed, which is a 30mb download, and a copy of windows. no point though because mac apps are better anyway.
R Lee

5th May 04 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a powerbook g4 which i hardly ever use
ed

5th May 04 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy hirst
quote:

Its mint on the web, and compatability, its more compatible with devices than PC's are. When you plug a printer in for example, it just installs it and thats it, with a pc you have to put discs in and set it up and shit,, same with cameras, ext hard drives, memory cards. Everything just WORKS and thats all there is to it. Also if you got broadband there is all the software avialable on the net, i get all mine off suprnova and p2p.

ANOTHER ADVANTAGE: most viruses are written for PC's thay dont affect macs, everyone i know has got this new worm and is stressing about it, I aint

MACS rule!!!!

Oh, so when I put plug and play devices into my PC it doesn't automatically recognise them. Hmmm, almost every product for PC's are plug and play too, plug the new printer in, it wors, punt the second hard disk in, it works, plug the camera in, guess what IT WORKED! No disks needed on modern PC's...
Hagger

5th May 04 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Willay - Macs are better than a PC mate

PC good if you wanna play games.
Macs better for the internet and running applications

^^ Simple

i work on macs everyday , theyre wank
had an imac about a month ago , 2 weeks after using it the screen stopped working for no reason

they crash more times than a pc as well , and theyre shit for doing more than 1 thing at once , when im printing summit off the mac at work , i never run anything else incase it crashes, fooking dog poo!
Noonster

6th May 04 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

andy hirst - cheers mate.

Mr. Penguin - why did you get it and why dont you sell it??

Hagger - ok
Noonster

6th May 04 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My bro has just ordered a 15.2" powerbook....

Gets it 2mora. so will get to see what the os is like etc....

Cant afford it anyways so dont know why im lookin
Noonster

9th May 04 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It arrives on monday now - cant wait to have a play......

Panter looks sweet - http://www.apple.com/macosx/video/large.html
Dom

9th May 04 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

macs will out perform a pc anyday...just go look at reviews and stuff, there is plenty of proof out there

However, it is true that you could build a better pc and there is more software available for a pc than a mac (game-wise mostly) however, Winblows is the worst piece of shite for a pc you can ever get. You may have a 3gig pc, but windows is the worst written piece of software ever and uses shite loads of resources...unlike a mac. Because the operating system (based on Unix) is extremely close linked with the architecture of the processor (and they only have a support one type of processor, not a few like windows) apple can get the most out of it and this goes for the hardware too.

As to the few of you who complain about makes not multitasking, well thats BS it handles apps better that windows will ever do and when i use the macs in the studio, we have about 5 apps running, with each one communicating with different peices of hardware (internal pci cards as well as external stuff on USB) and have only had a few crashes - 1 being due to a dodgy audio plugin someone installed and the rest are dodgy harddrives. So there stable as anything and yes we have thought about moving over to a pc because of prices, speed etc. Put we brought one in, running XP...updated to the balls on security updates and bug fixes, and we wacked all of the external audio boxes (001s and digidesign HD systems) and we switch on for the first and it causes an error straight away....you will never see that with a mac

And im bound to get a reply saying, why arnt you using a mac then if its soooo great, well the reason is because a pc is alot cheaper than a mac (which i cant afford...a decent g4 will set me back about 1500 quid, or a G5 about 2-3k) and thats the only reason. If my music gear ran on linux i would use that, because linux is the only thing on a pc that can compete with a mac...but linux will never take off because of all the free GPL crap etc and why would a company like digidesign or Adobe re-create code when they arnt going to get any money from it...or very little if they do?

Anyways, i say get it mate, you wont look back unless you play loads of games....but remember, press the apple key to get the right mouse button
Noonster

9th May 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VM - nice one mate..... thanks for the reply
Noonster

9th May 04 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OH and VM check out ebay you can pick up a descent mac for about £845 like the one i posted
Dom

9th May 04 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
OH and VM check out ebay you can pick up a descent mac for about £845 like the one i posted

yea ive looked on there a few times...but i really need a G4/G5 because i have a few PCI cards to install for my audio gear, so it rules out iMacs and laptops Other problem is the whole speed thing, we're running a few 1Gig macs in the studio and we only got them in about a year ago and already we having problems with the machine handling all of the audio streams...ie: sending out 20 tracks of audio, on top of recording a number of tracks in from the played instruments..so it looks like we're either going to a new PC (which know one is interested in doing) or a new G5...but means we cant get other equipment, since we a got a quote of about 3,5K for the system we need
Noonster

9th May 04 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

andy hirst

10th May 04 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
macs will out perform a pc anyday...just go look at reviews and stuff, there is plenty of proof out there

However, it is true that you could build a better pc and there is more software available for a pc than a mac (game-wise mostly) however, Winblows is the worst piece of shite for a pc you can ever get. You may have a 3gig pc, but windows is the worst written piece of software ever and uses shite loads of resources...unlike a mac. Because the operating system (based on Unix) is extremely close linked with the architecture of the processor (and they only have a support one type of processor, not a few like windows) apple can get the most out of it and this goes for the hardware too.

As to the few of you who complain about makes not multitasking, well thats BS it handles apps better that windows will ever do and when i use the macs in the studio, we have about 5 apps running, with each one communicating with different peices of hardware (internal pci cards as well as external stuff on USB) and have only had a few crashes - 1 being due to a dodgy audio plugin someone installed and the rest are dodgy harddrives. So there stable as anything and yes we have thought about moving over to a pc because of prices, speed etc. Put we brought one in, running XP...updated to the balls on security updates and bug fixes, and we wacked all of the external audio boxes (001s and digidesign HD systems) and we switch on for the first and it causes an error straight away....you will never see that with a mac

And im bound to get a reply saying, why arnt you using a mac then if its soooo great, well the reason is because a pc is alot cheaper than a mac (which i cant afford...a decent g4 will set me back about 1500 quid, or a G5 about 2-3k) and thats the only reason. If my music gear ran on linux i would use that, because linux is the only thing on a pc that can compete with a mac...but linux will never take off because of all the free GPL crap etc and why would a company like digidesign or Adobe re-create code when they arnt going to get any money from it...or very little if they do?

Anyways, i say get it mate, you wont look back unless you play loads of games....but remember, press the apple key to get the right mouse button

AMEN

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Apple iMac 23 database queries in 0.0090251 seconds